LS1GTO Forums banner

Airvents In GTO vs GTP

4K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  flyinlow 
#1 ·
i saw a pic of the new 04 grand prix gtp. i thought it looked VERY NICE on the outside. i almost think that what the new GTO should look like with the dual exausts and all. but on the inside, one thing that i dont like is the pontiac airconditioner vents. they are rounded and im pretty sure all of their cars have the rounded vents. the new GTO has square looking vents which i find way better looking. i like the steering wheel on the GTP A LOT maybe a little more than the GTO's. what do you all think?

#2 ·
Yes, Pontiac for years has used the round "ball/socket" style vents, the new GTP included. The Trans Am, Grand Am, etc all have had them.

Remember, the interior on the GTO isn't a Pontiac styled unit. It's a Holden styled interior.

#3 ·
thats exactly why i like it more. the styling and everything about it seems more pleasing to the eye than say a 04 gtp. i hope they dont go back to rounded airvents when they decide to build it from scratch... holden makes one damn good looking car.

#4 ·
I think the lines of the interior flow better too with squared or rectangular vents. I think it was all part of Pontiac's "sporty" theme.

But there is one thing I'm jealous of the Trans Am guys with their round center vents. The perfect place to put gauges. :(

#6 ·
The flush ones are nice.

Dare I say kudos to Nissan for doing this, albeit on a rectangular vent. The previous generation Maxima had those style that when closed, closed flush.

#7 ·
5.7ls1 said:
thats exactly why i like it more. the styling and everything about it seems more pleasing to the eye than say a 04 gtp. i hope they dont go back to rounded airvents when they decide to build it from scratch... holden makes one damn good looking car.
The 97-03 GPs have the best looking vents if you ask me. Nice sleek looking oval type vents. I dont have a pic but maybe someone can bring one up. Also the 97-03 GPs are the better looking car of all that are mentioned IMO, except the TA. :p

#8 ·
"Minus the ram air hood they are identical practically." You are kidding right?
The only similarity is the front grills. Differences: Headlights, body lines, side view mirrors, taillights, front and rear bumpers, spolier.

#9 ·
TprGTO said:
"Minus the ram air hood they are identical practically." You are kidding right?
The only similarity is the front grills. Differences: Headlights, body lines, side view mirrors, taillights, front and rear bumpers, spolier.
There is a very solid family resemblence. Just like the old GTO's looked exactly like the tempest's, lemans' and grand prix's of the time.

Pontiac has ALWAYS kept a very strong family resemblence using the nose of the car. The firebird (being based off of a chevy platform since day 1) has been the notable exception. I see nothing wrong with the fact that my car has something in common with a grand am. I mean, my brother and I look similiar. That doesn't mean we're identical or even mistakeable for each other unless your a complete idiot or blind. Besides, there is PLENTY about my car that isn't similar to a grand am, so I'm more then happy.

#10 ·
I agree that there is a good bit of family resemblance. I find my heart skips a beat when I see an oncoming Grand Prix. I never used to notice them before, and now I think "could it actually be another Goat?"

But many don't know what to think of the new Goat. Last night at the track, the tower, once again, had me listed half the time as a Mustang, the other half simply as "black". :rolleyes:

Padre

#13 ·
Sorry Blitzu but the rear of the GTO looks like a Civic if you ask me. If not that, than it is very "tame" looking from the rear, whereas the GTP's rear looks stronger and shows more of a muscle look thanks to the duel exhaust and lower fasia. The GTP's stock spoiler may not be that great but compared to the GTO's its heavenly. I actually got rid of the stock spoiler from my GTP and added on an SLP gen 1 spoiler which in my opinion looks way more muscular.

#17 ·
monaroCountry said:
BTW put on the monaro front end and the whole car looks totally different
Yes then it would look less like a GTP :gr_jest:

#19 ·
Supercharged3800 said:
Ok maybe not Civic, i was just being sarcastic. But it def resembles something of a small car like the newer Sunfire perhaps. WHATEVER it looks like, it looks wimpy and lame. This being just my opinion.
Well, I love the way the rear looks. I think the spoiler is awesome with its
low build to the trunk. The car looks to me like it is squatted down just waiting to unleash the V8 beast on say a V6 GP. LOLOLOL Oh yes,
opinions are everywhere.

#20 ·
goatee said:
If you are looking at round climate outlets, you have to go to the source of interior styling beauty... too bad the entire cast of Gremlins come to visit right around the 50k miles mark..... hmmm, coincidence??

Where's my internet "nanny," now that I need it!

I just love that dead pedal. I presume it's removable so we can grill tofu on the barbie whenever we get the urge.

Hey, DY:

You will remove this after eveyone has had a chance what can happen if we're not vigilant won't ya?

:barf: :barf: :barf:

#21 ·
I dont doubt the power of the Goat, in fact i worship its potential. BUT I personally think that the GTP looks better all around. Like you said its my opinion and it means something to me and thats all that matters. Just for shits and giggles, here are a few pics of my car car taken about 2 or 3 weeks ago, enjoy if you will...

http://community.webshots.com/album/164579841UNjtBT

#23 ·
I had the hood on(unpainted) for almost 6 months after trying to save enough $$$ to paint it. It was the SD hood and it was made of fiberglass so very expensive to paint. I was quoted about $800 or more from more than a few people. I was making very little at the time. So i decided to sell it and buy a few engine mods. I will def get that hood again in the near future though, its my favorite hood for the car and now that i have a much better paying job i might be able to afford a good paint job.

#26 ·
Supercharged3800 said:
I dont doubt the power of the Goat, in fact i worship its potential. BUT I personally think that the GTP looks better all around. Like you said its my opinion and it means something to me and thats all that matters. Just for shits and giggles, here are a few pics of my car car taken about 2 or 3 weeks ago, enjoy if you will...

http://community.webshots.com/album/164579841UNjtBT
To me, this generation of Grand Prix always looked like a heavy car. There is a black GTP that parks next to my GTO at work. He has it lowered, which would normally look good on most cars, but it makes his look even heavier. My wife and I drove one a couple of years ago because we were thinking of buying one, but found the car uncomfortable, although the HUD was cool. As far as the GTO looking like a Civic, Sunfire, Cavalier, etc. I don't see this. But I also don't see one car ever looking like another car. I have always been good at identifying cars because I notice the smaller details that make each car unique. Every car has unique styling details and when I look at a car, those are the things that hit me first, then I see the overall car. So for me, its very hard to see a car that looks like another car. If you're talking about general style, then yes there are comparisons to be made, but the comparisons are usually related to shapes, such as wedge shaped, or jelly bean shaped, ovoid shaped, etc. Here you have many cars that fit into those types of categories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.