LS1GTO Forums banner

A4 - Vs - M6

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  cdgoin 
#1 ·
undefinedI was just wondering if anyone knew the difference in production numbers. After checking out the posts here, seems like there are a lot more M6 owners than A4, but from other sites, I have read that the M6 is only going to be 20-25% of total production. The numbers do not quite add up for me. Any suggestions for a new memeber?

On another note, without another post, I pre-ordered in June, had a TPW of 12-8, and my car arrived in the USA on 1-21-04. No VIN information as of 1-27, and no clue when it will arrive at my dealer. I do live in Kansas though, and that is pretty close to one of the main railway shipping centers (fairfax is actually Kansas City) Thanks for an awesome site.

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

#2 ·
Welcome aboard. You will now be learning patience. There are people with September 2003 TPW that don't have their VIN yet. It turns out that even cars going to Washington (the state) go through Fairfax. You are living in the best spot for a quicker delivery.
:drink: :drink:

#3 ·
Warren said:
After checking out the posts here, seems like there are a lot more M6 owners than A4, but from other sites, I have read that the M6 is only going to be 20-25% of total production. The numbers do not quite add up for me. Any suggestions for a new memeber?
Easy explanation (at least I think so):
M6 GTO (or manual anything) is more of an enthusiast's car, compared to the automatic version. And an online forum for a vehicle attracts mostly enthusiasts, hence the numbers you are seeing (mostly M6 people).

#4 ·
kevm14 said:
Easy explanation (at least I think so):
M6 GTO (or manual anything) is more of an enthusiast's car, compared to the automatic version. And an online forum for a vehicle attracts mostly enthusiasts, hence the numbers you are seeing (mostly M6 people).
That does make a lot of sense, but sometimes you hear BS strings from people that hear things from people. I have heard (and this may be true..) that only like 6% of production was going to be Cosmos Purple, and only 14% of those were M6. I hope my buddy didnt get duped by the dealer in his color choice. :) :p :D :cool:

Warren

#5 ·
6 of one half dozen of another.

For consistency, low 60' and low E.T.'s (stock for stock or Mod for mod), A4's are better.

So not ALL "enthusiasts" will agree that it must come with a manual cog selector. This is from an M6 owner too!

#8 ·
Warren said:
That does make a lot of sense, but sometimes you hear BS strings from people that hear things from people. I have heard (and this may be true..) that only like 6% of production was going to be Cosmos Purple, and only 14% of those were M6. I hope my buddy didnt get duped by the dealer in his color choice. :) :p :D :cool:

Warren
Hey Warren I hope your car gets here soon and this sh*^^y weather clears up so we can get them together. BTW as far as the Cosmos #s it's 6% in color and 30% of those would be M6. Hope your trip to Hays and back was free of any trouble. How did the Red Head date go? DJ

#9 ·
40THGTO said:
Hey Warren I hope your car gets here soon and this sh*^^y weather clears up so we can get them together. BTW as far as the Cosmos #s it's 6% in color and 30% of those would be M6. Hope your trip to Hays and back was free of any trouble. How did the Red Head date go? DJ
This weather sucks. We are supposed to get another 8-10 inches of snow by the middle of the day tomorrow. But I would rather have snow than the ice we had on Saturday.

The red head was just absolutely and totally boring. I dont know how I stayed awake during dinner. ugh. Did have another date yesterday though, and that seems to be going pretty well, have another date tomorrow. and she is younger. :thumbs:

Warren

#10 ·
CMNTMXR57 said:
6 of one half dozen of another.

For consistency, low 60' and low E.T.'s (stock for stock or Mod for mod), A4's are better.

So not ALL "enthusiasts" will agree that it must come with a manual cog selector. This is from an M6 owner too!
True, but an M6 will be better/faster from anything but a standing start (i.e. higher trap speed). Not to mention, I don't really see the GTO is a drag car. I think an F-Body would be a much better choice for the drag racer. But, I suppose people do drag race with Vettes...

#11 ·
kevm14 said:
M6 GTO (or manual anything) is more of an enthusiast's car, compared to the automatic version
I must be the exception then because I most assuredly am an "enthusiast" but will be getting the automatic because I often am in bumper to bumper traffic on the expressways (that suck here) and am tired of doing the "clutch in, clutch out, clutch in, clutch out" routine.

Anyway, the impromptu street racing (yes, it still goes on :D) here in the Detroit metro area is from light to light (with some :D exceptions) and not a full quarter of a mile.

But the biggest reason is the traffic. :(

#14 ·
Agreed.. I have a BMW 328I and an Opel Manta that are both stick and I love them.

But am ordering a A4, the M6 isn't any faster overall, and the 1-4 skip is annoying.

Last but not least, I daily drive 50 miles a day, and to be honest the daily chore of shifting the BMW (which has a nice clutch, not to grippy and not to soft) isn't that fun in traffic. The M6 requires a lot of shifting (especially with the 1-4 skip shift) and I find the clutch real touchy.

Charles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.