LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Had this issue for a long time now, dont want to waist my time/money for a dealer to tell me stuff i already know. The hard code has been cleared in the past but comes right back after. Bought a used unit to replace the stock one and changed nothing. The car has never been in an accident. Im no electrician so im hesitant to do much. Ive read in other forums that they only work if they read 5ohms, no more or less? I've also read the clockspring isnt an issue if the steering wheel controls work? Pretty sure its not the airbag module under the center console but who knows?! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Worthless reject member
Another thing to check ther service manual on to tonight, lol.

I would do a continuity test across the wires from the connector to the seat pretensioner to the airbag module connector. Look for signs of fretting at the terminals or fraying by the connector, or jiggle the harness to see if the resistance changes across the circuit.

Fretting appears as darkened metal at the terminals, as it is basically built up oxide corrosion. It will produce increased resistance in the circuit. If it is, i would try replacing the connector with a new one. You could try combatting the corrosion by reseating the connector repeatedly and adding a dab of dielectric grease to prevent any oxidation, but for something like this it would probably be better to replace if it is the issue.

Worthless reject member
I also don't know if there is a seal around that connector, but something else to check. Seals don't only lock out moisture, they prevent movement which leads to fretting oxidation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts