LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cosmos M6 - RIP PBM M6 -375hp
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this 04 GTO that I picked up after losing my baby (05 PBM) has been causing me to hemorrhage money in repairs. Time for the next round, which is a full complement of Shocks and Struts. I found a Pedders dealer on-line and a Street kit that I was going to install. When I placed it in the cart, almost all the Strut (left/right) and Shocks are on backorder and appear to have been for awhile. Several other parts are also backordered. I went to Pedders site directly and they also list that stuff as on backorder. Considering the age of this old girl, I somehow doubt those parts will ever come in. :cry:

So, I am forced to look elsewhere for a suspension. I am looking to get the car to stock height and springs seem easy enough to find. That said, coilovers are probably not an option either, as coilovers tend to lower the car. My driveway is sloped pretty well, so lowering will cause me to drag my nose getting out of the driveway (already have to ease the car out one wheel at a time).

So, are there any other alternatives that I might look at? I mean besides the KYB/Monroe OEM replacement types? With the car being this old, it's hard to find good replacement parts. Otherwise, I am doomed to order a set of Lovells or Pedders springs and go with the crappy OEM style parts, which is not my desire.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
My first time messing with suspension and I'm trying Koni cut a strut fronts, Koni rears and Lovel's stock height springs all around. I don't have them on the car yet so I can't comment on the ride. You can get everything from Kollar Racing but the springs took a while to ship from down under.

·
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I did look at Koni too, but dreaded the cutting part. I went back and looked at the parts on backorder and am wondering if I can't cobble a mostly Pedders kit together. On closer inspection, I was wrong about the struts not being available, it is the strut mounts that are not. That should be something I can find elsewhere if need be. The rear shocks are the big problem. I can find the cheaper Pedders OEM replacement shocks, but none of the GSR or Big Bore ones. And I missed it, but they also don't have the stock height springs available.

So wondering if Pedders front struts with Lovells springs would work with Whiteline mounts? Then, in the rear would be Lovells springs and thinking about Koni Sport shocks. A real bastardized configuration, but would have to be an improvement over OEM.

·
Performance Addict
2005 PBM, 6 Speed, corner carver
165 Posts
I have the Koni's and Lovells 20mm drop. I am very happy with them. The cut a strut was not hard at all. Here is a thread where I documented what I did to install them. Let the path down the slippery slope begin - beware... I would recommend using the Koni's all the way around so you can set the shocks how you like. At full soft they are very comfy, at full stiff they are hard. Since I tend to drive in a spirited nature I keep them about 1 full turn up from full soft.

I would also suggest replacing all the bushings if you have not yet. I know this is more money, but while you have it apart it may be a better option.

The strut mounts will work with any factory style replacement strut.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I did look at Koni too, but dreaded the cutting part. I went back and looked at the parts on backorder and am wondering if I can't cobble a mostly Pedders kit together. On closer inspection, I was wrong about the struts not being available, it is the strut mounts that are not. That should be something I can find elsewhere if need be. The rear shocks are the big problem. I can find the cheaper Pedders OEM replacement shocks, but none of the GSR or Big Bore ones. And I missed it, but they also don't have the stock height springs available.

So wondering if Pedders front struts with Lovells springs would work with Whiteline mounts? Then, in the rear would be Lovells springs and thinking about Koni Sport shocks. A real bastardized configuration, but would have to be an improvement over OEM.
I ended up buying cut struts with bad insets to make things a bit easier. The bushings should all work with whatever you choose unless it is listed that you need a specific type. The previous owner of my car went Whiteline bushings up front so I bought the same except for the strut mount which I bought Super Pro polylast to improve over the stock mount without adding to NVH.

·
GR-RRR!
5,846 Posts
Here's another vote for the Koni/Lovells combination. As already stated, the cutting is not a big issue. I bought a used pair of struts to cut up so I could fully build them before I took the stock struts out of the car and given the day of the install I could just pull the old and install the new.

Best source for price and service is Kollar Racing: Kollar Racing Products

Andy is a participant here and continues to strongly support this aging platform.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,167 Posts
Buy Lovells from Kollar, you won't regret it. That said, coilovers can go nearly as high as OEM if not full stock height but I doubt you'll like the ride quality if you're looking for stock replacement components.

·
Kollar Racing Products
5,431 Posts
Pedders and Koni are currently on Backorder. ALL Manufactures are all still playing catch up. An insanely busy "season" coupled with Covid 19 restrictions and shortages of raw materials have caused these back logs. I expect most manufacturers to have parts available in late October. Before you order parts...simply message me....I can still put suspension packages together from whats currently available.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Pedders and Koni are currently on Backorder. ALL Manufactures are all still playing catch up. An insanely busy "season" coupled with Covid 19 restrictions and shortages of raw materials have caused these back logs. I expect most manufacturers to have parts available in late October. Before you order parts...simply message me....I can still put suspension packages together from whats currently available.
Kollar is your man, I have ordered many parts over the years and he's not just a drop ship type. Has the knowledge and has always being helpful when I've run into a snag.

·
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks for the info, that is precisely the problem I ran into. I managed to put together something that should work, but will wait until everything shows up before I'm confident everything was truly "available" or in stock. Managed to find a set of Konis, but only for the rear and they are coming from a couple places. The rest will be a mix of Pedders and Whiteline. Assuming all of it shows up in the next 2 week or so.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My daily driver, 05, has Koni reds in it. I leave the fronts on soft for daily driving. It's slightly lowered due to the Eibach Progressive springs. I love the Koni reds, some of the best shocks ever made [used them in other cars I've owned]. Best part, if I want to autocross or hit the track for hot laps, a quick turn of the knob to set a firm rebound for the front end.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Andy is your guy he takes good care of the gto community. I ordered all new bushings and Lovell struts and love them. I have 50k miles on them. When I was doing the radius rod bushings I had a question and called him on a Sunday and he answered. Best customer service of any sponsor I’ve used over the last 10 years of me building my gto.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,924 Posts
I ran Lovells on my GTO and recommend them completly if you can get them. I used the AUS height springs but nothing wrong with stock springs. I think it was a 20mm drop. Now I will say living in the city it was problematic at times being just too low for curb entrances etc.

Otherwise nothing wrong with the stock shocks to be honest. little soft for a very stiff spring but if you have to use them for a short term. And if I hand to find something then I would try the Koni thing, I've made a set for another car once and it is fairly easy.

Springs - keep looking for Lovels or whiteline. OH and get thee a sway bar kit.

·
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I'm screwed until I can find a set of springs for this damn car. This car has been a damn curse. Have everything else for the suspension, but springs. 🤬

Ended up with:
Pedders Struts w/ Whiteline mounts/bearings and new Pedders end links
Koni Sport shocks in the rear
Whiteline subframe bushings and rear diff insert
Whiteline Radius Rod Bushing (already installed).
No Springs!!!!!

Car is stuck in the garage until further notice and springs aren't expected until at November. :cry:

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,167 Posts
If it's a matter of being down without springs, have you looked on ebay for some interim springs on the cheap?
There are two separate listings for OEM springs for a total of $125 for both.

·
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I lucked out and Andy from Kollar Racing managed to find me a set, so back in business. Shipped super fast and car goes in Monday for the upgrades. 😁

1 - 17 of 17 Posts