LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dang man, the way you guys keep putting it i really only need fuel system, turbos and turbo accessories and a tune.

I'm probably going to take it one step at a time, install turbos and fuel system and tune it, definitely going to add a 4 corner steam vent and relocate the battery to the trunk and street tune it, that way I can use the saved money to upgrade the brakes, the driveshaft, and the suspension and get the actual car up to par, then ill go all out with the cam and have it dyno tuned.
I would say that is what you need to get you to the 500 to 550 rwh level on pump gas with a good tune. Almost anything else can be decided later after you make sure the rest of your car can handle the new found power. Your on the right track spending money on brakes and suspension. Converting to the 05-06 brake setup is an inexpensive way to upgrade an 04.
While the cam may not be a necessity and a lot of people will tell you to ”just turn up the boost” instead. Unfortunately a stock shortblock and pump gas you can’t really do that so the cam will be a good way to get more power when you are octane limited.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I would say that is what you need to get you to the 500 to 550 rwh level on pump gas with a good tune. Almost anything else can be decided later after you make sure the rest of your car can handle the new found power. Your on the right track spending money on brakes and suspension. Converting to the 05-06 brake setup is an inexpensive way to upgrade an 04.
While the cam may not be a necessity and a lot of people will tell you to ”just turn up the boost” instead. Unfortunately a stock shortblock and pump gas you can’t really do that so the cam will be a good way to get more power when you are octane limited.
Exactly what I was thinking. And I said 600 as a max, not necessarily as a goal. Im not trying to race it, I just want the experience of turboing a car, driving a turbo car, and make it more fun to daily.
Now onto what you're saying about c6 brake swap, I asked on a different post a long time ago how this is done and what all is needed and the guy was like "you need shims" and that was it lol. And I can't find a forum about it anywhere, only c5 or 05-06 gto stuff. I have c5 pads on it now, but if I can put c6 corvette brakes on it (so long as they will fit a 17 inch rim, I just got a set of gm 10 wide 17s so I can have some extra grip, getting brand new tires put on them this week and then slapping them on) i can cheaply get a full setup (I work at Oreillys and can get any OEM parts for super cheap) only thing I'd probably want offline is slotted rotors.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking. And I said 600 as a max, not necessarily as a goal. Im not trying to race it, I just want the experience of turboing a car, driving a turbo car, and make it more fun to daily.
Now onto what you're saying about c6 brake swap, I asked on a different post a long time ago how this is done and what all is needed and the guy was like "you need shims" and that was it lol. And I can't find a forum about it anywhere, only c5 or 05-06 gto stuff. I have c5 pads on it now, but if I can put c6 corvette brakes on it (so long as they will fit a 17 inch rim, I just got a set of gm 10 wide 17s so I can have some extra grip, getting brand new tires put on them this week and then slapping them on) i can cheaply get a full setup (I work at Oreillys and can get any OEM parts for super cheap) only thing I'd probably want offline is slotted rotors.
Lol say no more.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm about to start phase one; replacing struts and springs, brakes, hubs, spark plugs/wires, fuel filter, pulling back seat and putting a cloth similar to the spare tire cover but black and covering the area neatly, and installing an aftermarket radio and steering wheel, just getting the car right. Also got some 10 wide wheels and just put brand new tires on them, also putting on 1.5 inch spacers.
Then phase 2 will probably be just the one piece drive shaft and doing the service on the rear end, and starting to mock up the exhaust so we can get the flanges where they need to be to mount the turbos, and just get it 100% ready to put everything on at once, and then phase 3 will be the base map then take it to the dyno.

·
baaaad 2 the bone
2,170 Posts
You could make 500whp with heads and a cam lol. Forced Induction would not be ideal on a 5k budget.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You could make 500whp with heads and a cam lol. Forced Induction would not be ideal on a 5k budget.
I'm not really doing this for performance, not trying to race it, not really even trying to push my block to its limit. Just going for the look, the sound, and the feel of a twin turbo. There aren't many twin turbo setups out there compared to every single one of them being cammed and heads.
As for the budget, thanks to all these other great sources of info on this site im actually going to be base mapped for under 3k, thanks to having friends with material and welders and friends dad with hp tuner and such, so the only thing I have left to buy is the cam kit, head gaskets and bolts, single piece drive shaft, the turbos and turbo accessories. There's a dyno shot about an hour from me thats $600 for a dyno tune and my friend said he does a wonderful job and he's had 2 of his cars tuned there. So about $3600 total including the entire bottom side and brakes and whatnot, and some interior niceties.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts