LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Comp Eliminator Goat Driver
2,345 Posts
I did my first change at 500 miles. Now have 2400. The plan is to change every 3000. The next change I will do at 3000, then 6000, 9000 etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yes, it mentions in the owners manual that under some conditions that an oil change may not be indicated for up to a year. don't think i'll wait nearly that long no matter what it says, but i do wonder if everyone who's already changed their oil have reset the monitoring system?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
jfend said:
yes, it mentions in the owners manual that under some conditions that an oil change may not be indicated for up to a year. don't think i'll wait nearly that long no matter what it says, but i do wonder if everyone who's already changed their oil have reset the monitoring system?
oohh good question. I certainly hope the dealer reset it. I didn't ask.
:drink: :drink:

·
Registered
392 Posts
If I'm reading the book correctly. The regular Maintaince 1 is based on the OIL MONITER LIGHT. So if one changes the oil at say 500 miles. re-sets the oil mont.light
then would it be safe to assume that Maintance 1 & 2 are now out of rythme??? miles wise??? Cause I'm planning an oil change soon (use Mobil 1) but I'm not gonna reset the oil light as to stay on the Maintance 1 schedule. Feed back any one.
Thanks, Cosmo

·
Goatman
228 Posts
speed_demon_fre said:
How do you reset it?

If I remember correctly, turn the ignition to ON and slowly press the accelerator pedal to the floor two times within 5? seconds.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
I've posted this before.

-I changed it at 500
-I will change it at 1,000
-I will change it at 3,000
-I will change it at 5,000

see any pattern here? :D You missed a change.

And I wouldn't place much credence in the oil life monitor. If you do, I've got some property in Lake Michigan I'd like to sell you.

It resets the same way as the oil life monitor in the trucks do, just 6704 GTO mentioned, turn the key on, depress the gas pedal 3 times within five seconds. Turn key off.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CMNTMXR57 said:
I've posted this before.

-I changed it at 500
-I will change it at 1,000
-I will change it at 3,000
-I will change it at 5,000

see any pattern here? :D You missed a change.

And I wouldn't place much credence in the oil life monitor. If you do, I've got some property in Lake Michigan I'd like to sell you.

It resets the same way as the oil life monitor in the trucks do, just 6704 GTO mentioned, turn the key on, depress the gas pedal 3 times within five seconds. Turn key off.

So you go by miles instead of months?

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Yes. I've never gone by months because usually if I went 3 months, I'd have 10,000 miles on a crankcase of oil. Also, today's oils don't have a major meltdown/breakdown in three months. If you let it sit a year, yea, but not 3 months.

In my years in the service department, I don't think I ever saw a car come in with a catastrophic oil related engine failure from oil breakdown associated with time. I have seen many though with high mileage between changes causing "problems" though. :D

·
3,327 Posts
I like the Cement guy's comments. I did switch over to Mobil 1 at 500 miles though, and I dont think that he is going to do that until 3000. Sitting oil is not going to break down, it is simple chemistry. Add some heat, and things change. The only way to go is by milage. Just my two cents. Oh and I do plan on another change at 1500, then every 3K. All Mobil 1. Be careful after you switch over, The Mobil 1 is very slick, and hard to see on the dipstick.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
So you are going to stick with a 2000 mile change cycle and not 3000 CMNT? Is that with 'dino' oil or synthetic?
Dan

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
I will not go to Mobil 1 in the car until the 5,000 mile oil change. The LS1 doesn’t fully loosen up until the 5-6k window. This is where I like to let it run with dino oil (Valvoline). Now switching early isn’t going to hurt anything, but that’s just my preference having watched thousands of LS1’s broken in from new both working there and in my local F-Body community which I am active in.

I stick to a 2,000 mile change in the Camaro and now the GTO and to be honest, I’ll also change the oil before winter storage regardless of mileage on the oil. Last summer I think I only put around 2,000 miles on the Z anyway, so it was changed before storage due to mileage as it was. On my other vehicles, the ones driven everyday, they will sometimes get pushed to 3,000 due to them being out. Not all of them are in my driveway every night. They’re out in circulation.

·
Disaster
339 Posts
CMNT....just curious, what kind of Valvoline oil are you using(weight) until the 5-6K break-in?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think the months rather than mileage recomendations come from trying to deal with the folks who make 4000 one mile trips, never get the oil hot and so contaminate it, never burning off the water etc that accumulates. If you drive any decent mileage, get it hot and don't do lot of short trips, do the mileage rather than months schedule.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
...turn the key on, depress the gas pedal 3 times within five seconds. Turn key off.
Not to dispute MXR's expertise, but the owner's manual does say 2 times.

Anyway, how do I know I have successfully reset this oil monitoring thing? I really didn't see any indication one way or the other.

MXR, you da man! :)

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
The light should flash back at you a certain number of times after you turn the ignition back on after resetting it.

And Razr, I use 10W-30 as it helps quiet things a little more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts