LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the shifter in our car tied into the tranny through a cable or is it electronic?

Does anyone make a ratchet shifter for the automatic in our cars?

Loved the B&M I had in my 91 Z28 and while I was up shifting from 3rd to Drive the other day - I went to far and hit neutral. Would have been fun if I hit reverse at 80mph.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Anyone?

·
1,263 Posts
Sure do need a better one than the one we have, I'll hit 2nd or 3rd and the shift force makes me pull it back down into 2nd or whatever, I've also gone to neutral. Scarey, don't want to see all those parts all over the street behind me. Anyone with any info, please pass it along...

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
I doubt you'll see one, there's no need for it since the computer can outshift a human every time. Why would you want to take away the shift consistency, one of the main advantages of an auto trans? If you want to shift buy an M6 car :D

·
Love Me My Goat!!!
64 Posts
What is a ratchet shifter for an A4? Whats it do? how does it work? Hurst makes some cool lookin ones. Doesnt the computer still shift for you with one? Anyone have experiance with these?

·
bolt-ons =11.52
1,660 Posts
will not work .try to shift under power from 2 to 3 even when you do it the trans takes a second to shift , so a ratchet just adds weight to the car with little help other than bling. so just put it in 3rd and hammer it

·
Love Me My Goat!!!
64 Posts
Yeah, it sure does take off like a bat outta hell in 3rd, god i love this car! OK, so the "ratchet shifter" is not worth getting and will not work? Its too bad cause it looks real old school. I thought the GTO from the movie "the Punisher" had one, it looked really friggin mean and serious. I think it makes the Auto Trans look...well...more muscle-carish. I'm glad i dont have to shift with a heavy duty clutch in traffic, but a ratchet shifter seems cool and fun, kinda like my bros Comp G with the tap shift.

Besides performance has anyone put one on for looks??!?? God the hurst Auto with the T handle just looks cool!

ANyone?!? GTO brothers!?! Old or new goats with Ratchet shifters?

·
Need A Little Beethoven?
5,639 Posts
I don't think anyone has one and I hope to never see it, it would look horrible and serve no real purpose unless you put in a full manual valve body.

·
Mindless Poo Flinger
2,711 Posts
no cable, a plastic bracket that ties into a shift rod......take a look at it, you'll think twice about messing with the gears after one look at the plastic piece

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,916 Posts
I have thought of taking out the handle for a new on, or painting the silver Yellow to match the car/gages.

It's way down on the list of priorities. +1 on the ratchet shifter being useless, re-tune the computer.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
TEK GTO said:
I doubt you'll see one, there's no need for it since the computer can outshift a human every time. Why would you want to take away the shift consistency, one of the main advantages of an auto trans? If you want to shift buy an M6 car :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts