LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Curious what you guys think.

I was planning on keeping my car NA or maybe a Procharger and I have a set of AFR 245 cathedral port heads for that. Contemplating doing an LSA now. Would you just run adapters on the AFR heads or sell them and go LS3 (823) rec port heads with no adapters?

The data I've found shows my 245's flows a little more than 40cfm over LS3 heads on both sides at .600".
Will adapters be a restriction and counteract my heads? If I went rec port heads I don't plan on getting aftermarket heads or getting them ported, just factory heads-probably new. A buddy can get me a set of brand new ones for about $850

One big advantage for me of the LS3 heads would be no need for adapters. I think I'd like to keep the stock hood and do Hinson drop mounts to clear the hood if I went LSA

Thoughts?

·
LS9 FTW
285 Posts
If you are certain you will be going with a LSA setup, definitely do 823/821 heads with 3/8 lowered engine mounts. Even that is tight clearance with a stock 05/06 hood using the CTS-V lid.

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't totally decided. I like the idea of an LSA for the cost effectiveness of it over a Procharger.
It's much easier to piece together an LSA setup over Procharger and an LSA will get me to the power level I want. 500-600whp is enough for me.
I'd like to run an AI interchiller if I went LSA.

Even after selling my AFR's and buying LS3 heads that still gives me some decent money for other parts.

This kinda turned into LSA vs procharger lol

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
332 Posts
If LSA and procharger were the same price I'd go procharger. :) Hard to beat the savings though on the LSA.

Anyway, if I were you I'd do the LS3 heads, mainly for it to fit well under the hood.

·
Registered
856 Posts
If LSA and procharger were the same price I'd go procharger. :) Hard to beat the savings though on the LSA.

Anyway, if I were you I'd do the LS3 heads, mainly for it to fit well under the hood.
I have the same debate all the time (LSA vs Pro), but I dont have that kind of fun money, so that keeps me from jumping off the deep end.

One thing I've considered a plus about a procharger is that if my blower craps out, I can still pull it off and drive the car. That seems less likely for an FI that removes the intake, like a LSA or TVS.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
I have the same debate all the time (LSA vs Pro), but I dont have that kind of fun money, so that keeps me from jumping off the deep end.

One thing I've considered a plus about a procharger is that if my blower craps out, I can still pull it off and drive the car. That seems less likely for an FI that removes the intake, like a LSA or TVS.
If you can put the original belt route back on. Suppose somebody could just throw the stock intake back on though if they pulled the pd blower off also.

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

This is my main want for the LS3 heads. And aside from that they're a decent flowing head from the factory. Theoretically they can make over 600hp NA

·
Worthless reject member
45,506 Posts
There are quite a number of 243 CnC programs with larger intake valves that match or exceed factory LS3 head numbers.

I will stress "factory" as aftermarket or CnC ported rectangle port heads will flow even more.

For the money, though, it's tough to beat.

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definitely a rec port head has more potential. However some of those heads require a bore bigger than 4" and won't work on our LS2's.

Flow numbers a very useful in comparing, just have to make sure they're measured at the same bore as a bigger bore will let the head flow more

·
Registered
234 Posts
Unless you already have the LSA, going with that over a Procharger isn't anywhere near the cost savings that it used to be. Don't get me wrong, I love my LSA and it makes for one fun daily but if it wasn't much more to go with a Procharger, that's probably what I'd do if I had to do it over again. Also just as an FYI, even with 823 heads and the Hinson 3/8 mounts, I still had to trim the hood supports to fit my LSA setup without rubbing.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Unless you already have the LSA, going with that over a Procharger isn't anywhere near the cost savings that it used to be. Don't get me wrong, I love my LSA and it makes for one fun daily but if it wasn't much more to go with a Procharger, that's probably what I'd do if I had to do it over again. Also just as an FYI, even with 823 heads and the Hinson 3/8 mounts, I still had to trim the hood supports to fit my LSA setup without rubbing.
How so? ~4200 for the lsa and procharger is ~7k. Nevermind parts not included for either kit.

At least the procharger will fit under a stock hood so theres that also.

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’d 100% rather have a Procharger in terms of mad end power potential.

However max power isn’t the goal here. A fun 500-600whp car that still drives decent and retains all factory accessories including the AC is.
Ease of service is another big one for me. This car is pretty easy to work on and seems like an LSA won’t complicate that too much unlike a Procharger or turbo.

Also previously having a positive displacement blower the instant torque is probably what I like most. I haven’t owned a turbo car but I’ve driven a couple and I much prefer the instant power a blower has by far.

·
Worthless reject member
45,506 Posts
I'd only do a procharger if i was aiming to make 1000 horsepower.

The plumbing is not something i am a fan of. It's basically a belt driven "turbo" and the intake routing and intercooler reflect that. The procharger kit places the intake filter in the most asinine location as well, and uses a lousy means of mounting the intercooler.

Roots type are generally a lot more compact. I'd deal with getting an aftermarket cowl hood and a fancy strut tower bar with the LSA and send.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Check with Bob at Brute Speed for Procharger pricing, he'll do much better than advertised.
Maintenance with the Procharger isn't any more complicated than without. I considered the LSA, but I refuse to cut up my hood.

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m gonna have to disagree with the maintenance aspect. Procharger and brackets gotta come off to do a p/s pump, probably alternator and might even be in the way of trying to get the water pump out-not sure on that one.

It also adds a mess of pipes in the way.
LSA takes no additional space around the engine bay and water hoses are much smaller and easier to route/work with. The option of an interchiller is cool too for hot days and cruising and not worrying about heat soak and high intake temps. (Previous experience on a blower car with no IC at all lol)

Don’t get me wrong a Procharger, especially an F series is far superior and will make more power but unless you’re actually racing and tracking the car I don’t think it’s warranted.

Don’t get me wrong though, if Bob could make a good enough on a D1X kit I’d really consider it. W2A IC to use an interchiller would be expensive for that.

As far as a hood. I wouldn’t mind a Mavman Carbon cowl hood. Could probably run a ZL1 lid with that. I like the Hendrix strut tower bar too. I think it looks nice.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Once you start looking at procharger prices though you can get the tvs2650. Capable of those numbers also.

I like the simplicity of the PD blower too. Just having to get a decent cowl is hard.

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with that too. The price of an F1 Procharger kit could get you a 2650 which will fill the order of 1000hp if that’s what you’re looking for.

Wonder if Mavman will ever have the carbon cowl hoods again? Says they’re out of stock

1 - 20 of 73 Posts