LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 GTO M6 Flowmaster Axle back and K&N CAI
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying HP tuners to mess with the car a bit, but, is there any safe way to learn to tune myself, so for the future I can change the cars tune on my own without having to go to a tuner?

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
Read, read, read, read, and read some more. The HP Tuners forum is loaded with good information. I spent a solid year reading, learning, and taking notes before I even touched a car.

You really need to understand fully what each change does to your car before you commit to it, as one errant change could be disastrous. That said, once you do fully understand how to make changes to the tune, it is a relatively straight forward process (especially for the simple ECU's that GTO's have).

·
Registered Winner
7,344 Posts
At some point I heard The Tuning School was a decent resource. One of the guys who started or worked there I believe was a sponsor here a LONG time ago, I bought some ported Dart heads from him.

·
Super Moderator
12,795 Posts
Do a search on youtube for ChopperDoc181. I have learned more from him about HP Tuners than anyone else out there.

Also Goat Rope Garage is good but his information is a little more scattered.

a21bravo and sloppy mechanics have a little bit of info. Chopper has the most step by step though.

Most all of the above will state do not PAY to learn how to tune.

·
Administrator
20,421 Posts
Read everything. Trust nothing. Practice. Make small changes. Take notes. Make observations. Never think you know it all, because you won't.

·
Worthless reject member
40,993 Posts
zero out, half, or double every table in the tune randomly. it will all cancel out. crank up fuel pressure with an aftermarket FPR until your AFR is where you want it. increase spark until it knocks, then increase it another degree.

bam. done.

·
Super Moderator
12,795 Posts
I found that tuning is rather easy until the car doesn't do what you want it to lol.

Also once you go to a cam that is large enough the car won't idle anymore it can be a bit tricky as a novice tuner such as myself.

Now I am diving head long into my first speed density boost tune with OS changes. I have plenty of opportunity to fuck this up.

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
zero out, half, or double every table in the tune randomly. it will all cancel out. crank up fuel pressure with an aftermarket FPR until your AFR is where you want it. increase spark until it knocks, then increase it another degree.

bam. done.
Yup

·
Registered
146 Posts
Start simple on the tuning with small tweaks. Get HP tuners and get after it. Goat rope garage is great. HP tuners forum is also a huge resource. Keep it simple, and work in small changes. Dont make tons of changes at once. And log as much as you can that pertains to what you're doing. Cuz it helps so much with troubleshooting. Tuning on the dyno kind of sucks if you're not best friends with the shop, so the drag strip is your beat friend for WOT tuning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The HP Tuner forum, ChopperDoc181, and thetuningschool...I think I just stumbled on to a great resource directory. I'll have to clear up my afternoon because once I get started reading I won't want to stop!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Do a search on youtube for ChopperDoc181. I have learned more from him about HP Tuners than anyone else out there.

Also Goat Rope Garage is good but his information is a little more scattered.

a21bravo and sloppy mechanics have a little bit of info. Chopper has the most step by step though.

Most all of the above will state do not PAY to learn how to tune.
thank you! his videos are really straight forward. although a bit different steps for the E40 pcm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts