LS1GTO Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Well after a week of reading and spinning in circles I think I'm going to keep it pump gas. I did find Aeroflow rails are decently priced for doing a return setup at only about 50 bucks more than stock rails so I may get those incase I ever decide I want to go further. But for now current plan is just use the stock feed on a dead head setup for my modest goal not wanting much more power than what the stock LSA fuel system supports. I've found multiple cars with a DW300C on stock rails making over 600 at the tire with pump gas which I think will be plenty enough for me.

The Olson pulley setup comes with a 2.45" pulley and from what I've read you can't go much smaller without machining the snout. So other than a bigger balancer it's going to be a "set it and forget" as far as pulley size goes in my case.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well after a week of reading and spinning in circles I think I'm going to keep it pump gas. I did find Aeroflow rails are decently priced for doing a return setup at only about 50 bucks more than stock rails so I may get those incase I ever decide I want to go further. But for now current plan is just use the stock feed on a dead head setup for my modest goal not wanting much more power than what the stock LSA fuel system supports. I've found multiple cars with a DW300C on stock rails making over 600 at the tire with pump gas which I think will be plenty enough for me.

The Olson pulley setup comes with a 2.45" pulley and from what I've read you can't go much smaller without machining the snout. So other than a bigger balancer it's going to be a "set it and forget" as far as pulley size goes in my case.
Should work I have the dw300c in my stock bucket as well. Very simple drop in install. I ran that pump with stock rails until about 10 psi with a procharger on pump gas with the sbe ls1. Didn't really like it to be honest so I added an external 4303 with a return system and boost referenced regulator then ran E85.

What injectors are you going to use? Your setup should work fine for what you are doing and you have the option to go to a return setup later. What made you decide not to use E85 when it is readily available to you?

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Mainly because I'm not out to make the absolute most power. If I can make 600 like the other cars I've read about I'd be happy and it'll keep decent fuel mileage. Fuel mileage isn't the main goal obviously but it'd be nice to still have it be decent and not have to worry about finding a station if I was to take the car out of town-which I did do a few times last year.

As for as injectors. Probably 80# Bosch units. MAYBE 95#. Fuel injector calculator says 95's should be good for about 1100 crank on E85 if I ever was to go that far, which an LSA can't even reach.

Other suggestions on injectors?

You don't use the 300 do you? It's just there from when you did previously correct?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Mainly because I'm not out to make the absolute most power. If I can make 600 like the other cars I've read about I'd be happy and it'll keep decent fuel mileage. Fuel mileage isn't the main goal obviously but it'd be nice to still have it be decent and not have to worry about finding a station if I was to take the car out of town-which I did do a few times last year.

As for as injectors. Probably 80# Bosch units. MAYBE 95#. Fuel injector calculator says 95's should be good for about 1100 crank on E85 if I ever was to go that far, which an LSA can't even reach.

Other suggestions on injectors?

You don't use the 300 do you? It's just there from when you did previously correct?
Obviously the main reason people use E85 on boosted setups is to make more power. Don't ignore the safety margin it gives and lower temps the alcohol gives. Flex fuel would be a good option for you. I maxed out 95 lb injectors on 50% ethanol, but never had the car dynoed to see what hp level I was at. I have larger injectors now. The Dw300c wasn't enough pump for me so that is what I added the external 4303. People usually can get 1000 rwhp or slightly more on a single 4303 on E85.

This brings up a couple other things. A return system with boost referenced regulator can take you further with the same pump/injectors than a dead head system with the regulator in the rear. Another thing is running a return system with the rails in parallel will take you further than a return system with the rails ran in series. All of these things matter. Also pumps can flow more volume at a lower pressure while injectors flow more volume at a higher pressure. So if you are out of injector you can run a higher base pressure with an adjustable regulator on a return system and get more out of your injectors as long as you have enough fuel pump. On the other extreme if your fuel pump is near it's limit you can lower base pressure as long as your injectors are over sized and get more out of the fuel system that way.

What you want to do with a dead head and dw300c in the stock bucket will work, but it's not ideal it will heat your fuel more.

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I do like the idea of E85 using a flex fuel sensor so that I can mix fuel if need be. However what I don't like is it seems like there's not really any good options for anything bigger than a 300 without extensive mods to the bucket or eliminating the bucket all together which I don't want to do at all. That's probably my biggest gripe is I'm not one that's familiar with modifying something like that. I was a diesel mechanic for awhile-rebuilt engines, Eaton 18 speed manual transmissions and other stuff so I'm plenty mechanically inclined. I just have no idea how to go about something like that with the venturi, bucket, stock regulator and all that stuff. I just don't know how it works and what's right and what's wrong and I'm not willing to throw money in the wind figuring it out lol.

If there was a solid drop in option(even if it took some modifying-maybe a twin 300 or whatever the case may be inside the bucket) that would support say 800+hp on E85 I'd probably be all for it, assuming it's not thousands of dollars lol

If I did a return setup it'd be in parallel for sure. -8 or -6 to a Y to both rails and of course another Y out to the regulator and back to the tank. I did a little reading on flex fuel stuff and if I did that I'd put the alcohol content sensor on the return line like everyone else does I think

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I should also add part of me being indecisive is I get stuck between “being reasonable and budget minded and get the car done in a decent time frame” and “oh well it’s only money and spend gobs of it and whenever it gets finished is when it gets finished”

·
Registered
507 Posts
I should also add part of me being indecisive is I get stuck between “being reasonable and budget minded and get the car done in a decent time frame” and “oh well it’s only money and spend gobs of it and whenever it gets finished is when it gets finished”
Another vote for procharger then...LOL...a procharger can be installed in a weekend and the stock hood will fit without modification or lowering motor, etc. Fuel system isn't a place to cheap out on a boosted car. There are a few options like lonnies or proxes that make twin or triple pump kits for our cars, but if you buy a kit it costs more than doing it yourself and you are at their mercy because sometimes their delivery times are measured in months. It's really not that difficult to figure out, but the drop in dw300c is the easiest way that should support over 500 rwhp on pump gas. I like deatschwerks injectors they are kind of a middle of the road budget wise. For your power goals 80 lb/hr injectors should be good on pump gas. You will probably run out of pump with the dw300c before you are out of injector with the 80's.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Since the power goals are low, you wont need the race innercooler and the big red blowoff. My kit was 6700 with cut gears for a d1sc. Fuel system doesnt take much, some rails, little bit of feed line and regulator. I dropped two pumps in the stock bucket. Could just put on hellcat pump in there and grab some deka 60's. More than enough for that power level on E.

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I think that'd be a vote for turbo in that case lol. Turbo is by far the most amount of work though. I think the LSA could pretty easily be done in a weekend if you have all the parts.

**** any pictures of your bucket with two pumps in it? I'd prefer to keep it a big single pump. My fear is one pump dies on a dual pumper and you don't know until it's possibly too late and it leans out. At least on a single pump if it dies the car won't run and won't hurt anything. Has anybody done a hellcat pump?

I'd prefer to overshoot on the pump and injectors so at least if I decide to go E85 the option is there.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
I think that'd be a vote for turbo in that case lol. Turbo is by far the most amount of work though. I think the LSA could pretty easily be done in a weekend if you have all the parts.

**** any pictures of your bucket with two pumps in it? I'd prefer to keep it a big single pump. My fear is one pump dies on a dual pumper and you don't know until it's possibly too late and it leans out. At least on a single pump if it dies the car won't run and won't hurt anything. Has anybody done a hellcat pump?

I'd prefer to overshoot on the pump and injectors so at least if I decide to go E85 the option is there.
That most definitely isnt true. Ive had pumls that would run fine at idle and moderate throttle through the rpm range. WOT itd cut out when you would need it.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts

That most definitely isnt true. Ive had pumls that would run fine at idle and moderate throttle through the rpm range. WOT itd cut out when you would need it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Had a pair of aeromotive 340's. Swapped one for a ti525. Wanted more of a headroom on a single pump before needed a second one. Turning the hobb switch on later in the boost.
I am running a 10an feed so using the stock return was a bad option for me. Too much volume. Upgraded to a 8an return. I just Y the pumps externally.

Revised top. Drilled and taped a 1/8npt hole to add a barb and hose to go to the evap sensor as I didnt bother to turn it off yet, assuming I can.
Then just got some E rated pump harnesses and ran them though a hole and jb sealed it. Then just cut to length and a quick connect to run the relays.
Next upgrade is to modify the bucket so its rest off the bottom of the tank and have room for holley hydra mats to stick out. As I do have low level feeding issues especially when turning.

·
Registered
2006 Auto QSM
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
That’s not a bad looking setup. Guess I’m most curious how much of a pain it is hacking the bucket. Drilling holes for bulkhead fittings is easy. No sweat there

61 - 73 of 73 Posts