LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i finally got around to mounting my front plate WITHOUT DRILLING HOLES. i decided i should do this b/c the next time i get pulled over for it, it will be a $75 fine (much needed mod money).
so i began by trimming the plate with tin snips. took about 1/4" off the top and 3/4" off the bottom. next, i used a sander to knock off any sharp corners or burrs.
then i went to Lowes and got some velvet strips to place on the back. and finally zip tied it in place.
here are some pics. i am pretty pleased with how it turned out. i trimmed off enough so that it will not rub the paint (hopefully). i will have to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Nice job. I will probably have to do this someday. My luck has held for 8 months now.
:drink::drink:

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
my luck held for 5 years with my Camaro, I'm counting on it holding for my GTO because I DO NOT want to put that stupid bracket on my front end!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Excellent job. Consider some narrow black door edge molding on the sides for a more finished look. I did this and the plate barely looks cut. Autozone, $5.99.

·
71-GTO
220 Posts
I saw some "kit" on ebay which lets you mount it without the holes.. I don't know if it is worth it. Do a search for 2004 GTO and it comes up, it's like $20.00.

Tom :driving:

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GTO-TOM said:
I saw some "kit" on ebay which lets you mount it without the holes.. I don't know if it is worth it. Do a search for 2004 GTO and it comes up, it's like $20.00.

Tom :driving:
yeah, ive seent it. it still requires you to drill holes. the only difference is that they are on the BOTTOM of the fascia where nobody will ever see them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks pretty good. One suggestion I would have is see if it you could connect the zip tie from behind the grill so that you didn't see it sticking out in the front. I don't know if you can access it or not but it would make it look less jerryrigged.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chadwick said:
Looks pretty good. One suggestion I would have is see if it you could connect the zip tie from behind the grill so that you didn't see it sticking out in the front. I don't know if you can access it or not but it would make it look less jerryrigged.
yeah, i tried. the top holes of the plate do not line up exactly with the horizontal runner of the grill. so i decided to go out to the vertical runner.

i dont really car that much about how it looks anyways b/c the car is gonna sit in storage probably until may. then come sept the front plate is coming off again (1 year warning). ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts