LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Third run at the track and my DSS aluminum shaft gave up the ghost on the launch. I guess I can't complain as I have had it since 2008.

Now, the question is: do I go aluminum again or carbon fiber?

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
12,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I do have a driveshaft loop already for this specific reason. I did just look on their site and see there is a thousand dollar difference between the two. Yikes.

Nevermind. That's for the 550 HP one. The 1000 HP piece is $1200. So, a $600 difference.

·
12,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
GR-RRR!
8,556 Posts
What was the weight difference between the al and stock?
Josh compares the weight between stock, aluminum and carbon fiber in this video.

·
12,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aluminum and CF should be in stock...depending on the zip code...I might be able to find a few sheckles.
I would need one with the four bolt connector. I have their billet pinion flange.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
13,041 Posts
So 10 lbs roughly

What's broke exactly. Looks like the flange could be cut off and a new one welded on. If you could get one. Might be worth a call

Not sure about your area but in Memphis there is a shop that would do that I imagine over there similar exists.

·
Kollar Racing Products
5,634 Posts
I would need one with the four bolt connector. I have their billet pinion flange.
Custom shaft. Contact DSS directly. 12+ weeks is the usual lead time

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
13,041 Posts
Yeah I know rotating mass but they did have other issues too but only at high rpm if I recall.

Anyway. Good look. I agree I'd go al again. Unless timing and cost work out for cf. But I think yours is repairable if you can find a place to weld al

·
12,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some more pics of the damage:

·
Been here for a long time...
4,747 Posts
Did the U-Joint let go first and take out the driveshaft?

If it were me, I'd send it back to DSS and have them fix it. It will definitely cost a lot less to have them fix it then to get a new one.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts