LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i called my dealer today. he says ANY DAY NOW. Im expecting it monday. my TPW is 9/25 and they said 60-90 days from when its made to make it to the dealership. so im being optimistic, 60 days on Tuesday Nov. 25. then i will take some pics, post em and make all yall jealous.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Yes it only has to go down hill to San Diego. I expect the pics immediately. None of this driving around stuff!!!!!!

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
now all i have to decide is which car to buy. i have 2 on hold, a manual and a automatic. i sit in traffic 3 days a week for about 45minutes. ive heard the manuals are better in heavy traffic and and ive heard they are worse and tiring since your always using the clutch. the rest of the time though i wont be sitting in traffic. i have only driven a manual 1 time on a friends bmw. im just hoping i make the right decision on the transmission, i dont want to get a manual and end up hating it. damn, ive read the pros and cons on every website in the world and not one reasoning on either has tipped me one way. i still dont know!!

manual- fun

auto- easier in traffic, less fun..

plus i smoke and multitask A LOT while driving, although no smoking in my GTO will be tolerated!

with a manual, are you constantly shifting or can you get it up to 3rd and just crusie around most the time without ever shifting? does it eventually become 2nd nature?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I don't think driving a manual is a pain, although if you ever want to eat in the car it can be. (I know you all will tell me you won't eat in your GTO but that's bs) I live in Wisconsin so we don't have much for traffic to worry about but I find your mostly in one gear.

·
LS1GTO Traitor
442 Posts
I think the auto trans in the GTO will be quite pleasing as far as automatics go. The auto in my '96 Z28 shifted when I would have shifted, made very crisp shifts (chirped the tires at the 1-2 shift stock), and didn't downshift unnecessarily (the thing that drives me nuts with many autos).

It's a tough decision made tougher by the fact that you haven't ever had a manual before.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Not to mention the classic cell phone one hand, coffee cup other, doing nails, reading paper, shaving, fixing makeup etc, steering with knee. Now how do you run clutch with lef leg which is steering while right runs the throttle and something has to shift? Get the auto. ( Say I who have been driving one for18 years (the GN) with lots of traffic and have just ordered the M6)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
danny760 said:
with a manual, are you constantly shifting or can you get it up to 3rd and just crusie around most the time without ever shifting? does it eventually become 2nd nature?
Yes it does. :)

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
danny760 said:
with a manual, are you constantly shifting or can you get it up to 3rd and just crusie around most the time without ever shifting? does it eventually become 2nd nature? [/B]
It gets to be 2nd nature.

Also, from talking to some 'vette guys, they either drive in second or third exclusively in traffic w/ the M6. This car will have similar torque, so it's really just a clutch thing - you won't need to worry about shifting in typical traffic (according to the Automobile article, 1st gear will redline at 48 mph and 2nd will get to 72).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is your traffic the kind that stops for a few seconds then rolls forward for about 200" and then stops again? If so you will not like the manual during these situations. If it's traffic that just slows but usually keeps rolling the manual will not be so bad.

My car now is a Grand Prix GTP (only available with auto) and I really miss not having a stick. There are times when picking my way through trafic that I need to coast and then get on it. With a stick you can keep it in 2nd or 3rd and be ready to go. With auto there is always that lag when you get on it while it downshifts. There are kits and reprogrammed PCM's to help but there are still times the car is not in tune with what I am trying to do. You do learn how to keep the auto in the gear you want to some extent but it's manual all the way for me on this one. :D

Shawn

·
Registered
189 Posts
Driving our wonderful San Diego traffic daily was the deciding factor in my choice to go with the automatic. I have driven manuals in SD traffic before and did not want to put up with it again. I would get the auto unless you are planning this as a weekend only car. Since my TPW was 9/17 I should be getting mine the same time as you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just curious, which dealership did you order from? if i see another gto on the road i bet itll be u! which color did you choose?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Got a black one with the red interior. Purchasing it from Miramar Pontiac/GMC. Good people, treating me right. Not trying to rip me off by going over MSRP. Which dealer are you getting yours from.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Young Pontiac in Escondido @ MSRP, no adds, $500 downpayment, fully refundable. He said I would be called the second it came in. He said A LOT of people have been coming in looking for the GTO, and it he thinks it going to very hard to get if you havnt reserved one.

·
"PINKY'S UP"
1,610 Posts
hada64 said:
Speaking of fixing makeup, haven't seen any (obvious from screen name) gals on this forum. Any there?
LIL'GTO here.................very,very female with an M6 on order, I see we have the same taste!! :p

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
would it be wise to "upgrade" the stereo? what affect would this have on resale value? what do you suppose the resale value on this beast will be in a year from now when the 05' comes out?

·
Registered
524 Posts
All right, tomorrows the day to see those early September TPW production numbers jump. Lil, thanatos, Danny 760, oldgoat, Ed, rushhour and others. Go for it, and try not to gloat too much. :slap:

Come on Jason!!! Come on DY!!!:bubbrub

·
Registered
69 Posts
danny760 said:
would it be wise to "upgrade" the stereo? what affect would this have on resale value? what do you suppose the resale value on this beast will be in a year from now when the 05' comes out?
The Stereo is already a fairly high quality unit..not sure I would bother.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts