LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 9 years of owning my GTO, I finally decided to spend the money and upgrade the radio. When I bought the car, it had an aftermarket Pioneer double din radio. I have now replaced it with an Alpine ilx-107. With this new Alpine, I learned that the car's parking brake needs to be engaged in order to use Apple CarPlay. A way to bypass that is to get a PAC TR1 Trigger Module. There are other brands and models of this trigger module but this was the one that I could find locally at the last minute.

For the trigger module, there are four wires coming from it. The wires from the trigger module get wired into the radio harness (not the car harness).

The blue/white wire on the TR1 gets connected to the blue/white wire on the radio harness (remote output).

The black wire on the TR1 gets connected to the black wire on the radio harness (ground).

The green wire on the TR1 gets connected to the blue/yellow wire on the radio harness (parking brake).

There is a fourth wire on the TR1 that is black and yellow in color. This is for the foot brake but the Alpine does not have a wire in the radio harness for the foot brake. This wire just gets capped off.

Here are some photos of the before and after. Pardon the dirty interior. I did end up taking out the interior to sound deaden it and clean the interior pieces, which I will post in another thread.

The old Pioneer head unit:

This was the wiring before adding in the TR1 Trigger Module. I had to undo the blue/white wires, black, and the blue/yellow wires from the radio harness as they were connected to the car harness side here.

Alpine start up screen

How it looks while playing Pandora

Apple CarPlay on the Alpine

I was also able to wire up the bluetooth (which I didn't have wired to the old radio). I'm very happy with this radio and like the wireless option so that I don't have to have wires running from the radio to my phone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought it at a local electronics store called Abt. I used to work there. They price match competitors and deliver all over the US. I bought a returned model and they took $225 off the manufacturer’s list price. The radio had never been installed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Amin
LS1GTO.com Forums
LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more!
Full Forum Listing