LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6352

This thread raises an alarming concern.......we need to try and get to the bottom of this. I have read other threads where there has been some question about the bags not activating.

2 confirmed head on hits and no deployment

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no comments?

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Are there ANY pics of a GTO with it's airbags deployed?

Are there any pics of a Holden with it's airbags deployed for that matter?

·
Registered
179 Posts
My mother was in a Z3 when a guy turned left in front of her and she hit him right in the passenger door doing about 40. Her airbags didn't deploy, and BMW said they weren't designed to go off in collisions of that speed. Airbags can be dangerous, so most modern ones aren't designed to deploy except in the case of a major accident. I think the question is, what speed are these people going during their accidents? The airbags might not be deploying because they aren't supposed to.

·
2,137 Posts
Good point SwordofKrynn

I think we are most worried because we've not seen/heard of them going off in any of the various accidents we've had.

·
2,137 Posts

·
2,137 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but... Front airbags are meant to deploy when the front bumper is depressed, that one was ripped away. It is different.

·
Expelled
8,316 Posts
I tought its sensors in the bumber?? So if the bumper was "hit" "ripped" it should blow.

{VENT ON}
I dont know personally I dont want air bags in my car i've never liked them I was happy without them in my Blazer. We should be able to turn them off. Now 2 times it seems that these airbags dont work when you need it. I would rather accept the fact of being injured because having no airbag instead of having airbags that only go off at a certain MPH. Its just very hard to see someone get hurt bad because it could of been my girl, and i know most of the owners here have wife and kids. My biggest problem was no seatbelt. I wont drive/ride in a car without my seatbelt, its there for a reason please use it.
{VENT OFF}

My point in all of this is why arent these bags going off we have them they better work or it can become a life or death issue quick.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
I am still here typing this message because of an airbag and seat belts. Twelve years ago, @##@ truck driver on the Florida Turnpike fell asleep, I was passing him and he moved into my lane. Swerved to avoid him (since I was lead car in a pack of traffic) but there's no left shoulder in Florida, and there's a big traction difference between 70 on pavement and on grass. Ended up coming back onto the road, perpendicular to it, and T-boning the semi (airbags deployed), at which point in time he drove over my car forcing it to roll over six times.

I walked away from the accident. Never again do I ride or drive without seatbelts and an airbag (I am a little concerned about these reports of front-end accidents and no airbag deployment. Maybe the thread starter from the original totaled thread needs to call the NHTSA and file a complaint - for the benefit of all of us who are still driving our GTOs - or, in my case, waiting for mine to be fixed :-(.

At least it was a rental,

--Robert
(neck is screwed up from the accident still)

·
Registered
179 Posts
If airbags won't do any good in a specific, then they shouldn't deploy, as they can cause harm where there wouldn't be any otherwise. In a rollover, they wouldn't do any good, as the force of the crash isn't forcing the driver towards the steering wheel. Hence, they shouldn't go off, as they wouldn't help in the crash. In the BMW's, it takes a hit of like 45 mph or something head on before the airbags deploy.

On another note, airbags only work with seatbelts. If you aren't wearing a seatbelt, an airbag WILL hurt you more than you would have been otherwise. Airbags, in a head on crash, can significantly reduce the severity of your injuries. But they are powerful items, and they don't work miracles. Just something to think about.

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
personally looking at this pic I think the bags should have deployed

and the other accident the guys girlfriend did not have a seatbelt on, and she is real messed up BUT an airbag may have helped her.

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
--Insert witty comment here--
570 Posts
There are multiple sensors that must be triggered in order for the airbags to deploy. Speed, angle of impact, decelleration rate all factor in to the equation if the bags deploy or not. You can be in a bad accident, but if the car is slightly off center, or below a certian speed, they will not deploy. Trust me, they are one of the most tested and thought out systems on a modern automobile, if they don't deploy, there is a good reason.
Best wishes to the gentleman who totalled his car, BTW.

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1badgto said:
no airbags went off i'd asume if the women got that hurt well i got a similar story i was on a local highway i was coming around a corner and got tagged by a rx8 he spun me out i hit a cement medium"in the center of the highway" i hit head on no air bag deployment i hit so hard the mirror shot off the winshield and broke my nose but NOO AIRBAGS if anybody wants to see the pictures here is a link
http://www.aedcentral.com/photopost/index.pl?cat=500&user=604&thumb=1

i did get another gto for the simple fact of i love the gto's and i'm not really gonna drive it just make it into a show car and thats about it

anybody have any questions feel free to email me

[email protected]
this is the post regarding the above pic. Head on and hard enough for the mirror to pop off and break his nose? This is not enough for an airbag?

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
I bet I could toss a car mirror at you and break your nose with little to no force.

On that note, as said above, airbags are made to go off when necessary. What happened back in the days before airbags? How about back in the day before seatbelts?

·
2,137 Posts
CSiJason said:
What happened back in the days before airbags? How about back in the day before seatbelts?
A lot more Darwin Awards... unfortunately the recipients took out some non-deserving folks. :bomb:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts