LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Rear Seat Delete Builder
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on ebay someone was selling all the speakers from thier GTO. In one picture it showed the amp with the speakers and it had an adjustment. Canthey be adjusted? Also where is the rear located?

·
KBAS
221 Posts
Give me a minute... checking service manual

·
KBAS
221 Posts
Amplifier located in left rear wheel well on the chassis.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
from what i have been told, there is a gain adjuster, but you need to take out the back seat to get to the knob, but heres another question, is this amp for all of the speakers or just the two 6''s, cause i wouldnt want to turn up the gain on all of the speakers, dont think the smaller ones could handle it, but if the gain was just for the two "subs" then i would crank it there and turn the boost all the way down on the head unit.... any answers would be great!

·
Registered
113 Posts
gotzaGTO said:
from what i have been told, there is a gain adjuster, but you need to take out the back seat to get to the knob, but heres another question, is this amp for all of the speakers or just the two 6''s, cause i wouldnt want to turn up the gain on all of the speakers, dont think the smaller ones could handle it, but if the gain was just for the two "subs" then i would crank it there and turn the boost all the way down on the head unit.... any answers would be great!
There is a gain adjuster and if you plan on keeping stock you should bump it a bit. Definately a cheap fix for some cheap bass. You just need a phillips head screwdriver. Open the trunk, pull the tabs on the driver side out, then pull back the carpet... you should see four screws and a box (the amp). Loosen the four screws (you don't have to remove them) and slide the amp up and pull out. You can now get to the gain on the front of the amp. Dial it up a couple notches, shut the trunk, get back in and try it out. Keep doing it till you get the sound you like.

Whole thing takes about five minutes... and I should credit someone else on the forums that told me, but can't think of who it was.

·
KBAS
221 Posts
Service Manual says Subwoofer Amplifier. If it is adjustable, it would be on the amp itself, so you wouldn't need go behind the seat. I'll try and upload a pic.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
sweet!!!!!!!!!!!! im going to try it now.... did i ever tell you guys that you guys ROCK!!!!!!!! why didnt i think of loosing up the mounts...duh..... thanks again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was actually able to pull the carpet back and reach up and adjust mine without loosening the screws at all. The knob is all the way on the front of the amp. I just left the carpet loose and am still adjusting mine every couple of days to get it set just where I want. It definitely makes a difference.

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
How much of a difference in bass is this making?

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
careful guys this is a GAIN control not volume control. if you crank it up too much you'll get clipping which WILL dmamge the subs.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just jacked mine a bit...deeper bass....Nice! Didn't crank it too much for fear of damage, but to me it seems like the "subs" could handle a little more! ;)

Brett

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Need help!

I can't find it. I pulled back the entire trunk liner and I am staring at the gas tank and the metal shield protecting it but could not find this gain control.

I looked up and saw the bottom of the 2 speakers. That's it. Where is the knob?

·
Registered
110 Posts
You actually have to take out the left side of the trunk lining. The amp is behind the metal held by 4 screws.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
This is all I see....

I still can't find the knob. I removed the entire lining as you can see...

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
ok dg, i jsut did it, you need to look at the left side of the trunk, like on the fender, look 90 degrees to the left from your ? mark, there is a piece of sheet metal with four silver screws those screws hold the amp in... more to come in a sec, but i wanted you to have this info asap....

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
ok this is what i did, well first off i listen to alot of dance type music, but i listen to rock too... i put the dial on the second dot from the highest, + end of the range. with the boost to std and vol on 36, thats as high as i like the volume, its sounds AWSOME!!!!! turn the boost down to -2 and you can crank it w/out loosing bass!!!!! now on rock songs, i just turn the boost all the way down and it sounds fine, this is all based on the preset eq or "rock".... the knob is on the front of the amp...
now two things, first test the settings with the trunk lid down cause it does act like a "box" and second, the amp says "sub woofer amp" on it, and i messed with the dial and only had the fade to front and there was no change in the sound to the front speakers.... however the boost on the headunit does affect the front speakers bass, but i cranked it to +2 and cranked the vol to 40 and there was no distortion on my thumping music..... these arent too bad of stockers and with this adjustable gain, i am completely pleased with the stock system!!!!!

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
I just did it too! I was able to pull back the lining and stuff my arm up to the amp no problem. I cranked the gain by twisting it to the right. I didn't actually move the amp at all, so I'm not sure where the notches are, but I left it a couple centimeters from the max. The system sounds MUCH better! Thanks for the tips!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts