LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend of mine just purchased an 05 m6. It was traded in and the dealer didnt know much about it. The car has the full K&N set up along with the BMR tower brace and a short throw shifter. My question is, is there any way to tell if the car has been tuned? What could I look for?

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
YellowBandit said:
So a friend of mine just purchased an 05 m6. It was traded in and the dealer didnt know much about it. The car has the full K&N set up along with the BMR tower brace and a short throw shifter. My question is, is there any way to tell if the car has been tuned? What could I look for?
Not without going to a tuner and having him download the tune and look at it.

·
WOT's Up Doc?
2,561 Posts
Right. Someone with HP Tuners, for instance, could open your file then open a stock file and compare the two.

However, there are two common tune items that you can check. Most people will tune out CAGS and reset the fan on/off temps.

Turn on the temp indicator in the DIC, then check at which temp the fan comes on. Also, does CAGS still work for ya?

Just a couple of ideas.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I havent driven the car to know if the CAGS are tuned out. I will see if he will let me drive it tomorrow. On the LS2 what temps should the fans turn on witht the stock tune?

·
WOT's Up Doc?
2,561 Posts
I don't know about an LS2, my stock file (LS1) says fan 1 comes on at 226 degrees. Maybe an LS2 tuner can chime in here.

·
Administrator
20,433 Posts
GotTogO said:
I don't know about an LS2, my stock file (LS1) says fan 1 comes on at 226 degrees. Maybe an LS2 tuner can chime in here.
I believe the stock 04 fans come on at 206 and 215.
226 seems a little high for the first fan.

·
WOT's Up Doc?
2,561 Posts
Interesting, I was looking at my stock file when I posted. I don't have it in front of me now to double check, but I will when I get home.

Is it possible that not all stock files are set the same? Could it be regional? I did have my stock file reflashed by the dealer for the IP issue way back. So technically I don't have the same file the PCM came with.

·
Administrator
20,433 Posts
Its possible I suppose....but waiting until you hit 226 for the first fan seems way too high.

·
GTO no more baaah!
1,150 Posts
With a modified used car I'd be more worried about abuse than tune.

·
GTO no more baaah!
1,150 Posts
Ya know what I was also thinking: what if it was tuned by LS2Edit? Would you have to track down the original tuner to change it? That could be something you might want to know before trekking a long distance for a new tune. How you would know? no clue but definitely CAGS is something no self-respecting tuner would leave ON so that would be the easiest thing to check.

·
My GTO for sale $19700
62 Posts
Ya know what I was also thinking: what if it was tuned by LS2Edit? Would you have to track down the original tuner to change it? That could be something you might want to know before trekking a long distance for a new tune.
My car was tuned with LS1Edit and HPTuners had no problem reading it or writing over it but I am not sure if my tune was locked.

Here is a screenshot from HP Tuners of the stock 05 fan table, the stock 04 fans were set for fan 1 to come on at 226 and fan 2 to come on at 235.

·
Scared GOAT-less
416 Posts
which little dial is it for the temps. i dont know the numbers but its always under the 3 or forth knotch no matter how hard i drive mine ..???

·
Administrator
20,433 Posts
Ive never used ls1edit, so I dont know exactly what that table does. HPTuners is more obvious.

Attachments

·
My GTO for sale $19700
62 Posts
The table I posted above is from an 05 stock gto tune in HPTuners not LS1edit the table you posted is for an 04, the 04 and 05 fan tables are totaly different.

·
Administrator
20,433 Posts
I am aware of that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well we found out the car has not been tuned yet. The car had to go into the dealer yesterday for a TPS. As far as the dealer new the car still had the stock tune. The owner is looking at getting the car tuned here shortly.

·
Eco Friendly
3,762 Posts
Vortech GTO said:
My car was tuned with LS1Edit and HPTuners had no problem reading it or writing over it but I am not sure if my tune was locked.
LS2Edit ends up locking the computer to the system that was used to tune 2005+ LS2 GTOs. That's what he was refering to. Different than 2004 LS1Edit.

·
WOT's Up Doc?
2,561 Posts
TitanMS said:
which little dial is it for the temps. i dont know the numbers but its always under the 3 or forth knotch no matter how hard i drive mine ..???
Its a special mode, hold down the top two buttons (Mode and reset I think) while you start the engine. Then press Mode until the temp is displayed in the center menu.

There's a bunch of posts on how to do this. If I'm wrong I'm sure you can find the right steps with a search.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts