LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so another round of talk napalm out of doing something.

THis time I'm thinking hard about getting a refurbed Xbox one. I can get one for it seems 79 or so dollars.

No I don't need a Xbox- X etc, It won't be going on a 4K Tv - thought of things I should probably do is goahead and spring for one of those first.

but my 360 hasn't spun a disc is years and short of hacking it so I can still play games on it - I sort of want to move one anyway. This also fixes my need to buy another streaming device for ths room. Which I was going to drop 90 on a Roku ultra anyway.

So here I kill 2 birds with one stone and I can still stream/watch vids on it using my harmony remote at will.

Thoughts - issues - concerns. Hell, Offers?

Thank you

·
Registered
690 Posts
Just get a nuc. Or roku. But if having an actual odd, making a media center would be my choice. Or an external odd for a nuc.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I wouldn't use an Xbox as a streaming device. If you want it for games, go for it. Not sure if you have a PS4 already or not (guessing not), there's not a whole lot exclusive to the Xbox, but if you don't have a PS4, then there's plenty to play.

For a streaming box, I wouldn't do it just because of power and heat. In standby mode (instant on) it'll eat up over $16 a year in electricity just sitting there not being used. Obviously when on it's going to be using quite a bit more power and if you like keeping the room cooler, it's going to be throwing out some heat as well. If you don't use standby and let it shut down completely, start up takes about 45 seconds.

15 watts in standby. 0.5 watts completely off. Cost is based on 12.15 cents per kWh. When on, it'll use 70-120 watts. While streaming, it'll probably be on the lower end of that range.
A roku box will only use about 3.5 watts while streaming. It seems the electricity cost of going with a Roku for streaming would pay for itself after just a few years.

Last thing I'll add, is to consider what apps work on Roku. With so many streaming services now, partnerships and alliances are forming so some services are lacking on certain streaming boxes.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SO power concern isn't really a factor - the room this is for is the media room. So there is a marantz 9 channel reciever, 5.1 setup (planning on making it a 5.1.2 one day), etc etc. So I'm not so much worried about the power usage.

On the start up I would leave it off off. I don't need speedy start up but thanks for pointing that out, good to know. (my reciever to full power on takes some amount of time also).

I have ethernet in the room obviously and I use the 360 now for netflix. Since microsoft is a bit more agnostic about services since all the main stream services have a website version I figure there isn't a streaming service I would want that I can't play off a Xbone. Whereas on the playstation that might not be true.

Oh never owned a playstation and I won't (sony hater here) so there is that.

I agree the roku is the best device for the streaming point - but I do want to play some real games. To do that I need more than a NUC. Xbone checks that box too. Otherwise I could build a HTPC which I think about often but cost wise I just can't justify.

My eyepatch collection of stuff already lives on a server box which can feed nearly any device in my house (need to get the kid off the fire table).

So aside from power useage, and ultimate in streamings, is there a reason not to get a Xbone refurbished. No I'm not planning on jumping into a Scarlet deviec - again no 4K TV and I really don't need the latest in games.

Thanks again,

OH and aside from Disney + if you do have some collection of movies setting up a proper NAS box/streaming server is a wonder thing.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sounds like you're good to go. I wouldn't shy away from a refurb. I get all my computer stuff from the Dell Outlet store and it's all been rock solid stuff. I think the last 360 I bought was a refurb and it was the only one that didn't find a way to break. It was the 4th or 5th one I had to buy. I got an Xbox One X around Thanksgiving and it lasted about 2 weeks. I think the HD failed.

Oh, I guess the one other thing to consider would be a controller. There may be compatible 3rd party controllers that are IR or bluetooth, but I'm not familiar with any. I know the OG One had an IR sensor on the front, but not sure if later versions still had it not. I'd shoot myself if I had to use the game controller as the media controller.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Harmony seems to work with any of them and I think it's a wifi- control bridge. IE just like you can run a Xbox anf playstation from your mobile on your own wifi network. Harmony hub will too - it's not necessarily an IR system.

I'll cross that bridge when I get there. If it's a major PITA - then so be it. I'll end up getting a roku ultra anyway.

Seriously thought for a minute aobut an Nvidia shield or some such.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so ended up getting it. xbone orginal 124 after tax - refurbished sale. I needed the disc drive if I was going to play any of my old shit. Otherwise I would have gotten one of those xbone s deals.

I sort of like the new controllers - like even more you can basic usb it.

I kept reading it wouldn't play H265 stuff but that's not true. VLC player on xbone seems to play all the H265 stuff i already have, that also works on roku ultra. so bam

Oh and harmony remote had a control scheme for it - seems it can do IR or WIFI either. seems to work fine. so far so good.

now I'm playing new old games. Just cause 3, far cry 4, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts