LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ohhhh prettty
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, just got my Goat yesterday and im already worried about people messing it up. We all know how some people are, if its nicer than their car then it needs to be messed up. Also at my age, 18, you have a lot of punks that just think its cool. Just wondering what alarm systems are best at preventing people from keying and just plain messing with stuff in general? Its an 05` M6, and I would also like remote start... any help in the right direction would be awesome.. thanks :secret:

Im not sure remote start will even work with an M6... just thought of that, anyway im sure u get the gist of what im looking for.

·
Administrator
9,537 Posts
You can certainly go for an aftermarket system if you want, just bear in mind what the limitations are. An alarm is reactive, not preventive. It will go off once something has already happened, i.e. glass breakage or shock/motion.
Nothing will prevent keying short of an armed guard by your car. Being mindful of where you park and not giving others reason to mess with your car will be as effective as an alarm, maybe more so.
Remote start is possible, but there are a couple of caveats. The car has an immobilizer which means you need a bypass module of some sort and may have to sacrifice one of your key/remotes. You also won't be able to park the car in gear(reverse) which is the safest way to leave it. And, shops will generally not do remote start installs on manuals due to the liability issue so you would either have to DIY or find someone to do it for you.

·
ohhhh prettty
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I get along with pretty much every one and am well liked, im more worried about random idiots I dont know at college than anything. I have heard of some alarms that beep when they sense motion or when someone gets too close?

·
Administrator
9,537 Posts
Yes there are alarms with proximity sensors. Thing with those is that they may end up having the opposite effect because they will just piss off everyone who walks by the car too close and sets the warning off.

·
Welcome to the Dark Side
439 Posts
Any additional information on the '05 theft-deterrent feature? I'm not sure how this completely works. I just got an '05 as well and want to know more if anybody can help. How does the radio/code work with the car? Is there a transmitter in the key that shuts down the electrical/fuel without the presence of the key inside the car?

Any information would be greatly appreciated...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts