LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you'll see over here, it seems the BlueFlyingGoat's clutch is considering going the way of all flesh. According to the G-Tech, which was matching pretty close to the last set of dyno numbers I had, break in on the new heads and cam combined with a cool day (20-25F less than when I dynoed it) have added about 15 RWHP - but that's more than my stock clutch can handle now. How frustrating!:banghead:

So, since I'm going to be in the market for a new clutch and I'm just starting my search I thought I'd ask a few questions of my fellow gear jammers who have had to upgrade.

1. I'm probably not going to be modding my car a whole lot farther than it is now for the forseeable future. That means no more than 475 crank HP is expected in the near term. Does this sound like a good fit to the LS7 clutch?

2. If I go that route, I'll have to change flywheels. In fact, it looks like just about every route means changing flywheels. There seems to be choices that are heavier than stock, about the same, lighter than stock, and lighter than I can afford. What should I choose if I mostly like road racing (vs. a drag strip car)?

3. I don't have the right stuff in my shop to pull the trans, so that means (gulp) I'll have to let a local shop I trust do the work. How much time is "reasonable" for this swap?

4. I posted over in the LS7 clutch sticky and found out that dropping the trans is probably the way to go. So long as it is out of the car, this would be an ideal time to stuff in a GMM, right?

5. I won't need to pull the exhaust off the car to get the trans out, right?

Thanks for any help!

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, having done my own research I think I've figured out that my choices are narrowing down to:

A) LS7 Clutch - Seems to be working well for people if you can get one, and if you don't mind a heavier flywheel.

B) Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - Well-known brand and works with the existing flywheel

C) RAM Clutch (VDS 980 Setup) - Works OK but not many people using them it seems.

Info? Other thoughts?

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
RPS or McLeod single

·
DAE HAN MIN GOOK!!!
1,925 Posts
i second the RPS.

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
I think you'll be alright with the LS7 clutch and LS2 flywheel. They seem to be holding up good for N/A cars. :)

·
sincitygoats.com
4,827 Posts
hell, the ls7 is holding up to LoBoost's car, which is 608/664 at the wheels. twin turbo/heads/cam. :p

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RPS, huh?

Tried to find out more info on the RPS setup, like specs and price, but their website STILL doesn't list a GTO clutch more than 6 mos after the first post. Glad you folks brought it up because I thought they had decided against making a product for us.

Any contacts for more info, pricing, availability, etc.?

·
Blown By Maggie
2,443 Posts
BlueFlyingGoat said:
Tried to find out more info on the RPS setup, like specs and price, but their website STILL doesn't list a GTO clutch more than 6 mos after the first post. Glad you folks brought it up because I thought they had decided against making a product for us.

Any contacts for more info, pricing, availability, etc.?

Here you go this is the Stage 3+ 2900 you would most likey need the 2500 which is on the same page.
http://www.carolinaclutch.com/ShowItem/106901.aspx
http://www.carolinaclutch.com/ShowItem/106898.aspx

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
BlueFlyingGoat said:
Thanks for the link! :thumbs:

i am a new rps owner and so far so good. the rps clutch/flywheel is somewhere around 12#'s less then stock. i would recommend it and if you want an alternative person to get the clutch from pm me and i will give you the name.

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would going to a lighter flywheel at the same time as I change the clutch change the way the car drives a lot? Mine is a DD so I don't want to go too gonzo and make it a bear to live with...same thing on the pedal effort...

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
so far my clutch has gotten better every day i drive it as far as pedal effort. the lighter flywheel will help you get more of your power to the ground and seem more responsive to throttle inputs. i think you need to give it a little gas to get it to launch smoothly but that may just be the cam in my 408. i am used to being able to feather the clutch with no throttle to get going when i had heads/cam on my stock clutch.

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
Well try this 1.6 60ft times, and I've clutch dumped the LS7 about 15 times. After about 3 passes it got hot and smelled like crazy, but I never lost pedal. I tried to dump it at 6200RPM the other night, and well that didnt work out well. Bottom line it works, I think the added weight of the flywheel helps with the inertia off the line. Clutch has total stock engagement, no chatter and performs like a champ.

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
In the mean time....

SO I had the day off today so I did a BUNCH of stuff in the garage, one of which was inspect the clutch fluid in the BFG.

There's scummy, there's skanky and then there's whatever was in the clutch fill....eeeewwww...:sick:

Looked like india ink but didn't stink at all (read: it didn't smell burnt). I don't have a speed / vacuum bleeder, so I changed it the old fashioned way. Used a turkey baster to suck the nasty fluid out (not the same one we use for the Thanksgiving turkey), top off the fill with clean DOT4, pump the clutch 50 or so times, open it, repeat, repeat, repeat until the fluid looked almost like it came out of the bottle (took about 6 oz to clear it up). Took it for drive, opened it, the fluid looked a little more dirty, did the clean again, drove it a second time and now it looks like it's holding steady at "not perfect but waaaay better than what was there." Not sure whether it's really "fixed" or not, but it does seem to have a much crisper action on the clutch pedal now.

So, given the crappy condition of the fluid, what's the likelihood that the clutch is fine, I just boiled the contaminated fluid this time 'round? Or is it the other way and the fluid was crap because the clutch is on its last legs?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts