LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So to start, I’ve been chasing a little demon in my car for a minute now, car feels a little boggy and not quite as peppy as usual and I’ve not really been able to figure it out. Something tells me to check my injectors and fuel pump/filter thinking it’s fuel related, but I have also noticed a hairline crack in the top of my Red Top battery by the negative terminal post. This causes my “ABS Fault” light to come on for a half sec while starting if my car sits for a while. So for shiggles I decided to hook up a scan tool and still found no codes. Then I went to digging around and found 3 stored in the ABS through my scan tool and tested my battery, with no surprise, to find it needs replacing. Question is, could the battery be causing all the issues or should I still look into the fuel system for the bogging? Injector area on IM looks dirty for sure and my oil is a little strong with fuel. The codes are U2105-00, U2106-00, and C0800-03. Not sure if those are all from bad battery or not. Car is an 05 A4 with 80k miles. Cold Air Inductions box with Fast IAT, JBA cat delete, Borla S-type catback and a tune ( done prior to cat delete but no codes popped after deleting) Sorry if this is rambling on lol, hopefully someone has some helpful info. I plan on changing the battery anyway cause it’s cracked so maybe someone also has a recommendation for a good replacement as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well if your oil is smelling of fuel I'd still have the injectors tested. One or more of them could be hanging open a little bit causing your issue for the bogging.

As far as the abs codes. The battery code deff cause the abs codes. I would replace the battery and then recheck for abs codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if your oil is smelling of fuel I'd still have the injectors tested. One or more of them could be hanging open a little bit causing your issue for the bogging.

As far as the abs codes. The battery code deff cause the abs codes. I would replace the battery and then recheck for abs codes.
So I still need to use a multimeter to test the voltage of each injector but I used a long screwdriver while the car was running to listen to the injectors just now and they all sound to be working properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I still need to use a multimeter to test the voltage of each injector but I used a long screwdriver while the car was running to listen to the injectors just now and they all sound to be working properly.
going to change the oil later today and run some fuel treatment through. Hopefully I can get a new battery this week. Any suggestions on your favorite one BertsGTO?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also I would like to add that I basically started noticing the issue after I looked at my MAF (previous owner had it flipped around so the screen was on the other side?) and flipped it around correctly. I then put a new air filter on that was oiled, so maybe this is all the MAF acting out?

·
Worthless reject member
39,152 Posts
ABS faults, fuel guage error messages, and even the airbag light can pop up on your cluster because of low voltage. the codes you pulled might be consistent with that. engine performance can also be affected by low system voltage. all the same, i am surprised you never got a low system voltage (battery dummy light) on the dash if that was the case.

the maf might now be contaminated with oil, so cleaning with MAF cleaner might solve that issue. Hopefully the owner didn't try his hand at tuning with a backwards MAF installed.

change the battery and spray off the MAF wires and see what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ABS faults, fuel guage error messages, and even the airbag light can pop up on your cluster because of low voltage. the codes you pulled might be consistent with that. engine performance can also be affected by low system voltage. all the same, i am surprised you never got a low system voltage (battery dummy light) on the dash if that was the case.

the maf might now be contaminated with oil, so cleaning with MAF cleaner might solve that issue. Hopefully the owner didn't try his hand at tuning with a backwards MAF installed.

change the battery and spray off the MAF wires and see what happens.
So I’m just as surprised because the battery reads 11-12 volts untill I turn the car on then it jumps to 14-15. I know it needs changing anyway but I guess I must have gotten one of the last good Optimas cause it doesn’t want to die lol. I even pulled and let it sit for a couple weeks and the car fired right up when I put it back in. None the less, I’ll be changing it soon. I did, however, already clean the maf a few times with MAF cleaner and haven’t really noticed a big difference. I also already flipped the maf back around and drove like that for a little while longer and still seems the same lol. I’m fairly certain the codes I pulled were from the low battery as well, just wasn’t sure how much of a difference you would feel with a weak battery and if anyone else has noticed cleaning the MAF to no success. I want to thank both of you either way for getting back to me and hopefully someone who’s had similar issues in an ls2 4l65 car will also add something here.

·
Worthless reject member
39,152 Posts
The low voltage could have occured while cranking. If the battery is sulfated and cannot hold as much of a charge when new, the amp draw while starting can pull the voltage down considerably.

Resting voltage for a lead acid should be 12.6 or so, maybe more depending on design. AGM's will be higher.

If your battery tested bad, this was probably the issue.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have to agree with Nothubertjfarnsworth. Resting voltage should be around 12.6. You need to have the battery load tested and see what it drops too. As far as the MAF being installed backwards and you correcting that. I would change the oil and run. The ecm could have to relearn the fuel tables now that it is getting the correct readings.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Injectors working? Good! How is the spray - the closer it is to a fine mist the better, test em !!!

Battery problems - these will lead to Alternator problems.
- trace all grounds (beginning and end) - remove ground (scrub & clean) then reinstall tight..Seal area to prevent corrosion. O2 is needed for corrosion to occur, prevent it with seal (clear plasti-coat spray).

Buying a new battery? Have auto parts store charge battery completely - auto store will not like doing this !!! They'll tell you to drive car for a while,,that's BS!!! Read and learn below CCA info:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts