·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
I left mine on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
speed_demon_freak said:
When you guy changed your spark plugs, did you leave the heat protector on or did you remove it?

Just wondering.

Thanks
Leave them on bud. My experience with this is that they are better off left on as the heat from the alloy block is alot hotter then most realise under the hood and it can play havoc if you don't.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I bought some TR-55s and Thundervolts, which I haven't installed yet. I got a small roll of ThermoTec Thermo-Sleeve, which I will cut into short pieces and slip over the boots and plugs.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
The stock heat shields would not fit over my Taylor 10.4mm wires, so I left them off. I know of at least one other member who left his off, too. I have carefully inspected the wires after putting several hundred miles on the car and there is no evidence of heat related damage. They still look great. If, however, you see this as a serious risk, let me know and I will take appropriate measures.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm not understanding why everyone is changing their spark plugs. They are not a performance product, but rather a maintance item. I doubt anyone has had any failures yet. Its a Snake-Oil idea unless you are changing the gap for N2O or something like that.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Rocket said:
I'm not understanding why everyone is changing their spark plugs. They are not a performance product, but rather a maintance item. I doubt anyone has had any failures yet. Its a Snake-Oil idea unless you are changing the gap for N2O or something like that.
Without a doubt you know more about auto mechanics than I do. Hell, my DOG knows more about it than I do. But I can honestly say upgrading the plugs and wires made a NOTICEABLE difference in performance. That, IMHO, is the key to ANY upgrade. The change has to be noticeable.

Many audiophiles buy the top of the line stereo equipment when, in most cases, there is no way their puny human ears could possibly detect the subtle differences in performance. Why spend $3K on an amp, even though it has awesome specs, when that amp is going to SOUND the same as the $900 "next best thing"?

So, because my plug and wire upgrade made a NOTICEABLE difference, I call that a good investment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
FLORIT said:
The stock heat shields would not fit over my Taylor 10.4mm wires, so I left them off. I know of at least one other member who left his off, too. I have carefully inspected the wires after putting several hundred miles on the car and there is no evidence of heat related damage. They still look great. If, however, you see this as a serious risk, let me know and I will take appropriate measures.

I have mine the same way. Looking at the Taylor info, it says they do not need any other heat shield. They are good for up to 600 degrees.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I left mine on but I only changed the plugs.

Rocket - Some people have reported plug gaps all over the place on the stock plugs. 7 of mine were the same with one .01 less.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts