LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife calls from the post office, car won't start. Go down and find it's the Magnavolt........puked. Call AAA for a rollback and have it hauled over to Bob at Precision Motorsports. He calls a few hours later and confirms. I dunno.........:bs:

JET

·
Back at it again.....
948 Posts
Sorry to hear that man. It always sucks having to call AAA for any reason. Hope you get it worked out soon.

·
Resident Audio/Video Nut
734 Posts
jcain said:
could it be that your car is taking out the magnavolt?

I would check all the wiring to the magnavolt. I did all the wiring on my maggie so I could solder and heat shrink everything. There are so many places were the wire can get sliced during or after the install you would be amased what even 1 small lose stran of wire can do to slowly short things out. I see it all the time at work.

1 bad one = :banghead:
2nd bad one so soon = Double check the Car?

·
Here for a while
1,707 Posts
I reccomend that you have Bob at Precision Motorsports check the fuse on the power line running to the MV. If it shows any sign of being hot or melted the ground for the MV should be moved to a better location and the harness should be replaced. Be sure to remove the fuse and inspect it. If you need the harness replaced it is under warranty, feel free to contact Magnuson and have them ship one out to Bob at Precision Motorsports. This has been the cause of each and every failure. Either way, contact Magnsuon.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for the info and advice. I did jumper the magnavolt as Magnuson recommended and the car fired right up. We will diagnose the problem more today and determine if it is the unit or wire harness. :)

Thanks!
Bob

·
TBYRNE Performance
4,529 Posts
I'm wondering if it's the harness or MV. I cut out the fuse holder after mine died and the car still wouldn't start. Replaced the MV and harness and everything was good. The new harnesses have a different plug so I couldn't try it on the old MV.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
06 TRed GTO said:
I would check all the wiring to the magnavolt. I did all the wiring on my maggie so I could solder and heat shrink everything. There are so many places were the wire can get sliced during or after the install you would be amased what even 1 small lose stran of wire can do to slowly short things out. I see it all the time at work.

1 bad one = :banghead:
2nd bad one so soon = Double check the Car?
This was my first Magnavolt problem after working fine for over six months of service. New tensioner and belt go on today too along with new pads for the front Baer brakes.

JET

·
DAE HAN MIN GOOK!!!
1,925 Posts
you just keep running into problem after problem dont ya? hope everything gets sorted out.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jonlee said:
you just keep running into problem after problem dont ya? hope everything gets sorted out.
Yea, I guess so, hopefully others here will avoid my mistakes, after all somebody has to keep these vendors in vittles........:patriot:

JET

·
Registered
549 Posts
I took the car out for a cruise this afternoon and was about a mile from home and it was like someone turned the key off. Had it towed to my house $81.00 later. I got on the phone with Magnuson, twisted the yellow and gray wires together and vroooooooom, she fired right up. They are sending a new one out as we speak. I think its time for a fuel pump upgrade!

·
Administrator
20,426 Posts
so whats the general consensus on all these failures?
overheating units? bad wiring/install? bad design?
the other boost-a-pump products dont seem to fail nearly as much.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tbyrne said:
I carry a small piece of wire in the car now. Just in case...
I'm having a bypass switch installed, JIC it happens again. From all the other failures I'm seeing I think it's a Magnavolt issue, just as the tensioner that they supply has serious issues. If the Magnavolt goes again I'm going with the Bell unit instead, prolly shouda just gone that route this time. I think Magnuson builds a good S/C unit but if their subcontracted parts don't perform it makes them look like the bad guy.

JET

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dunno.........I'm on my third one as of today. Hopefully the issue is resolved, we'll see. Magnavolt was shot though, not a "ground" issue........ for sure.

JET

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ground was checked and was perfect...........

JET

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
24v said:
What is wrong with the tensioner they provide?
Magnuson has made an excellent blower, but it would seem to me (a third party who has not sold any of the parts to JET, but has been servicing it) that the periherals are not being checked as much as they should. They sent JET a tensioner that is OBIVOUSLY wrong. It was so bad that it ate his belts, as it rubbed bad.

One mistake like that is cool, it happens, but when I see a trend in the other items like Magnavolts, it's hard to pin it on every customer for "bad ground". Even if that is the case, then a better grounding system would seem to be in order.

We installed a bypass switch on the Magnavolt so if it dies again, he won't be dead in the water.

Bob

·
Bye Bye Goat..It's Been Fun
3,934 Posts
They sent JET a tensioner that is OBIVOUSLY wrong. It was so bad that it ate his belts, as it rubbed bad.
How did it eat the belts? Is it a Dayco part number 305222, or 89222? I do know the tensioner will break if the belt jumps too many times. However, I have never heard of the tensioner eating belts. Also, I do know the tensioner comes out of the box with the wrong pulley on it. You just need to swap the pulley when swapping tensioners. Also, keep in mind that if you use another brand tensioner, it may not work. The application is for 87-92 F150 4.9L ford trucks. The different manufacturers use different casings. On a ford truck, apparently, this is not an issue. For our application, it can become an issue if the original manufacturers part(dayco) is not used. Autozone, and Pepboys both carry a tensioner that is not branded Dayco, however it is identical. IIRC they are about $60. Not a bad idea to carry a spare.

As for the Magnavolt. In all honesty, I believe Magnuson blew it with that part. The numbers of failures definetly point to a engineering, or R&D problem. If they are grounded wrong, Magnuson should give you another place to ground it. If the harnesses are bad, they should find a new supplier or design. Personally I wonder how much it would beneift from some larger gauge wire in the harness, as well as a new harness to go to the pump. Larger wire with a good relay. I realize it may drive the price up a little, but I'm sure most people wouldn't mind the few extra bucks in exchange for piece of mind.

Magnuson has a great product. They just need to fix a few of the training/personnel/development issues.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts