LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MAX-M6/LS1
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed all the inner panels from the trunk this weekend then unscrewed the sub amp so I could Dynamat the whole trunk and found that the little stock amp says it is 40 watts per channel. It also has a gain control on it (volume control). I turned up the gain and left it in when we went out to eat Saturday night. Let me tell you that it puts out a lot of base when its turned up. I opened the trunk and turned it down before we started home because it was booming so much. I dont know if having the trunk completely covered with Dynomat affected it or not. So if you can't afford a amp and sub woofer upgrade yet just turn it up the stock amp and it will pump some sounds out.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Careful with that approach, the gain controls on amps are NOT volume controls. If you crank it up too high, you'll get signal clipping which equals bottoming out the speaker and possibly blowing them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
radkon said:
Careful with that approach, the gain controls on amps are NOT volume controls. If you crank it up too high, you'll get signal clipping which equals bottoming out the speaker and possibly blowing them.
Where in the trunk is the sub amp? I have removed the one that covers the fuel tank area and did not find it.
Thanks

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
I think I heard on another post about this topic that its behind the panel in the trunk to the left of the gas tank (maybe mounted to a wheel well?)

·
1,263 Posts
I went out and looked, it is on the drivers side mounted to a plate, it faces outward toward the quarter panel. Remove the two uper most retainers and fold down the panel to expose four phillips screws. Once all are loose just lift and slide out, the adjustment is all the way up front of course, so ya have to lift it out. Took me a total of 5 minutes.

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
you don't need to lift it our OR remove the trunk lining! I was able to pull it back slightly and reach my arm in. It didn't take me long feeling around to find the amp and then the dial (it's a pretty small dial). I turned it up to about 90% and it sounds SOOOO much better!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
speed_demon_freak said:
That is a nice hiding space for items.
Can't hide from the K9 unit buddy...

·
MAX-M6/LS1
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are You Thinking He Wanted To Put Some Bud In There, I'm Sure He Meant To Hide His Tools From The Wife........................

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Just for ships and gigalo's I ran out the the garage, popped one plastic rivit loose (drivers side trunk top most rivit) pulled the rug back a bit and reached behind the trunk wall. Found the amp (it is right there) found the dial and turned it up. (clockwise)

I listened a bit. Improvement. Came back in to watch the game. I missed no more than 10 minutes of the game. Go Red Sox.

I left the rivit out so I can play a bit durring the comercial break.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts