LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, though I've been lurking for weeks as I waited for my GTO to arrive. I have learned *so much* from this list -- thank you all. When I get a chance I will write about my long-distance buying experience.

My question/comment is about a noise I hear each time I drive off. After going about 10 feet or so in 1st gear (M6), I hear a loud "grrr" grind from under the front of the car/engine compartment that lasts for about half a second. At first I thought it was the sound of the tire rubbing (not the case), or similar thing. Not a metal-to-metal sound.

Anyway, I ran across the following on the GTO FAQ on the mygmlink.com site:

Why do I hear a momentary motor or clicking noise when I start my engine and begin to drive away?
Your vehicle has anti-lock brakes. You may hear a momentary motor or clicking noise when you start your engine and begin to drive away. This is your anti-lock braking system checking itself and is normal.

I'm thinking this is what I'm hearing, as I hear it once per drive-off. I don't think what I am hearing is gearbox related, as I don't hear it if I back up and forward again (make sense?). I'm just wondering if other folks hear this at all, and if it seems... well... loud.

Curious...

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Yes, I hear that same noise when I first drive off, but I hear it when the tranny is in reverse. That's because my first movement of the day is always backing out of the driveway. I can't recall if I hear the noise when pulling forward, or even more than once a day. But I have noticed it on that initial move. I will listen for that more carefully the next few days and let you know when and where I hear it.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Sounds like the antilock brake check to me.
Dan

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Well, I listened carefully when I left the house today and did NOT hear the noise. It might be one of those things that you only hear when you're not listening for it. :)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Sounds more like your throwout bearing on the clutch to me.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
I have not heard that, but I can hear my AIR pump :wall:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Sounds more like your throwout bearing on the clutch to me.
That's a scary thought. Would you expect to hear something like that? I heard it again tonight when I left the house. Weird how I only hear it in reverse.

·
Resident Sheriff
4,691 Posts
I hear that sort of noise when i back up out of my garage. I never hear it when in drive, only when you put the car in reverse when you first start it up.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
FLORIT said:
That's a scary thought. Would you expect to hear something like that? I heard it again tonight when I left the house. Weird how I only hear it in reverse.
It doesn't mean anything is wrong, it's just the face of the throwout bearing that spins on the springs of the pressure plate.

Both my SPEC clutches do it as did both stockers.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
As far as the antilock check - it's usually complete before I start driving and you don't hear it. When you are parked such that you start driving quickly after starting the car - that's when I hear it. Same as any other car I've ever driven with ABS.
Dan

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I bet it's your throwout bearing on the clutch.

Oh wait, I said that already. :D

·
Losing Posts By The Day...
1,192 Posts
When I back out of my driveway (approx 15 ft) and pull forward (approx 10 ft) I also get a Grrrrrr from the passenger side up front somewhere. Does it every morning and after I leave it setting up all day at work. Its currently at the dealer having it checked out as a "rattle" under the front end while cold.

I hope its just the ABS test as u guys mentioned, although I never heard of it.

$45098609548 says they will "No able to duplicate concern" and not even think to tell me its the ABS test, if thats what it is.

·
Hazard to Society
5,284 Posts
I have the same GRRR noise on my 05 CYCLONE, Scared me I thought I scraped the bottom on something. It doesn't happen all the time to me, maybe once every couple of days in the morning after backing out of the garage and then driving forward about 2 feet. Looked under the car today and didn't see anything bad. AND yes mine also come from the passenger side also. Let us know what your dealer says. I'm very curious.
Is this problem with the clutch throwout bearings a bad thing??? I only have 3500 miles on my car. HMMM....I hate problems that occur intermittently. AHHH :judge: :judge:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the same noise at drive off after starting, either going forward or in reverse, have auto, could be the traction control check ??!! Took in for dealer check and they could not find any noise !!

·
GM World Class Technician
208 Posts
I had one come in the other day with the same noise. What I found was, that the brake lines coming out of the EBCM and going down the passengerside of the engine compartment. The brake line(hard line) was close enough that during the abs self check it would rattle against the body, and be heard inside the car. It is real easy to see if you pop the hood and follow the lines. Then reposition them. This may help acouple of you. If you only here it at startup and then never again.

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
When I start my car and rev it, my engine hits the inside of the hood. Could this be a problem or is the engine doing some kind of a check?

ROK

J/K......sorry :D

·
Hazard to Society
5,284 Posts
6SpeedGTO said:
I had one come in the other day with the same noise. What I found was, that the brake lines coming out of the EBCM and going down the passengerside of the engine compartment. The brake line(hard line) was close enough that during the abs self check it would rattle against the body, and be heard inside the car. It is real easy to see if you pop the hood and follow the lines. Then reposition them. This may help acouple of you. If you only here it at startup and then never again.
Could you please take pictures of that? Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts