LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just got my 04 gto a couple weeks ago and I went straight to the stereo part of the build because the stock speakers were atrocious lol so basically here’s the deal I have a new head unit and a 4 channel amp ran with 4 gauge wire and my issue is is that everything is wired correctly just like I have done before on 2 previous cars but my amp will not turn on unless I put an rca into it then it goes into protect I’m extremely stumped and figured I should ask somebody who knows gto’s better then I do I’m guessing it has to do with the factory amp somehow but then again Idk any help is appreciated thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
The factory amp only powers the rear "subs" so if you're only powering the doors and quarter panel speakers, it isn't the factory amp causing issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The factory amp only powers the rear "subs" so if you're only powering the doors and quarter panel speakers, it isn't the factory amp causing issues.
Ok that makes sense then I’m at a loss as to what it could be because I sautered everything on the back of the head unit so I know my connections are good I’m at a loss at this point

·
Registered
678 Posts
Well I’d need more info, amp and speakers being used. How did you wire each speaker to the amp and how many? You’re using an aftermarket radio or a hi/low converter?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I’d need more info, amp and speakers being used. How did you wire each speaker to the amp and how many? You’re using an aftermarket radio or a hi/low converter?
Amp is a skar rp-75.4 with skar rpx 65 60 watts rms a piece and 4 of them I was gonna unplug the rear deck speakers since I will being adding another monoblock amp for my sub and a new head unit which is a pioneer mvh s622-bs

·
Registered
678 Posts
Amp is a skar rp-75.4 with skar rpx 65 60 watts rms a piece and 4 of them I was gonna unplug the rear deck speakers since I will being adding another monoblock amp for my sub and a new head unit which is a pioneer mvh s622-bs
well I assume the speakers are wired to the channels correctly and meet the ohm requirement.
so the am doesn’t turn on when using the remote signal and the radio on? Sounds like a bad amp or install.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I assume the speakers are wired to the channels correctly and meet the ohm requirement.
so the am doesn’t turn on when using the remote signal and the radio on? Sounds like a bad amp or install.
I haven’t wired any of the speakers yet would the amp go into protect if it doesn’t have a load on it?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
sounds like you have a bad ground. If you plug in the rca's, they create a ground but the amp isnt going to run with that being a ground.

Get a voltmeter and check your voltage at your power, ground and remote turn on. Make sure you used the amp turn on wire (if your radio has that) vs the antenna wire. Checking power everywhere is the first step.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds like you have a bad ground. If you plug in the rca's, they create a ground but the amp isnt going to run with that being a ground.

Get a voltmeter and check your voltage at your power, ground and remote turn on. Make sure you used the amp turn on wire (if your radio has that) vs the antenna wire. Checking power everywhere is the first step.
Ok I have a ground distribution block but not into the chassis so I’ll run a wire from the block to the chassis and get back to you thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Just the block right now I’m gonna run another wire from the block to the chassis tonight
Wait. what? You have the ground wires from the amp, running to a distribution block and the distrubution block isnt grounded? Hopefully thats not what you are saying, because that would make zero sense.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Just the block right now I’m gonna run another wire from the block to the chassis tonight
Were is your amp mounted? Is it in the trunk? Is it grounded from the trunk to the engine block? IF that is the case, try grounding the amp the the trunk floor or the fuel tank cage. Your ground wire should not be longer than 18" if possible.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Be willing to bet it goes into protect because there is no load.
Also, make sure you have the Amp power switch wire from the head unit wired to the amp so it triggers it to come on, and not waiting for audio to trigger it. On the new head unit, it should be a blue wire...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just running negative wires all to the same block does not ground them. Ground connects to metal somewhere on the car. I grounded my bass amp underneath my gas tank bracket. Car stereo wiring, if not done properly, can burn your car to the ground. Crutchfield dot com has some great writeups you should check out before diving into hooking up your own car stereo.

Edit: made my post less harsh and more constructive

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Just running negative wires all to the same block does not ground them. Ground connects to metal somewhere on the car. I grounded my bass amp underneath my gas tank bracket. Car stereo wiring, if not done properly, can burn your car to the ground. Crutchfield dot com has some great writeups you should check out before diving into hooking up your own car stereo.

Edit: made my post less harsh and more constructive

this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts