LS1GTO.com Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
5,686 Posts

·
Seriously?
1,552 Posts
What do you guys think of the HSV intake tube? I have the LPE on my 04 and I don't care for the looks of the tube so this would be an aesthetic purchase and it looks to be available from JHP...

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,508 Posts
Late to the party.

I have a Vararam and have dragged many an ass of higher hp cars on the street. 9 years of driving in the florida rain with unplugged hood vents and absolutely no problems. Bone stock with just the vararam 12.81 @ 110.6. Stock with vararam and Pypes H box / resonated tips [email protected] Those times are stock tune.

The true otrcia like the X-air are obviously better. But anyone saying the vararam is just plain junk grab a lane and let's see whats up :cool:

EDIT:
this came off doushy. I meant to say I like the vararam for what it is, which isn't as bad as what a lot of people think.

EDIT 2:
..............sorry not sorry :cool:

·
Worthless reject member
40,447 Posts
i would like to see a svede vs xair comparison on an engine that needs significant airflow. like back to back on a h/ci/e ls2, and then a back to back on a boosted motor.

i'm sure the difference in filter size will become pretty apparent then.

·
Worthless reject member
40,447 Posts
Late to the party.

I have a Vararam and have dragged many an ass of higher hp cars on the street. 9 years of driving in the florida rain with unplugged hood vents and absolutely no problems. Bone stock with just the vararam 12.81 @ 110.6. Stock with vararam and Pypes H box / resonated tips [email protected] Those times are stock tune.

The true otrcia like the X-air are obviously better. But anyone saying the vararam is just plain junk grab a lane and let's see whats up :cool:

EDIT:
this came off doushy. I meant to say I like the vararam for what it is, which isn't as bad as what a lot of people think.

EDIT 2:
..............sorry not sorry :cool:
after some info came out about how the airflow past the hoodscoops REALLY flows, i can see that the vararam actually isn't a bad setup.

wish it was a bit better designed in terms of sealing, though.

·
GR-RRR!
5,686 Posts
I had a Vararam before I got my DuSpeed. Other than it being generally ugly, I think it worked very well. I'd go back to it in a heartbeat if my DuSpeed was destroyed for some reason.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Besides how the Vararam can provide plenty of sick kills down in Mexico, I found that switching to the X-Air improved low RPM driveability. The engine is able to cruise lower in 6th gear without bogging down like it did with the Vararam. That my idle fuel trims zero'ed out without having to adjust the tune.
Under moderate load, I haven't noticed a difference and the fuel trims haven't changed significantly after a reset.

Getting the X-Air to fit under the hood with a Cold Case radiator was a pain in the ass, so there's another win for Vararaming.

·
Is that FWD?
1,093 Posts
i would like to see a svede vs xair comparison on an engine that needs significant airflow. like back to back on a h/ci/e ls2, and then a back to back on a boosted motor.

i'm sure the difference in filter size will become pretty apparent then.
I would like to see that, but my svede with H/C/I and all my other mods and true ram air with my cut banshee works really good.

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,508 Posts
The worst thing about a vararam to me to is how it looks. Fuggggggin ugly.

Would definitey be interesting to see a back to back comparo with an x-air style intake.

My butt dyno felt improvments over the stock box. Picked up about 2-2.5mph in 1/4 untuned. And it was $300 at the time and not $500. Now If someone one headed me an x-air or duspeed id switch it out in a heart beat.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
The worst thing about a vararam to me to is how it looks. Fuggggggin ugly.

Would definitey be interesting to see a back to back comparo with an x-air style intake.

My butt dyno felt improvments over the stock box. Picked up about 2-2.5mph in 1/4 untuned. And it was $300 at the time and not $500. Now If someone one headed me an x-air or duspeed id switch it out in a heart beat.
To me, the worse part was the bespoke filter. The plastic started to crack on the back with the complex curves and the filter started to have holes in the media.
I patched both with RTV FPFQ style as a replacement filter is $73. $300 for a $73 filter and $227 poor fitting piece of molded plastic that screws with MAF readings in the low frequencies? Trash.

That said, if I had to do this again I'd go VCM.
The plastic quality of the X-Air feels like it was cheaply cast, where as VCM does injection molded ABS. The fit and finish of the VCM on my SS was a 9 out of 10 and the GTO unit is cheaper than X-Air.
The X-Air came with a bung for an breakout IAT sensor that I didn't order so I had to plug that myself. My radiator donuts were already cut in half for the Vararam and it took tons of massaging to get the X-Air to fit under the hood (still not perfect and not draining the radiator for that).

On the positive side of the X-Air, the design of the intake is solid and it has plenty of a neck to work with the silicon couplers. The MAF-less coupler you receive has plenty of material to cut what you need to make the MAF fit. I did have to wrap the MAF inlet with F4 tape to increase the outer diameter of it and reusing the red Vararam silcon MAF piece made things easier to install.

All of that, and the serviceability of the X-Air is much better than the fragile Vararam plastic. It's actually enabled me to work on making some ducting for my hood vents thanks to the extra room around the radiator.

impromptu X-Air review done

·
Registered
739 Posts
To me, the worse part was the bespoke filter. The plastic started to crack on the back with the complex curves and the filter started to have holes in the media.
I patched both with RTV FPFQ style as a replacement filter is $73. $300 for a $73 filter and $227 poor fitting piece of molded plastic that screws with MAF readings in the low frequencies? Trash.

That said, if I had to do this again I'd go VCM.
The plastic quality of the X-Air feels like it was cheaply cast, where as VCM does injection molded ABS. The fit and finish of the VCM on my SS was a 9 out of 10 and the GTO unit is cheaper than X-Air.
The X-Air came with a bung for an breakout IAT sensor that I didn't order so I had to plug that myself. My radiator donuts were already cut in half for the Vararam and it took tons of massaging to get the X-Air to fit under the hood (still not perfect and not draining the radiator for that).

On the positive side of the X-Air, the design of the intake is solid and it has plenty of a neck to work with the silicon couplers. The MAF-less coupler you receive has plenty of material to cut what you need to make the MAF fit. I did have to wrap the MAF inlet with F4 tape to increase the outer diameter of it and reusing the red Vararam silcon MAF piece made things easier to install.
View attachment 502992 View attachment 502993
All of that, and the serviceability of the X-Air is much better than the fragile Vararam plastic. It's actually enabled me to work on making some ducting for my hood vents thanks to the extra room around the radiator.

impromptu X-Air review done
I appreciate all the detail you put into it, and you were waffling on the same points that I was over the last year.
  • I wanted a DuSpeed, but one of the AU retailers via ebay would have shipped to me, but that shipping itself was $300 (!!) and I just couldn't stomach that.
  • I really liked the VCM models, particularly like the metal formed ones, but could never convince myself to take the risk (that I wouldn't be able to make it fit on an 06)
  • Finally ordered an X-air this past Christmas as a gift to myself. Despite still grumbling about a $300 piece of plastic air filter, I found that it fit pretty well. I actually didn't cut my radiator bumpers and it still fit OK. I can't bring myself to cut up my top radiator cover, so it's hanging on the wall and I'm running without one.
The only thing that irked me were the super lightweight grommets that came with the X-air for the IAT and breather holes. They wouldn't hold my IAT sensor right and were prone to slipping out. I ended up triple measuring and ordered these Pico's from Amazon: Amazon.com: Pico 6125D Vinyl Wire Grommets ID 1/2" x OD 13/16" 4 per Package: Home Improvement They fit very snugly and was able to use them both for the hard plastic breather line and the IAT.

I did notice my car performs better - its not a cosmetically pretty as I would like, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Made this back in 2004 when the car was new.

All PVC pipe. Hand ported to fix the mating areas and added a venturi at the entrance, before the "step up" rubber coupler after the MAF. At the time, made more power across the board over every aftermarket kit available back then. Still have it buried somewhere in the shop. :cool:

/carry on

·
Registered
5 Posts
......... the xair appears to be a rebranded VCM........
Definitely NOT. XAIR come out of New Zealand. VCM are in Melbourne, Australia.
Both are good (I have the VCM Plastic OTR fitted WITH Hood scoops- I tilted the radiator back) Dusspeed May look good but don’t seal properly between the air filter and housing.
OTR is the way to go to keeping air intake temperatures low. The standard airbox location sends temperatures skyrocketing off the scale ( I actually ran tests with a digital thermometer) no matter what (aftermarket) airbox you place there!

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #77

·
GR-RRR!
5,686 Posts
Dusspeed May look good but don’t seal properly between the air filter and housing.
You just have to apply a little bit of air filter grease around the perimeter and it seals just fine. Not entirely uncommon with the sometimes ridged K&N filters (though the K&N filter in the DuSpeed is anything but rigid itself).

I'm honestly still considering going back to a Vararam. Just wish I hadn't sold off my already modified radiator shroud.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Made this back in 2004 when the car was new.

All PVC pipe. Hand ported to fix the mating areas and added a venturi at the entrance, before the "step up" rubber coupler after the MAF. At the time, made more power across the board over every aftermarket kit available back then. Still have it buried somewhere in the shop. :cool:

/carry on
Interesting setup. How was the engine noise?

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Interesting setup. How was the engine noise?
Didn't notice much difference when it was stock... :cool:

Afterwards...

...with a set of custom made 1-7/8" long tubes, a three inch X pipe and those Flowmaster "Outlaw" series mufflers dumping at the rear axle, the sound of the car when running would definitely destroy the eardrums. The camshaft we installed back then was the early version of the current SS-HT grind that we still sell today! As seen, went mid-elevens back then. She's mostly back to stock now... (for sale too) ;)

61 - 80 of 80 Posts