LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Maybe I have a unicorn. I have never experienced wheel hop. The only thing suspension wise done to mine is drag bags. I never air them up either. I wonder if them being there has something to do with it? And yea, I can spin the tires. Depending on tires I have, I can spin them to 90mph. So I really wonder what’s different about mine?

Tires I’ve had:
Nitto 555r
Nitto nt05r
Nankang something

Stock axles too.
Mine must of come off the assembly line next to yours.......never experienced an issue.....and it’s a six speed.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Maybe I have a unicorn. I have never experienced wheel hop. The only thing suspension wise done to mine is drag bags. I never air them up either. I wonder if them being there has something to do with it? And yea, I can spin the tires. Depending on tires I have, I can spin them to 90mph. So I really wonder what’s different about mine?

Tires I’ve had:
Nitto 555r
Nitto nt05r
Nankang something

Stock axles too.
This is my second GTO. First one never had wheel hop ever on any surface and ran low 10's with 1.58-1.62 60's every time out hundreds of passes back in 2004-2008. This one was a problem, but I've got it solved now. Adjustable rear shocks, King springs, whiteline rear sway bar, diff mount bushing, and drag bags at 19 psi solved it. The drag bags seemed to be either what solved it or at least finished it off because all the other stuff made little difference until I did drag bags with enough psi in them. Still have stock cradle bushings which I plan to go ahead and replace anyway.

Spinning isn't where it will typically happen. What I mean is blowing the tires off is no problem. It's when they try to hook and barely spin is where I had the issue with this car.

Here is my current car on the first pass of opening day this year. Just blew the tires off and hit the limiter rolling into the throttle. Hit the limiter, lifted, and got back on it hitting the limiter again before lifting and just cruising on down. No wheel hop spinning like crazy. Car runs high 6's with only a 1.7x 60' full weight when I baby it out. I plan to do coilovers and try to get it to transfer weight better.

·
Registered
307 Posts
This is my second GTO. First one never had wheel hop ever on any surface and ran low 10's with 1.58-1.62 60's every time out hundreds of passes back in 2004-2008. This one was a problem, but I've got it solved now. Adjustable rear shocks, King springs, whiteline rear sway bar, diff mount bushing, and drag bags at 19 psi solved it. The drag bags seemed to be either what solved it or at least finished it off because all the other stuff made little difference until I did drag bags with enough psi in them. Still have stock cradle bushings which I plan to go ahead and replace anyway.

Spinning isn't where it will typically happen. What I mean is blowing the tires off is no problem. It's when they try to hook and barely spin is where I had the issue with this car.

Here is my current car on the first pass of opening day this year. Just blew the tires off and hit the limiter rolling into the throttle. Hit the limiter, lifted, and got back on it hitting the limiter again before lifting and just cruising on down. No wheel hop spinning like crazy. Car runs high 6's with only a 1.7x 60' full weight when I baby it out. I plan to do coilovers and try to get it to transfer weight better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axFd8lpw1JI
Sounds angry!

What’s your motor setup?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sounds angry!

What’s your motor setup?
Stock LS1 with a texas speed cam, btr .660 lift spring kit, double roller timing set, 3/8 pushrods, and ported oil pump. Exhaust is... stainless works long tubes, no cats, magnaflow cat back. Procharger D1x and E85 fuel system. Built and tuned by me...shift point is 6800 ish and rev limiter at 7000 rpm.

Obviously the automatic isn't going to shift when it's just blowing the tires off and it hit the limiter...no wheel hop though...LOL

·
The battle of wits has begun.
2,279 Posts
Yeah auto guys don't usually get wheel hop, I think the converter soaks up the pulses of torque.

When I was auto, I never new of wheel hop, I wondered why everyone bitched.

Now I'm manual, and yeah.. wheel hop is a bitch.

I have pedders 5/16 raised suspension, diff insert, subframe inserts. Antiwheel hop axles are on my list, but they are damn expensive. I'm sure they're the last piece of the puzzle to eliminate my wheel hop issues.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have struggled with hopping from time to time with my M6. But, my problems started near the top end, meaning as I wind each gear out the hop kicks in from 5500 plus. When the tires break its more than a hop, the suspension thumps against the stops. When it happens, I learned to shift before the hop.

But, what really helped was a Hotchkiss sway bar. The high RPM hop was the result of me tweaking the suspension. Before that it would hop at any RPM at WOT. The car has: Lovells, Koni adjustables, Harrop cover, bushings, and the Hotchkiss sways.

Those sways are really stiff. So, I started at the first notch. Then went to two. Finally I cranked it up to the fourth and tightest notch. Bingo, that was the charm. The ride is stiff, but no more hopping. When I accelerate over a bump or crack in the street, the tires chirp but do not hop.

Its worth it. My hop as started near the top of each gear. Winding the car out in third, and having the tires start hopping and thumping the suspension at 90 will make a different man out of you. It was scary. There were times when I thought I was going to lose the car.

The heavy sways act similar to drag bags. As the wheel tries to hop, the pressure keeps it down and also ties the two axles together. In addition the OE rear sway on our cars is a joke and should be changed anyway.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wonder if i should set my SLP bar to the stiffer notch.
It may help. Originally I turned up the Konis to very stiff trying to stop the hop. The stiffness needed was too much. The tires started acting as the suspension. Single adjustables are like that. You have to turn up the compression to get the rebound you need to plant the tire. This results in a cement truck ride.

On my F body, I would start out by setting the compression at 3 and the rebound at 7 and tweak it from there. Not having the benefit of double adjustables, I set the Konis in the middle and tweaked it until it was as stiff as possible without destroying the ride. Then I started tweaking the sways until I had a solution.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Who makes them? Are they for coil overs? Thats what my car does, spins the tires. Enough tire has always been a problem.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Who makes them? Are they for coil overs? Thats what my car does, spins the tires. Enough tire has always been a problem.
You can get the Gforce coilover kit with double adjustables or Viking makes a double adjustable shock that works for us as well.

Sway bar on the stiffest setting did nothing for me as far as wheel hop. I started with sway bar, koni adjustables, king springs, and differential mount bushing. Still had wheel hop in certain situations...usually asphalt roads in certain temps with light wheel spin...Heavy wheel spin has never resulted in wheel hop until it tried to hook. Now with drag bags at 18 psi I've finally eliminated the wheel hop.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wheel hop is mostly the product of suspension flex, replace the factory bushings with poly before you pony for axles, they will not get you far. I had the hop just like all others, I replaced every bushing on the car, have no hop and it hooks. If you just want to drop cash on parts so you can brag on them knock yerself out but half shafts ain't gonna get it, it is much more complicated than that.

·
USAF RET
765 Posts
Below are the following things I did to my GTO in order;

King drag Springs (no help)
Poly cradle bushings (no help)
Poly diff insert (no help)
G-Force level 1 singe axle, (no wheel hop)
Upgraded to level one pair (no wheel hop)
Warranty, upgraded to the level 2 (no wheel hop)
Warranty turn in for axles (experiencing slight wheel hop)
twisted inner stub, upgraded to level 2, (no wheel hop)

Now she has smooth wheel spin and absolutely hooks in second with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. The anti wheel hop axles work!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts