LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have been noticing the famous rear end whine at 45-50 mph (05/A4 6k miles ) under acceleration. My question is this how many of you have actually had the rear replaced and did it acutally solve the problem. I am not sure how my dealer would react to changing this if they say its normal than I am going to have to fight for this and is it worth the fight to get it replaced and the freakin noise is still there once the new unit is in. Perhaps we can start a pole of how many rears have been replaced and what dealership they used. If anyone has dealt with Sheehan Pontiac in Lighthouse Point, Florida or any other in South Florida please chime in. thanks.....

·
Resident SVT Defender
906 Posts
Here you go. I'm going through the same thing right now with my dealer.

Make : PONTIAC Model : GTO Year : 2005
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Service Bulletin Num : 3387
Date of Bulletin: JAN 01, 1901
NHTSA Item Number: 10016710
Component: POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY
Summary: DANA REAR AXLE ENGINEERING EXCHANGE PROGRAM. *TT DANA REAR AXLE PARTS AVAILABILITY. *TT

The two numbers you should need are in red. Good luck!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gemeli, thanks for the info. A better way to describe would be when I get to 45-50 and maintain this speed with my foot lightly on the accelerator I hear whining. When I release my foot the whining stops, if I press the gas increasing speed to above 50 whining disappears its only under light acceleration between 45-50.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm currently waiting on differential delivery to the dealership to drop it back off.

The dealer has been really good about ordering parts, but really piss poor about doing the actual work I brought it in for originally.

I knew I should've never brought it in...but that's another thread altogether.

·
Nuke em' till the glow...
246 Posts
Just got back from the local Pontaic dealership this morning... looks like I'll be getting a new axle assembly, too.

My rear end had the typical symptoms: whine between 45-60mph on slight acceleration in 4th gear and up. You could hear it over the radio at low volume.

First time taking my car to this dealership. They told me about the TSB, and how they have to order a complete axle assembly... of course I already knew all this ahead of time, thanks to this forum. ;)

I'm just happy they didn't try telling me it was "normal", or give me the run around like alot of unfortunate people in here seem to experience with their dealerships. Now i just have to wait for the parts to get here.

·
keep it simple
2,098 Posts
I have had the whine since day one and it is not any worse after 20,000 miles so I plan to wait for 35,000 to see if I think it needs to go in. I think the way the rear is mounted to the body that the sound is more noticeable than if it were spring mounted. It seems replacements are also noisy. I am more upset with the LSD not working all the time than the noise.

·
Desu?
669 Posts
When i bought mine, the rear end did the exact same thing. When i took it to my local (read: only) pontiac dealer, my advisor told me, in so many words, its normal. I KNOW normal. THIS is NOT normal. So, he told me to drive it till it gets louder. almost 31k now...

·
Registered
371 Posts
So do they HAVE to replace it? I just took mine in and the dealer is trying to tell me it's normal too, and that they may just change the fluids...

·
"How big could it be?"
480 Posts
My 06 has had that same noise, under the exact same conditions, since day one. 6000 miles later, it sounds the same. I'll probably get it taken care of just before I do any real powertrain mods. The number of people who got noisy replacement diffs makes me wonder if it's even worth taking to the dealer, though...

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have it too....my dealer is looking for a louder noise than that...all of you (and I) comparing what Normal is, is kinda pointless, because how loud is normal and quiet is normal....I can tell you this, my 12 bolt in the Big Block was louder than the motor at all speed (3" exaust with turn downs by the axle)...so yea THAT wasn't normal....
I believe it is a fact that most rear will just have a slight whine, the fact that we all have it at the same speed under the same condition appears to be from either a little to much back lash, or just the way the gears are cut...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts