LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few years ago, when i was buying my GTP. the dealer told me they could send it away to ASC (american sunroof company) to have a sunroof/moonroof installed for i think $1200. i was lary of installing an aftermarket SR but the dealer assured me that they do quality work. so i did it and haven't had any problems ever since.

i really like haing the sunroof and will miss having one on the GTO. i was just wondering what everyones thoughts are on having one installed on the GTO? could it weaken the structural integrity of the car?

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Doubtful. I don't think any "load bearing" beams run through the roof. There was some discussion earlier, however, about the shape of the inside roof covering and how it seemed to accomodate T-tops. Take a close look up where the "dope light" is and you'll see.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FLORIT said:
Doubtful. I don't think any "load bearing" beams run through the roof. There was some discussion earlier, however, about the shape of the inside roof covering and how it seemed to accomodate T-tops. Take a close look up where the "dope light" is and you'll see.

well T tops would be SWEET. however i would definetly precede those w/ sub frames connectors.

·
Registered
157 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
a few years ago, when i was buying my GTP. the dealer told me they could send it away to ASC (american sunroof company) to have a sunroof/moonroof installed for i think $1200. i was lary of installing an aftermarket SR but the dealer assured me that they do quality work. so i did it and haven't had any problems ever since.

i really like haing the sunroof and will miss having one on the GTO. i was just wondering what everyones thoughts are on having one installed on the GTO? could it weaken the structural integrity of the car?

I would love somebody to chase down getting this for the goats.....

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modelaccessories?aid=20156&&modelid=12001&bitmask=1

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GTOME said:
No matter who does it, I think after market sunroofs look cheap, and I was an installer that went to dealers to install this crap. Dealer will over Charge way too much. I personally wouldn't get one unless it was a factoy opyion.

i dont know what kind you installed, but mine looks like factory quality. no one would notice unless i told them.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I was about to say we install roofs at our dealer. We use Automotive Concepts. Most of their roofs are hard to tell if aftermarket. But they are always a little smaller then factory. The only thing with a SR in GTO is it is almost useless. When they called for my survey I mentioned a SR to guy. Well he was actually from Holden. You see that pic up top. That is as far as it opens. It only opens 2/3 of the way. it is very small. Which means an aftermarket would be even smaller, if it was one that slides into the roof.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
My bosses nephew just got a GTO and he said he was having a S/R installed
I am waiting to see it so I can take pictures to post for everyone.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holeshot said:
My bosses nephew just got a GTO and he said he was having a S/R installed
I am waiting to see it so I can take pictures to post for everyone.
sweet. dont forget to ask how much and where he got it done.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Take a look at the sun roof on a mitsubish eclips, it slides up and out, I think something like this would work. Someone told me that the monte carlo has the same type but I havent seen one myself.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well on the GP's the sunroof was an $800 option, it popped out of the roof.
i payed 1200 for the one that went INTO the roof. but i would take either as longs as its good quality

·
Registered
464 Posts
What material did they use on your headliner? And do you have any clearer pics of the headliner? And how much headroom did you lose?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
The moonroof on the Monaro is a little different animal. It took many years for Holden to engineer one, and it doesn't open as wide as you might think, due to the curvature of the roof. I highly suspect any aftermarket attempt at a retractable moonroof would end in disaster.

·
Resident Sheriff
4,691 Posts
TrueBLueGTO please contact DevilYellow on becoming a sponser.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts