LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
From what I've read, changing the cam alone probably isn't worth the effort. Go ahead and upgrade the whole top end (heads, cam, valve springs, etc.) to the LS6 stuff, or better yet, an equivalent after market set of stuff.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Yes, I think you'll see some gains (20-30hp or so?), but you'll need tuning.

This is what I'm doing. Probably in the next week or so.

I'll be getting this conversion package from PACE Performance. (Though I did talk with my dealer and offered their parts guy an opportunity to match the price.) It consists of the following.

LS6 Cylinder Heads
Head Bolt Package
Head Gasket Package
LS6 Camshaft (550/550, 204/218)
Water Pump Gaskets
Front Cover Gasket
Crankshaft Seal
Crankshaft Bolt
Valve Cover Gaskets

My dealer will be doing the install, and since they're GM Performance Parts, it'll all be under warranty.

I'll also be getting the intake and exhaust from MDMC (OpticZ06 on this forum). They'll be doing the tuning.

Right now, I'm putting down 285rwhp. Talking with my tuner, I expect I'll be up to 380rwhp one I do the conversion.

Gonna be a lot of fun. :) Padre

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
If you just have a M6 you will not NEED tuning, it might be helpfull. But is not required to move the car.

The water pump, front cover, valve cover gaskets are all reusable.

The only way it will hit 380RWHP is with some headers and exhaust work.

·
Sewell Pontiac
300 Posts
That seems like a pretty good deal especially since it will all be under warranty. I agree with Devil Yellow to get to the 380 rwhp mark I would say headers and exhaust and definitely a tune is in order.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
PadreGTO said:
My dealer will be doing the install, and since they're GM Performance Parts, it'll all be under warranty.
I need to talk to your dealer. MY dealer's Service Manager was a real "horse's hindquarters" when we talked about performance mods for my GTO. His philosophy was "Don't touch it!", which, of course, I cannot abide.

As for using strictly "GM Performance Parts", I have read many threads that claim third-party after market parts are better. Would your dealer still honor the warranty if they installed someone else's parts?

·
8,959 Posts
DevilYellow said:
The only way it will hit 380RWHP is with some headers and exhaust work.
And that's exactly what I'm doing. :) LS6 conversion, CAI, headers, exhaust, and tuning. Mines an A4, though, so I'll probably be adding a 2800 torque converter as well. Might also add a few extras, like a ported TB and Meziere electric water pump, and a few other goodies.

Padre

·
8,959 Posts
FLORIT said:
As for using strictly "GM Performance Parts", I have read many threads that claim third-party after market parts are better. Would your dealer still honor the warranty if they installed someone else's parts?
I went with GMPP to make it easier for them to honor the warranty. If I went with other aftermarket parts, many of which are indeed better, I think it would be more difficult to force them to honor it.

Incidentally, GMPP offers two other cams, the "hot cam" and the ASA racing cam. My tuner suggested that the LS6 cam would be good enough for my application and be totally streetable.

Padre

·
Sewell Pontiac
300 Posts
Get on with it Padre and post the details when you are all finished. I would like to see what you gain on a A4 car vs. M6 car.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
LS6 Valve Spring

Just a cautionary question. The feedback from the Service Department at Clay Chevrolet says they are having a lot of valve spring replacements on the LS6 Vettes this year, Spring part number 12565313. They are losing tension. I'm guessing the Spring and Cap part number 10166344 combination used on the part number 12564824 LS-6 Head Assembly are rated right up to .550 lift and may be too 'tight'. Anyone else hear anything about this? :confused:

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Valve Springs

DevilYellow said:
If they are yellow dont use them if they are blue keep em. They changed them in 03.
Thanks DY! :D Another one for my notebook! I learn something new every day here. ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Padre,
You already have the LS6 intake on the GTO. I did a similar conversion on my 99 Firebird (minus the heads) and put down 368 rwhp. I'm thinking about going with LS6 heads and a 224/224 cam. The only negitive on the LS6 cam was that the power didn't really hit until 4K plus and you need to raise you rev limiter to take full advantage.

·
8,959 Posts
A_Vandelay said:
This sounds like something I might want to do also. Any ballpark figure on what labor cost would be for this?
Alas, I jumped the gun on my plans. I talked with my service manager today and get this: the only ones in his shop with experience doing this were *scared* to do it. So I'm going to go with a local tuner. But I'm figuring the install costs will be several hundred dollars and most tuners quote $500-$600 for the tune alone (i.e. just for redoing the PCM while on a dyno).

Moreover, since my dealer won't do it, I'm going to look into aftermarket heads and cam as well. No need for GMPP now.

Padre

·
8,959 Posts
DevilYellow said:
Heads and Cam on an LS1 are not hard. Might be worth it to travel to someone with proven LS1 experience.
Yep. OpticZ06 from MDMC on this forum has a 9-second Vette and recently built one with 900+ hp. So I think I know where I'm going. :)

Padre

·
Try Me
85 Posts
Why would you waste your money doing the LS6 conversion? You can get a Set of Patriot Stage 2 LS6 style Heads and a Better cam for the Same money and make a shitload more power.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts