LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, we had the torque wrench, and it was set to 20lbs, but the bolt snapped off. It's the passenger side header, and it's the bolt in the center where there are two bolts.

What should I do? Should I complete the install and have a shop fix it? Or should I try to get a tool there to get it out? Should I pull the header off and see if some of the bolt is sticking out of the head?

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so your saying I should go buy a bolt removal tool and get it out right now?

·
V8 Whore
823 Posts
yeah,

the longer its in there the more issues you might have with getting it out later with the additional heat cycles on the block/heads/bolt. Also, if you continue and you do not get a good seat with the flange against the head, you run a huge risk.

I would say that the closest True Value/Home Depot/Lowes would have the right bit to get it out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would first remove the header as you said. If there is any part of the bolt extending out, you can remove it with a pliers. With no torque applied to the broken bolt, the pliers should be able to back it right out.

If no part of the bolt is extending out, you will need a small tool called an "easy out". This is nothing more that a "tap" (as in tap and die) with a reverse thread. It is available under different names in the hardware stores mentioned above as well as Sears and probably your local hardware store if it's large enough.You drill a small hoe in the broken bolt, insert the tap, and unsrcew conterclockwise.

The "easy out" approach works quite well. The main concern in your application is the drilling out of the center of the bolt to fit the "easy out" into. Be really carefull about drilling around aluminum heads if you don't have a clear view of what your doing. Do you have enough room to use a drill? If not, off come the heads.

Best of luck. What a pain!

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you do go the easy out route ( hey that rhymed ! ) first grind what's left down flat . If you don't , the drill bit is going to want to walk from highest to lowest . Can you take off the wheel and get in that way ? alot easier if you can look right at it . Good luck...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts