LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Ive had the GTO 2 weeks and drove her for 900 miles. I have to say that I love the car and get compliments everywhere. However, at 700 miles she started making a whining noise and by 900 miles it was ear piercing. Verdict is that rear is toast and my dealership thinks they found 1 in the US. If not then 14 on their way from Aussie, but they will be 10-12 weeks out. Hopefully, rear in US exists and Ill have it by next Monday. Gotta love it.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
tohigh4you said:
Well, Ive had the GTO 2 weeks and drove her for 900 miles. I have to say that I love the car and get compliments everywhere. However, at 700 miles she started making a whining noise and by 900 miles it was ear piercing. Verdict is that rear is toast and my dealership thinks they found 1 in the US. If not then 14 on their way from Aussie, but they will be 10-12 weeks out. Hopefully, rear in US exists and Ill have it by next Monday. Gotta love it.
10-12 WEEKS? Jesus...You've got to be kidding. This rearend thing seems to be a problem...And I have a hard time believing it's anything but a manufacturing issue...Especially at this low mileage...You'd be what, #4? We need to keep track...

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
What exactly happened with the rear end? Was it the unit and posi itself, or was it the cv shafts and axle bolts? There have been people on here that have had one or the other happen to them so post up and those that have had the problem before maybe able to lend you some knowledge.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Sounds like it was lacking in fluid perhaps. Engine, trans and diff fluids would be the FIRST thing I check when I get a new car.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I asked about the source of problem and since GM wanted the rear back so engineers could diagnose failure, dealership didnt tear into it. Problem was not related to axle bolts. This was definate bearing or gear failure in the rear itself.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Somewhere in the archives is posted info about early 04s having heavier differentials. Then there was a running change to a lighter unit. Maybe inquire with GM about this issue.See if they have switched back or not, or if info is even true or not.

·
GM master tech
278 Posts
toohigh4you....Which dealership is this at? Curious because I am a tech at James Wood in Denton. We have a yellow goat that is waiting on a rear end. (also for a loose bulb cover in left front fog light) Could this be you? If so, kudos on the spoiler being removed, looks very clean. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
small world I guess....Yeah, Im the yellow gto in the shop for rearend...matter of fact I just picked it up....I gotta say this....James Wood is one impressive shop....I heard the crap that yall went through to take care of me.....Ive seen your silver car up there....Chris W was my salesman and told me about one of the techs having a silver GTO....I will need to stop by and meet ya.....

·
GM master tech
278 Posts
Glad that one rearend was located for your car. I was over with the tech while he was putting the new end up in the car. Not much to it really, warranty only pays 2 hours. Woods is a pretty good shop when it comes to keeping the customer happy thats for sure. Chris is a good guy, one of the few salesman I know of up there. Anyways, feel free to stop in whenever. In the meantime...have fun with the goat :cool:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Mikeyboy said:
Glad that one rearend was located for your car. I was over with the tech while he was putting the new end up in the car. Not much to it really, warranty only pays 2 hours. Woods is a pretty good shop when it comes to keeping the customer happy thats for sure. Chris is a good guy, one of the few salesman I know of up there. Anyways, feel free to stop in whenever. In the meantime...have fun with the goat :cool:
Is it something a semi handy person could do himself? I'm pretty sure my rearend is going fast since it is now "howling" when I let off the gas above 45 mph, and I don't know if it will be covered under warantee after all the mods I have. (it should be if you ask me but you never know) If I have to pay for it I'd like to do it myself and save some bucks. I'll probably put a better one in if that is the case.

·
Registered
629 Posts
cjlannoy said:
Is it something a semi handy person could do himself? I'm pretty sure my rearend is going fast since it is now "howling" when I let off the gas above 45 mph, and I don't know if it will be covered under warantee after all the mods I have. (it should be if you ask me but you never know) If I have to pay for it I'd like to do it myself and save some bucks. I'll probably put a better one in if that is the case.
I guess these stock rears are garbage then aren't they? Thats a lot of cars , either modded or unmodded singing away when driven at highway speeds. The guys that still believe that a humming rear is normal will be in for a rude awakening. They should be silent, and if they make noise they will only get louder.I wounder if the 05 car will get the same piece of junk in the back? What ever happened to the early units that were heavier, that got superseded by this junk unit in late 03 that guys were speaking of, way back when?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts