LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for an M6 goat but we all know about the totally low supply of manuals right now. I could probably get an A4 much easier but I don't want to give up on the 6 speed just yet.

I do talk on the cell phone once in a while while commuting long distances but I have the hands-free accesories to go with it. I don't want to miss out on the fun of shifting your own knob :) :) :) but I don't think life with the GTO A4 will be any less fun in a car with this much power and torque.

So you A4 owners out there...any buyer's remorse or regrets? If you had to do it all over again, would you have gotten an M6 or still pick an A4.

On second thought, who cares? I just want my goat! :( :( :(

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
i went to test drive a GTO. i wanted to drive an M6 b/c that is what i want. but the only M6 they had was in the show room. so i had to settle for the A4. it was ok. but it seemed like it was missing something. didn't seem as "peppy" as i expected. maybe cuz the engine is still brand new. but anyways. I AM definetly getting an M6,

·
Registered
881 Posts
I've had my A4 for 2 1/2 months and 2500 miles now, and I'm still in love.
My driving is 90% stoplight to stoplight, and our Interstate is a parking lot.
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have a M6, but my daily drive consists of
coffee and nextel beep-beep.
Lately I've been driving in 3rd, and upshifting to D only when I drive over 50.
Seems like the converter stays locked up, and I get some engine braking action.
Feels like it's better attached to the pavement, instead of coasting half the time
in D.
I have a laptop, but no computer knowledge to tackle HPtuners. Maybe a local
shop with LS1Edit experience can handle it for me if I buy the HP setup.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
desertgoat said:
I am in the market for an M6 goat but we all know about the totally low supply of manuals right now. I could probably get an A4 much easier but I don't want to give up on the 6 speed just yet.

I do talk on the cell phone once in a while while commuting long distances but I have the hands-free accesories to go with it. I don't want to miss out on the fun of shifting your own knob :) :) :) but I don't think life with the GTO A4 will be any less fun in a car with this much power and torque.

So you A4 owners out there...any buyer's remorse or regrets? If you had to do it all over again, would you have gotten an M6 or still pick an A4.

NO regrets at all.....I am in the same situation as paco.....mostly stop and go...This car is awesome...either way you will be very happy!!!

·
Snagging your fish!!!
157 Posts
desertgoat said:

Same boat I'm in too. I want, well actually I don't know yet, but I think that I'm going to go with the A4, but I want to shift my own gears too. The M6 is really the only way to go on the street for the fun factor, but I want to do massive smokey burnouts, without the worry of the clutch. The GTO will not be my daily driver, but my future wife wants to ba able to drive the car, and she doesn't know how to drive a manual. and, I want her to drive the car,(cringes at the thought) as everyone(well everyone) should be able to drive a high powered sports coupe.
I guess that the biggest thing holding me back in the purchase of of an A4, is the dreded "torque management." Old Goat did some excellent posts of the contruction of the A4, and torque management. Basicly, TM is GM's excuse not to put a bulletproof trans behind the LS1. So, that in a nutshell, is why maybe, I might get the M6.

·
Registered
523 Posts
desertgoat said:

I recommend that you hold out for what you really want.

Check out Peoria Pontiac-GMC (623-977-4000); ask for Dan Colvan. He sold me mine and treated me well. Service Dept. seems genuinely interested in keeping the customer happy, too. According to http://www.gmbuypower.com/ they have one M-6. In my experience, that means they may have the invoice, but not the car, as yet.

PM me if you want additional insight to this dealer.
Good Luck

:thumbs:

·
Registered
150 Posts
desertgoat, check my post in "for sale section". There is a M6 Barbados at coury pontiac in Mesa.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dryheat said:
desertgoat, check my post in "for sale section". There is a M6 Barbados at coury pontiac in Mesa.

thanks for all the replies, especially the AZ members. Only silver, impulse, and black colors are considered at this time.......I think I'll just wait until the market becomes a little bit more favorable as more and more shipments come in from Oz. I heard something like only 3K goats out of 18K have been slaughtered from the Holden farm.....

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have no regrets with the A-4, but I don't have and have not driven the M-6. I can guess that drivetrain wise it would be similar to the 6 speed Firehawk LT-1 that I had, and the 1-4 skip never bothered me because I drove around it. Kinda nice to be clutchless for a change. Looking forward to learning all the A-4 tricks so I can run against some M-6 Goats at the track. That will be fun.

Wait for what you want.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Get exactly what you want

Any GTO will be a sizeable purchase. think it over and only settle on exactly what you want and nothing less.

have been driving a z06 6 speed he last couple of days and enjoying it. But have found that I "play" with it too much because it is so much fun.I am sure I am getting something in the low single digit MPG. But for me, its a fun thing to have the clutch and 6 speed, but would get tired of it after a couple of months in stop and go. Had my daughter drive the Z06 for the first time with the 6 speed. WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!! thank goodness the clutch is thick!!!!

dms

·
Registered
63 Posts
If its consistent 1/4 mile times and ease of driving, go the auto, in a drag, most times an auto will beat a manual given the same amount of power.

If you like more involvement and do trackwork, go the manual.

Since I do alot of city driving and stop light drags, auto imo is the way to go, leave it in 3rd for under 90kph and D for over.

·
Bonzai Baby
211 Posts
Here are my thoughts (As I've said in other threads, this is the first auto I've owned in 30+ years of driving):

When I want a 4-cyl, it has to be a Manual regardless of what type of car it is.

When I want a 6-cyl; Auto for a family type car (never had one), Manual for everthing else (sport - no trucks/SUV).

When I want a V8, same as for a 6-cyl. I guess that means I have a family (2 people) car, for the first time, with big power. I can turn the AC on without fear of loosing power!! I also think I must have convinced myself that I'm done with the race stuff.

Getting old, or just sick of NY/NJ traffic?? Probably the later.

Like everyone else has said, they are both great cars!! Get what you want based upon what's important in your life.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
I'm in the same boat as everyone else here... or am I in the same traffic jam??? :sneaky:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Daily Driver in Traffic = A4
Weekend Cruiser = M6

If my GTO were my daily driver, I would probably have "settled" on the A4. As a "weekends only" car, however, I am very happy to have the M6.

·
3,327 Posts
White Rider said:
I think there was somone on here that sold their auto and bought a manual!
That would be Stormguy. Havent seen him around lately though.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
M6 rocks!

I had a 97Z 30th Anniversary Camaro. It had an A4 and it was fun and
fast, but compared to this M6 goat the fun meter went way up and
isn't that what it's all about?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts