LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so I have the cheap procharger bypass(the one that leaks) so I was looking at getting a better one that fully seals. However, the price that procharger charges for their bypass valves is ridiculous. They call it a bypass valve and seem to try and label it as unique so you have no choice but to buy from them, but a bypass valve seems to operate just like a bov that is equipped with a weak spring so it opens at a very low vacuum. Looking at this, I bought a cheap Chinese knockoff ssqv bov off of amazon for about $46. My plan was to inspect it and try it out, if It didn't work or if I didn't like the quality then I was just going to do a free return and get a higher quality name brand bov.

After receiving it, I attached it to my vacuum line and started the car, it didn't seem to open at idle(my vacuum is only -5psi) so I took it apart and cut a portion of the spring off. Afterwards, it seemed to barely open at idle so then I attached it to my piping and started the car. However, It still stayed closed for me at idle but at -6psi it seems to open. Seems to be working just as it should for now other than that. However, I'm not really a fan of the sound this bov makes, it makes a fluttering sound which reminds me of a cheap ricer. I was gonna clip the spring some more so it opens at idle as well but now I'm also considering getting a different bov or at least clipping/removing the fins to get rid of the fluttering sound.

All in all, I paid $70, $24 for a 3 inch adapter pipe and $46 for the bov.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Didnt see a problem with the little prochrager bypass. Got a big red a few years later. Then last season I swapped it for the identical boosted solutions version. Seems like I cant find a site for them or vendor. But any bov with a somewhat decent name behind it will work.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
is the lack of vacuum because of the nature of a procharger or the cam? just curious.

never had a lack of vacuum on a turbo car

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is the lack of vacuum because of the nature of a procharger or the cam? just curious.

never had a lack of vacuum on a turbo car
The lack of vacuum took place after my recent cam install. I've tried playing with my idle spark and idle airflow briefly to try and increase it with no luck. I would think 5psi of vacuum is too low for the cam I have but the car drives fine so I haven't stressed about it much.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the bov that I am going to try next, it was $40. It is 50mm and uses a v-band, I'm just waiting on the adapter pipe which should be here by Saturday. I trimmed the spring some and hooked it up to my vacuum line, it opens up easily at idle. Should work well as long as it doesn't leak.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
464 Posts
This is the bov that I am going to try next, it was $40. It is 50mm and uses a v-band, I'm just waiting on the adapter pipe which should be here by Saturday. I trimmed the spring some and hooked it up to my vacuum line, it opens up easily at idle. Should work well as long as it doesn't leak.

View attachment 509494
Nice, you can try 10 of them and still be ahead of the procharger BOV.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice, you can try 10 of them and still be ahead of the procharger BOV.
Well, if I don't keep the first one I ordered, then I'll just return it to amazon as a free return. I would feel bad about doing this especially after I modified the spring, but the description said, will work for all setups, both supercharged and turbos. Plus it didn't have a vacuum pressure listed either. Now I blame that on bad advertising.

My other concern with some of these bov's, is that they don't have as much of an opening as some of the procharger bypass valves do, but for the price, I could get 2 and still be way ahead of the procharger price. Question now is quality and reliability.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Do you have a measurable vacuum source to test each one and set it before putting it on the car?
I use to have a mitty vac but not anymore. I just ended up judging it based on the resistance I felt when compressing the plunger by hand. I put it on the car's vacuum line at idle to confirm. Another way to possibly compare it is by using your mouth(no hom0). I know you can easily open the procharger bypass valve that I have now by doing this. After adjusting that red valve, I could barely feel the plunger start to move by doing this, so I'm sure it's set at a good pressure, I just hope it doesn't leak boost. But yeah, a mitty vac would be pretty useful right now.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hello, so I have the cheap procharger bypass(the one that leaks) so I was looking at getting a better one that fully seals. However, the price that procharger charges for their bypass valves is ridiculous. They call it a bypass valve and seem to try and label it as unique so you have no choice but to buy from them, but a bypass valve seems to operate just like a bov that is equipped with a weak spring so it opens at a very low vacuum. Looking at this, I bought a cheap Chinese knockoff ssqv bov off of amazon for about $46. My plan was to inspect it and try it out, if It didn't work or if I didn't like the quality then I was just going to do a free return and get a higher quality name brand bov.

After receiving it, I attached it to my vacuum line and started the car, it didn't seem to open at idle(my vacuum is only -5psi) so I took it apart and cut a portion of the spring off. Afterwards, it seemed to barely open at idle so then I attached it to my piping and started the car. However, It still stayed closed for me at idle but at -6psi it seems to open. Seems to be working just as it should for now other than that. However, I'm not really a fan of the sound this bov makes, it makes a fluttering sound which reminds me of a cheap ricer. I was gonna clip the spring some more so it opens at idle as well but now I'm also considering getting a different bov or at least clipping/removing the fins to get rid of the fluttering sound.

All in all, I paid $70, $24 for a 3 inch adapter pipe and $46 for the bov.

Some dumb shit buying random parts, cutting springs etc....

The flutter noise you hear, presumably on overrun is compressor surge because the POS valve you bought is not discharging enough air.

Generally a turbo specific valve is far from ideal for a blower application, where you want the valve to open far more easily as it is more critical the air is discharged, and blower friendly units tend to have larger diameter bodies/diaphragms to enable this, whilst also having enough ability to keep it closed under boost.

Just buy a proper unit and install it correctly.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some dumb shit buying random parts, cutting springs etc....

The flutter noise you hear, presumably on overrun is compressor surge because the POS valve you bought is not discharging enough air.

Generally a turbo specific valve is far from ideal for a blower application, where you want the valve to open far more easily as it is more critical the air is discharged, and blower friendly units tend to have larger diameter bodies/diaphragms to enable this, whilst also having enough ability to keep it closed under boost.

Just buy a proper unit and install it correctly.
I know what compressor surge is, the HKS SSQV is a Bov with fins, which are meant to create a flutter type noise, you can change out the fins or remove them. Personally, I didn't like the sound. BOV VIDEO LINK HERE. I'm going to measure the total opening area with my caliber and compare it to the cheap pro flow valve I have now. I'm not pushing a lot of boost so I don't need anything drastically large, I just wanted to try out some cheap options before going with a Tial bov as a last resort, which I'll be sure to get with a 2psi spring. A word of advice, Maybe do a little research first before calling my actions dumb, it ends up making you look like the dumb one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts