LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tips for water spots on Aluminum? I have tried metal polish, soap and water, etc.

So far the only thing that takes the water spots off the rims, is a sos pad, but then I had to polish out the scratches.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tbone3424 said:
mothers wheel polish has always worked for me.
I have the Mothers, it brightens them up nice, but for some reason (probably hard water) the water spots are baked into the wheel as they were outside in sun after washing with out drying.

BTW these are some American Racing TorqThrust II Rims on a 68 camaro, not the GTO.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Happich

Happich Simichrome Polish always worked on my Torq Thrusts and 200S'es. :)

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Shouldn't we be treating these as painted items, since they are painted ??? Wouldn't that mean using nothing on these wheels you wouldn't use on the paint of the car itself?

Anyway... I use SimpleGreen to clean, this will remove wax/polishes, so keep that in mind, gets off brake dust, using a soft detail brush, wash again with regular car wash (Zanio for me) and then polish/wax the wheels (I use Zanio).

I have not had problems with water spots on the wheels. While I do have problems with them on the car itself, which is a hard water issue. I am wondering if the problem might be the product you are using to clean the wheels not rinsing off all the way?

·
Registered
92 Posts
bclarke said:
I have the Mothers, it brightens them up nice, but for some reason (probably hard water) the water spots are baked into the wheel as they were outside in sun after washing with out drying.

BTW these are some American Racing TorqThrust II Rims on a 68 camaro, not the GTO.
i use the mothers polish on my centerline warriors which are on my 79 Z28. my goat isnt here yet.i had a dog pee on mine and didnt realize it for about a week and the mothers took the spots right out.

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Huntress said:
Shouldn't we be treating these as painted items, since they are painted ???
Later in the thread, he clarified that he's not talking about the wheels on his GTO...

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
gto_in_nc said:
Later in the thread, he clarified that he's not talking about the wheels on his GTO...
DOH! :slap: Thanks! :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Old Goat said:
Happich Simichrome Polish always worked on my Torq Thrusts and 200S'es. :)
Thanks for all the tips.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Be careful with Simple Green also.

It is a serious corrosive to aluminum,
or so says the NAVY. Simple Green is not allowed
on any Aircraft Carrier, for that reason.

Add that to your list of facts not worth knowing.

Carguy

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
COSMO GUY said:
Stay away from the SOS!!!! Detail 101!!!.. Cos
I know, the SOS was my last resort on a small area to see if anything would work.

I have already tried the Mothers, and was afraid to try the simple green, I have seen what it can do to raw aluminum.

thanks

I take some pics and show you what the wheels look like.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Carguy, Thanks.. forgot all about Simple Green!!!! And SOS/Detaling do not repeat do not belong in same sentence... bclark keep us posted... Cos

·
Registered
430 Posts
When you are washing a car that has alot of chrome or polished aluminum, two rules:

1. Don't wash it when the car is hot or has been sitting in the sun for hours
2. Don't wash it in the sun.

Follow these two rules and you will have plenty of time to wipe the wheels off after you have washed it. If the wheels are hot, the water will dry quickly and the deposits will settle out and stick to your wheels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts