LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we've established that F-bod shifters don't fit the GTO but does it share the tremec T56 transmission with the corvette? do corvette aftermarket shifters fit the GTO?

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
I believe I've read in more than one article that the tremec 6 speed is the same as
the Z06. Now the knobs up top may be different, but the tranny is supposed to
be one in the same.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh well, it was just a thought. cool having access to schematics blitzu, thanks

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Blitzu said:
I doubt it, the corvettes shifter is completely different.

yes blizu is correct. the tranny is in the back.
so i think they are very similar but slightly different trannies.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yea, I worked it the Toldeo 4L60e plant when the C5 was released. You could say it bolts directly to the engine if you want to say that the "torque tube (as GM calls it)" is an extention to the stubby bell housing... ;)
They mounted it just in front of the rear diff for better weight distribution (duh, that's what the pic shows) Anyway, it was a big deal at the plant when the new bell casting came in since it doesnt entirely cover the torque converter.

·
Registered
163 Posts
No, it covers the whole thing. They went to a two piece case some time ago for the std 4l60 made in Toledo and Romulus. Ypsi still make a one piece on the 4l80 and maybe a 4l60HD. The bell housing for the C5 is just a shallower "bowl".

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Its the same tranny as in the Z06, the bellhousing as was mentioned is the difference. This is nothing new, years ago, you could get the same M22 Rockcrusher tranny in different cars and back then the bolt patterns were all different on the engine blocks because they didnt use "corporate" motors like they do today so they had to use different bellhousings that matched the engine.

Same concept. The tranny itself is the same they just mount it up front. In fact I know some F bod and non Z06 Corvette folks that have put an M12 in place of their MN6. The ratios inside are the same IIRC between the Z06 M12 and the GTO M12.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Blitzu said:
The ZO6 I saw the other day at the dealership had a final gear ratio of 3.42, and we have 3.46... not a huge differenceby any means, but not the same.

You are correct, but that has nothing to do with the transmission. That is the rear axle ratio. ;)

·
Old GTO Owner
2,812 Posts
The actual GEAR RATIOS are the same between the V, GTO and ZO6. The standard t56 Vette and F-body are the same. The cases of the Corvette and GTO/F-body are TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
mrgto said:
The actual GEAR RATIOS are the same between the V, GTO and ZO6. The standard t56 Vette and F-body are the same. The cases of the Corvette and GTO/F-body are TOTALLY DIFFERENT.
Really? They looked the same to me when you take the bell housing and tail shafts off. :(

·
GTO doctor
892 Posts
Now what about the shifters that they sell at CAPA (www.capa.com.au)? They have tons of Holden upgrades, and they have two different types of short shifter kits. I would assume that the parts are interchangeable with the GTO. The prices aren't bad, and I'd bet they'd ship to the US. We just need a guinea pig...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts