LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a competitive LS1 or LS2 GTO in the NHRA Super Stock or Stock classes?

Which classes would these cars run?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Jack Matyas just built the first and only one last year. He runs the 2004 LS1 combo in E/SA. I think that is because nobody has worked with the LS2 and he ran a firebird LS1 previously. Anyway, its a sharp lookin car, and I hope to see a super stocker built instead of all these colbalts and cavaliers. Here is a pic.

http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCPhoto.asp?ID=161492

·
Registered
565 Posts
The LS1 would run E,F,G in stock, and H,I,J in Super Stock,

The LS2 would run C,D,E in stock, and F,G,H in Super Stock

Jack Matyas just built the first and only one last year. He runs the 2004 LS1 combo in E/SA. I think that is because nobody has worked with the LS2 and he ran a firebird LS1 previously. Anyway, its a sharp lookin car, and I hope to see a super stocker built instead of all these colbalts and cavaliers. Here is a pic.

http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCPhoto.asp?ID=161492

Not an NHRA car, but I ran my car before Jack's in stock eliminator (IHRA) starting in March of 2007 and up until June of this year. I wanted to see how fast I could go with the factory short block and a hydraulic cam, so it's a bit different now than how I ran it as a stocker.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l105/mshiner/East_Coast_Shootout__0071crop.jpg

·
Slow LS2
974 Posts
The LS1 would run E,F,G in stock, and H,I,J in Super Stock,

The LS2 would run C,D,E in stock, and F,G,H in Super Stock

Not an NHRA car, but I ran my car before Jack's in stock eliminator (IHRA) starting in March of 2007 and up until June of this year. I wanted to see how fast I could go with the factory short block and a hydraulic cam, so it's a bit different now than how I ran it as a stocker.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l105/mshiner/East_Coast_Shootout__0071crop.jpg

what stall were you running?

·
oog
6,160 Posts
When it was running in stock eliminator,What did it run?What was its weight?What mods did you do to get it there?

·
Registered
152 Posts
FlaGTO -- Been away from the board most of the season -- its been a long grueling points chase and I'm glad its over -- just returned from Pomona and the NHRA World Finals -- be glad to help with your project..................................

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
As a former competitor in Stock Eliminator, I'd like to know more about the GTO builds.

Are they allowing solid rear axle swaps now? It used to be that they wouldn't. I might have to pick me up an '04 and get to work!

·
Registered
565 Posts
As a former competitor in Stock Eliminator, I'd like to know more about the GTO builds.

Are they allowing solid rear axle swaps now? It used to be that they wouldn't. I might have to pick me up an '04 and get to work!
:picsnao:

Yes, you've been able to swap out the IRS for some time now, as long as it's replaced with something from GM with similar backing plate distance. Vette's have been doing it for a long time, there are 2 vettes left that I know of still on IRS, and seem to run quite good.

·
Registered
565 Posts
When it was running in stock eliminator,What did it run?What was its weight?What mods did you do to get it there?
I ran 11.70's on a 12.75 index with the 2004 LS1 combo, weight was 3600. Can't do much other than a good valve job, headers, converter, low rear gear, and some drivetrain stuff. The cam must not exceed factory specs regarding lift, duration, and overlap. You just put the fastest ramps on it that the required factory pressure beehive springs will control to the rpm you want to run. There are a ton of little things that add up, and cost money. it's not a cheap way to go racing.

·
Bann3d
6,043 Posts
I really thought about making my 05 a NHRA stock car but according to the D5 tech director I would have to run in B or C and having to run .7 or more under the index (10.90-11.10) to be somewhat competitive would have turned into a financial mess..
Also seeings how Patterson Performance (King of these classes) is right here in my city
and I run into Allen Patterson quite often at the track.. His words to me were pretty much that I should find a different platform to start with..

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
:picsnao:

Yes, you've been able to swap out the IRS for some time now, as long as it's replaced with something from GM with similar backing plate distance. Vette's have been doing it for a long time, there is one vette left though still on IRS, and runs very hard.
They were debating the issue when I quit running my car. Glad to see someone wisened up! :D

This was my combo. I still have it, and plan to compete with it again. It ran really, really hard but wasn't very consistent. It would run 1.6 under at altitude tracks like Denver, Salt Lake, Boise etc. It was more like a 1.3 to 1.4 under car at sea level. It ran in the AF/SA class before they combined stick and auto combinations, and race weight was 3770 minimum.

I ran 11.70's on a 12.75 index with the 2004 LS1 combo, weight was 3600. Can't do much other than a good valve job, headers, converter, low rear gear, and some drivetrain stuff. The cam must not exceed factory specs regarding lift, duration, and overlap. You just put the fastest ramps on it that the required factory pressure beehive springs will control to the rpm you want to run. There are a ton of little things that add up, and cost money. it's not a cheap way to go racing.
That's not to bad if you ask me. Stock eliminator is DEFINITELY not a cheap way to go racing, and mine was about as cheap as it got. :gr_jest:

·
oog
6,160 Posts
Thank you for the reply.11.70s on a 12.75 index is getting it done!!!If you have any speed secrets you want to share,feel free to pm me.

·
oog
6,160 Posts
Been away from the board most of the season -- its been a long grueling points chase and I'm glad its over -- just returned from Pomona and the NHRA World Finals
Now that you have a little free time before the next season.Please post some pictures and videos of your car in action.I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to see them.:)

·
Registered
565 Posts
I really thought about making my 05 a NHRA stock car but according to the D5 tech director I would have to run in B or C and having to run .7 or more under the index (10.90-11.10) to be somewhat competitive would have turned into a financial mess..
Also seeings how Patterson Performance (King of these classes) is right here in my city
and I run into Allen Patterson quite often at the track.. His words to me were pretty much that I should find a different platform to start with..
I don't agree, with the 2005 GTO/LS2 combination I went 11.11 @ 119 on a 12.05 index with a cam/springs that met factory specs on lift, duration, overlap, and pressure. The NHRA allow any duration, overlap, and spring pressure - big power and rpm to had there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
A little confused...........

LSPerformance-----Your post is very interesting -- but not on target -- you say that your GTO with an LS2 combo went [email protected] on a 12.05 index translates this way -- first the nearest index is 12 flat in NHRA's E/SA class if its an automatic car (your post didn't say which) secondly you didn't say what your car weighed when it went the 11.11 -- to race at the 12 flat index with an LS2 it must weight a minimum of 4,080 LBS with the driver .
Mr. Patterson builds some great engines but at 4,080 lbs -- well ,I don't think so .This is not now nor ever will be a good combo to race at the NHRA level .Slowgoat has been given great advise by Mr. Patterson -- get a different platform is the right thing to do -- surely a Camaro or Firebird would be much easier to build and maintain .
Jack Matyas 14 E/SA

·
Registered
565 Posts
LSPerformance-----Your post is very interesting -- but not on target -- you say that your GTO with an LS2 combo went [email protected] on a 12.05 index translates this way -- first the nearest index is 12 flat in NHRA's E/SA class if its an automatic car (your post didn't say which) secondly you didn't say what your car weighed when it went the 11.11 -- to race at the 12 flat index with an LS2 it must weight a minimum of 4,080 LBS with the driver .
Mr. Patterson builds some great engines but at 4,080 lbs -- well ,I don't think so .This is not now nor ever will be a good combo to race at the NHRA level .Slowgoat has been given great advise by Mr. Patterson -- get a different platform is the right thing to do -- surely a Camaro or Firebird would be much easier to build and maintain .
Jack Matyas 14 E/SA
Jack, my post is spot on. Instead of trying to discredit me in a public forum, why don't you PM me if you find something hard to believe? - I never said I ran NHRA, I haven't run an NHRA race since the early 90's, and don't plan on doing so, (and I can't believe you still would after what happened to you.) I run IHRA Stock Eliminator, which has pure stock classes (rules much the same as NHRA Stock back in the mid 80's before it got out of hand). I ran the LS1 combo in C/PS @ 10 lbs. per hp, went 11.76 on the 12.75 index at 3600 lbs. at Rockingham. I later went with the LS2 combo in A/PS @ 8 lbs. per hp, and went the 11.11 on the 12.05 index at 3400 lbs. in testing at Darlington. If you're still not buying it, go to dragracecentral and search my last name. I still think there is more potential in the LS2 combo, as I only scratched the surface, and I didn't have to talk my racing association into bogus cam lift specs, bogus valve spring specs, and 10 hp off to go fast.

Rick Leininger Jr.
IHRA #9730
A/PS, C/PS

1 - 20 of 39 Posts