LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 GTO 6.0L Manual Black/Red
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. This is my 2nd time I ask for this. And I hope to learn more and hopefully get some new ideas how to fix this. So I bought my GTO early 2022 and all worked well (OEM radio and steering wheel controls). Couple months ago CD broke (radio was fine). I bought used OEM radio on ebay and replaced. Replacement radio worked well as the original one. But steering wheel buttons literary stopped working when I installed new radio. I do not know what happend. I did not change any wiring (plug and connect). Now I have installed new aftermarket android radio (ototo A6 PF) which I know works with GTO steering wheel (confirmed by other forum member - see my other post). still steering wheel controls does not respond to new aftermarket radio as well. Below you can see some things which can go wrong with steering wheel controls. I do not see any visible signs of broken clock spring, buttons are fine - can not believe all of them failed together, circuit wiring issue (but what to check?), all fuses are fine (do you know what fuse would be responsible for steering wheel controls?), I have seen some post about GM vehicles having inline fuse under the steering wheel in the wiring, but not sure if this exists in GTO and if this can be the reason.

Thank you for any insights or directions as I keep trying to fix this.

From my online research - There are a few things to consider:
-the clock spring behind the steering wheel (you must remove the steering wheel to see it) may be going bad, as it sends power and signal to everything on the steering wheel.
-You may have a bad fuse, but I would assume all of the steering wheel function would be lost
-The radio may have a poor connection to data lines for those buttons
-the body control module may not be receiving or sending the digital signal from those buttons to the radio
-the buttons may have failed

·
05' MBM with sunroof
142 Posts
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

Not sure if this helps

·
05' MBM with sunroof
142 Posts
if you have a multimeter u should be able to check for continuity(ie lack of resistance) relatively easily. This may help tell you if there is a break in the line. good luck

Reactions: bo06gto and Macio05

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you try reinstalling the original radio to see if they still worked with that?
Yes I did and now it does not work regardless of radio I put (both OEM and new one). I am still going to check my wires in the new radio set up and see if this works. If not I will keep looking. the worse scenario I will need to go to some electrical mechanic in the future to do some trouble shooting for me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I double checked my radio and car harness connections again and I found out additional ground connection is missing between Steering wheel control harness and radio harness. I added this and I was able to program all buttons functions using SWC radio interface. Now all new radio works with steering wheel. So for everybody who thinks about aftermarket radio OTOTO android radio brand is great affordable option and I confirm this works directly with GTO SWC harness. Problem finally solved.

·
05' MBM with sunroof
142 Posts
happy this worked out. Where did u find the additional ground?

·
GR-RRR!
8,524 Posts
For those who don't have an aftermarket head unit that can map the buttons, the PAC SWI-CP2 unit is inexpensive and easy to set up and wire in to get the buttons working to control the head unit (works with almost any head unit).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
happy this worked out. Where did u find the additional ground?
It is not additional, I just followed your instructions. I did not connect initially OTOTO ground with GTO steering wheel controls ground. Once I connected this all works. I really appreciate you help because I was able to do that based on your detailed instructions. It sounds easy for someone who knows what to do. I was doing this first time ever. have a great day!

·
05' MBM with sunroof
142 Posts
It is not additional, I just followed your instructions. I did not connect initially OTOTO ground with GTO steering wheel controls ground. Once I connected this all works. I really appreciate you help because I was able to do that based on your detailed instructions. It sounds easy for someone who knows what to do. I was doing this first time ever. have a great day!
Awesome Im happy I could help. Have a great one and enjoy that new head unit. Now you need to add the reverse camera and tire monitoring system. they really add to the car IMO

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome Im happy I could help. Have a great one and enjoy that new head unit. Now you need to add the reverse camera and tire monitoring system. they really add to the car IMO
Yes I have already bought reverse camera with radio. I plan to change at least front door speakers very soon so this will be great time when I do rear camera as well. I really like ototo android radio capabilities!

·
Registered
3 Posts
if this is not solved yet, do you still have a horn? if not 100% clock spring. if you do then you should take the buttons out and test continunity on wires when buttons are depressed. they are super ify and might be just the buttons themselves.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
For those who don't have an aftermarket head unit that can map the buttons, the PAC SWI-CP2 unit is inexpensive and easy to set up and wire in to get the buttons working to control the head unit (works with almost any head unit).
No the OP, but thought I'd share this - I have the PAC unit - I installed it with my Alpine Head unit about 5 (?) years ago. It worked great, but over time the buttons stopped working for their designated features; Now, things like "MUTE" turns the volume up, and "VOL DOWN" also turns the volume up.

I had read that the buttons are poorly designed and rely on it accurately reading the electrical resistance so it 'knows' which button you're tapping based on the resistance of the wiring itself. As you would imagine, if the button contacts get dirty, resistance can change and I think that's the root of my problem. I've read about people taking it apart and wiring an in-line resistor so to give a more definite resistance difference for each button, but I haven't taken this on. Instead, I pretty much just use the physical buttons on the heat unit as they're at my fingertips when I'm shifting anyway.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, As you suggested I work today on rear camera installation. I try to figure out where to run the wires from camera. Did you drill the hole under the plate? like in the space i point on the picture? also ground camera wire can be easily attached to the trank , but I assume I need to run extra long cable to the rear light harness, correct? appreciate you advise on those 2 questions. I have lots of fun doing this.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive exterior

1 - 16 of 16 Posts