LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to throw my Vararam in the trash but I don't know with what I would replace it .
That shop working on my car currently swears by the stock intake with a K&N....:rolleyes: That, or I should go to home depot and get some PVC pipe because fancy intakes are a waste of money. All of this was a part of his lecture on why I should let him tune the car. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So what are the options for GTO intakes in 2020?
  • Bohnman sells the XAir OTR intake. Seems like a solid option
  • Vararam exists (overpriced junk)
  • VCM out of AUS care of JHP $$$
What am I missing that's still made and doesn't suck? Anything worth pursuing that isn't OTR?

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I went with the xair but the volant is one I've heard positive things about that isn't otr

·
Worthless reject member
40,407 Posts
I'd like to throw my Vararam in the trash but I don't know with what I would replace it .
That shop working on my car currently swears by the stock intake with a K&N....:rolleyes: That, or I should go to home depot and get some PVC pipe because fancy intakes are a waste of money. All of this was a part of his lecture on why I should let him tune the car. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What am I missing that's still made and doesn't suck? Anything worth pursuing that isn't OTR?
Snail.

·
Yes my name is Holden
507 Posts
Greetings Glynn & all; With the exchange rate at .67 a DuSpeed becomes almost within reach?? I just purchased a X-Air form Bohman Customs. Not inexpensive but Very efficient. My intention is to install after I do some other mods this coming November? And I'm a bit concerned about heavy rain. I will be putting my Volant up for sale. The Volant has proven that it stays dry in the Heaviest rain (first hand experience). And they look nice (subjective of course). If you have any interest in mine let me know as I might be persuaded to sell it & mount the X-Air sooner, Ole' Bob

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
XAIR is the best bet since it's readily available. Last I heard the Duspeed was hard to attain now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That engine and engine bay are beautiful. I’m also regretting the Vararam I got when I bought the car, I’ll probably get the Xair when I finally replace it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think your mechanic is giving you good advice here. There is nothing wrong with stock intake air box with K&N OEM replacement filter. The only thing that should be addressed there is IAT sensor via Caspers relocation harness and Omega fast acting thermistor.

That being said, something like XAir OTR would be improvement over stock air box. But it requires lowering the radiator by 1/4" and cutting or removing radiator cover.

I don't see rain being issue with OTR intake. Few drops of water shouldn't hurt anything IMO. It's not like it will be submerged in water.

·
Yes my name is Holden
507 Posts
Nice install Mr. Yellow. Thank you very much as I now will be able to do a similar Clean install, Ole' Bob.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts

Although I don’t have proof, the xair appears to be a rebranded VCM, marked up a little because it’s sold in the US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
57 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
You
Nice install. I wish someone made an OEM style replacement shroud that was symmetrical on both sides, for those of us that ditch the stock intake, in favor of an OTR model. I hate the empty space where the stock intake tube was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can always leave the stock air box in there and use it to store tools or lunch ???.
I do agree, they should have nice shroud to go with it for 05-06 model. It is incomplete product without it.

·
Is that FWD?
1,093 Posts
I have the SvedeSpeed OTRCAI and cut my Banshee hood for true ram air.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts