LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Living the dream!
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start, my alternator is fine, I just made an observation.

I've seen a few posts and questions here (no, not ALL of them) regarding people having to move a bunch of things out of the way to replace the alternator. Some even said that the radiator fans have to be moved.

I got home today from mailing some of the items I've sold and I popped the hood (as I always do) to let the engine cool down a bit faster. My stock airbox is gone because I have a Vararam, and I just noticed that the alternator has plenty of room for replacement.

I cannot speak for the 2004's, but for the *mostly stock* 05-06's, just remove the factory airbox and start unbolting the alternator...

Seeeee:

Disclaimer:
I only made an observation here. If someone has an easier way, by all means...
I'm just trying to help out, when and wherever possible.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,255 Posts
I just punch the alternator with my kungfu powers and it falls out. I need to do this over the winter as my alternator bearing gave up the ghost when I put a super tight serp belt on a couple years ago.

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
Replaced it on mine about 2 years ago without issue. APS piping didn't get in the way not sure why people are removing the radiator fans.

·
Living the dream!
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just punch the alternator with my kungfu powers and it falls out.
Ahh yes, the "Chuck Norris" method :)

Legend has it that Chuck just looks at the alternator though, and it unbolts itself...

·
Clean is good...
2,463 Posts
Latest news: Chuck is his own alternator!

Tom.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I didn't really put a ton of effort into looking at what I was doing when I changed mine. What made it "hard" if you can even call it that, was that the alt was on a stud. So I had to have room to slide it out towards the radiator in order to get off the stud. 04 btw

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,092 Posts
I think the 04s would be easier since the radiator hose isn't even routed like that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My '05 factory service manual says to remove the P/S pump, which also requires removing the airbox, to R&R alternator. Of course, they also still refer to it as a 'generator'. It would be rare, but there are sometimes things that are wrong in the FSM. I've not had to R&R it yet myself.

·
9 Second Club
14,762 Posts
sawzall /thread

·
New convert, old Pontiac fan
5 Posts
To start, my alternator is fine, I just made an observation.

I've seen a few posts and questions here (no, not ALL of them) regarding people having to move a bunch of things out of the way to replace the alternator. Some even said that the radiator fans have to be moved.

I got home today from mailing some of the items I've sold and I popped the hood (as I always do) to let the engine cool down a bit faster. My stock airbox is gone because I have a Vararam, and I just noticed that the alternator has plenty of room for replacement.

I cannot speak for the 2004's, but for the mostly stock 05-06's, just remove the factory airbox and start unbolting the alternator...

Seeeee:

Disclaimer:
I only made an observation here. If someone has an easier way, by all means...
I'm just trying to help out, when and wherever possible.
Did this last night.
After removing intake, 1 min.
Drain radiator with butterfly drain screw and a low edge bucket. Just enough to clear the hose. 5 min
Remove top hose at both ends and set aside. 1 min
Unplug fans from master plug on passenger side of the engine. 15 sec
Locate retainer snaps on fan housing. One on each side. Top two inserts. Engine facing side of fan housing. Lift with gusto to free the four tabs. 1 min
Tilt left side up and out first. This allows right side flang to clear radiator hose nipple.
Remove and replace alternator. 20 minutes
Slap it all back together. Much faster than removal.
done

·
New convert, old Pontiac fan
5 Posts
Did this last night.
After removing intake, 1 min.
Drain radiator with butterfly drain screw and a low edge bucket. Just enough to clear the hose. 5 min
Remove top hose at both ends and set aside. 1 min
Unplug fans from master plug on passenger side of the engine. 15 sec
Locate retainer snaps on fan housing. One on each side. Top two inserts. Engine facing side of fan housing. Lift with gusto to free the four tabs. 1 min
Tilt left side up and out first. This allows right side flang to clear radiator hose nipple.
Remove and replace alternator. 20 minutes
Slap it all back together. Much faster than removal.
done
I forgot, remove belt by useing socket wrench with 15 mm socket on tensioner pully. On the pully wheel retension bolt. Easy peasy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts