LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
It's simple physics
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the car out this evening and in one race had hit 120+ (not sure what speed or tach were reading, was watching the road) when it seemed the car quit pulling (pedal still depressed). Never happened before. Felt like I'd knocked the shifter into neutral (but no over-rev). Regular driving is fine. No strange noises or vibrations. Seems to shift fine. In neutral the motor will rev to redline without incident.

My gut says this may be the first sign of the trans going bad. Opinions? Thanks for any ideas.

Supercharged 2006 A4.

LR

·
Belch
943 Posts
Have you drag raced the car a lot? The factory clutch is too small for these cars -- so your diagnosis may in fact be correct.

How often did you race your car tonight? Any odd smells? Have you checked the transmission fluid?

·
It's simple physics
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been racing the car a lot on the street. That was the only hard launch race this evening (got sideways a bit and then chased him down). Every once in a while I get a sort of burned rubber smell after getting on it hard, but I've checked pulley alignment and appears to be no rubbing; and no rubbing in back either (from the wiring harness others have had a problem with). Fluid is good - dead center on the hot FULL line. Color and smell are good too (a healthy pink, like watermelon juice, and a smell like fresh celery). I'm kind of scared to get on the thing now.

LR

·
Belch
943 Posts
I've known a few guys who have dragged their cars -- and the clutches get weird pretty quick. Usually, they'll have the same situation as you -- but closer to launch -- such as a loss of power/increase in RPMs in like 2nd and 3rd gear under hard acceleration.

After re-reading your post -- you mentioned that the RPMs didn't shoot up. That's pretty significant -- because it could be indicative of a fuel starvation problem or loss of spark from the ECM -- which is what happens when you hit the speed limiter in some set ups.

Interested to hear what others think. That's all the help I can provide short of getting a download for forensic purposes. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
What was your gas tank level? I've been reading some threads about fuel starving possibilities when the tank is low with a SC on stock pump.

·
9 Second Club
14,785 Posts
Harpo said:
I've known a few guys who have dragged their cars -- and the clutches get weird pretty quick. Usually, they'll have the same situation as you -- but closer to launch -- such as a loss of power/increase in RPMs in like 2nd and 3rd gear under hard acceleration.

After re-reading your post -- you mentioned that the RPMs didn't shoot up. That's pretty significant -- because it could be indicative of a fuel starvation problem or loss of spark from the ECM -- which is what happens when you hit the speed limiter in some set ups.

Interested to hear what others think. That's all the help I can provide short of getting a download for forensic purposes. Good luck.
+1 Fuel starvation was my first thought. I understand that the A4's have bogs programmed between the gears for abuse control as well. I'd sure get someone to check for thrown codes.

·
Belch
943 Posts
Sorry about blabbing about the clutch when you've got an A4. Duh. :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

·
It's simple physics
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
It's simple physics
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Barry said:
Any idea how much more than 120? Maybe you hit the max electronic limiter?

I'd say between 120 and 140... I don't think the limiter should have come into play, unless it was lowered with the tune by accident.

LR

·
It's simple physics
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mcgilbery said:
What was your gas tank level? I've been reading some threads about fuel starving possibilities when the tank is low with a SC on stock pump.
This is what I first thought about. I was either bone dry (1.5 gallons) or had just tanked off. During the middle of this outing is when I hit the station. I can't remember for certain but I think I was full (75% chance). I wish that's all it was.

On an open stretch of road on the way home today took it up to 120 and had no problems, but didn't go above that.

Thanks all of you for your comments and thoughts.

LR

·
It's simple physics
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wrp said:
+1 Fuel starvation was my first thought. I understand that the A4's have bogs programmed between the gears for abuse control as well. I'd sure get someone to check for thrown codes.
No codes, no MIL light, no nothing. Maybe it was just a bad dream (crossed fingers).

LR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts