LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have been trying to figure out a problem here. Just bought myself an 06 GTO, 83k miles, all original except for a pair of Magnaflow mufflers. I'm running in to a noise when the AC is turned off. It almost sounds like a power steering pump running low on fluid but that isn't it at all. It is coming directly from the AC compressor itself. Replaced the belt and the tensioner. Does this seem like a problem with the AC clutch? Have any of y'all dealt with this before? A/C still blows cold, works great and makes no noise when turned on...

·
Administrator
9,442 Posts
It may be the clutch dragging. You can check by removing the belt and spinning the pulley by hand, it should turn freely. If it's hard to turn that's your problem.
To fix it requires removing and repairing or replacing the clutch using the appropriate tools. This may be possible with the compressor installed by removing the fans and possibly the radiator, or it can be done with the compressor out of the car but then the system has to be evacuated and recharged.
It is also possible there is a problem with the pulley bearing, but that would probably still make noise with the AC on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my '06. I received opinions from everyone and just ended up taking it in to the most top-end Cadillac Dealer in Cleveland. I was sure they'd find something massively wrong and it'd cost a fortune. I was completely wrong!!!! They replaced the belts and gave it the general once over, to the tune of $360,00, and my GTO now purrs like the fat cat it is. …..just a thought and my adventure with the same problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It may be the clutch dragging. You can check by removing the belt and spinning the pulley by hand, it should turn freely. If it's hard to turn that's your problem.
To fix it requires removing and repairing or replacing the clutch using the appropriate tools. This may be possible with the compressor installed by removing the fans and possibly the radiator, or it can be done with the compressor out of the car but then the system has to be evacuated and recharged.
It is also possible there is a problem with the pulley bearing, but that would probably still make noise with the AC on.
Thanks for the info. I did as you said, released tension on the belt and then spun the pulley. It had no drag at all. It spun really well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same problem with my '06. I received opinions from everyone and just ended up taking it in to the most top-end Cadillac Dealer in Cleveland. I was sure they'd find something massively wrong and it'd cost a fortune. I was completely wrong!!!! They replaced the belts and gave it the general once over, to the tune of $360,00, and my GTO now purrs like the fat cat it is. …..just a thought and my adventure with the same problem
Thanks for answering. I have put on new belts and a new tensioner pulley but the noise still exists. Did the dealer give you any idea as to what else may have been a problem?

·
Registered
33 Posts
You mentioned that you replaced the tensioner pulley, but what about the tensioner itself? I've had a squealing noise caused by the tensioner itself rather then the pulley. Also, there is an idler pulley that may also be a source of noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, it turns out it actually was the pulley bearing on the A/C unit itself. It got worse since my original post, i checked to see if the pulley still spun freely and it was tighter than it was before. I'm swapping out the old pulley and bearing with a different one. Should be good as new after. Thanks for the advise here, fellas.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Post up after. I tried this before and ended up damaging the shaft with the pulled tool, makes me wonder if a c-clip is behind the pulley bolt?
ended up getting a replacement compressor and that didn’t work so went through the rest of summer with no A/C :|

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Post up after. I tried this before and ended up damaging the shaft with the pulled tool, makes me wonder if a c-clip is behind the pulley bolt?
ended up getting a replacement compressor and that didn’t work so went through the rest of summer with no A/C :|
So I had a buddy who let me take his old compressor that was bad but had a good pulley. I've already taken that one apart. Theres the nut on the front, then you have to use a special tool to remove the clutch. I rented the tool set from Pep Boys. Then, after you remove that clutch, there was a c clip holding the pulley in. From there, I used a puller to remove the pulley and bearing off of the snout of the compressor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts