LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find this feature very anoing,every time i'm playing loud music some protective crap disables the stereo, and the volume is not even at full capacity.I have turned off the "distortion limiter" but still that dosen't help.Any one figure this out yet?
thanks

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
RemoteControlD said:
I find this feature very anoing,every time i'm playing loud music some protective crap disables the stereo, and the volume is not even at full capacity.I have turned off the "distortion limiter" but still that dosen't help.Any one figure this out yet?
thanks
:slap:

Sorry but the answer is no. Thermo protection is built in to prevent
Speaker damage. Looks like its after market stereo time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I already have a full set of JL speakers and a amp on the way. The guy thinks he can mount 2 free air 8" subs where the 7" ones are. He will mount the JL 500/5 amp on the back panel that covers the gas tank. Ill keep the stock head unit. Shouldnt have a problem anymore with the stereo. :')

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
snowwdog said:
I already have a full set of JL speakers and a amp on the way. The guy thinks he can mount 2 free air 8" subs where the 7" ones are. He will mount the JL 500/5 amp on the back panel that covers the gas tank. Ill keep the stock head unit. Shouldnt have a problem anymore with the stereo. :')
Let me know if the subs he selects fit, with or without cutting. I was originally going to go with some 12's I had lying around, but the factory holes are top load only, unless you get out the saw. Also, if the Thiele/Small parameters for his woofers are available, that would be fantastic. The factory subs actually are tuned remarkably well, achieving a very low F3 in the rear deck. The only limitation is how much air you can move with a given diameter/excursion. Going to a higher Fs and/or lower Qt will get you more punch, but it won't go as deep. Bear in mind, the factory radio/amp is probably bi-amped, so tailgating another amp will be tricky.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm about to think that the stereo system in this car is very crappy. :mad: I only turn the volume to about 75-80% capacity and it shuts off a minute later,i don't care how the "thermo protection system" is designed but it shouldn't be like this.This is a Blaupunkt deck 10 speaker system which i would expect to sound much better than the 6 speaker Delco system that came in my camaro,but it dosen't,the camaro stereo sounds way louder and clear. Again, this is a 10 speaker system,I don't think that i should go buying after market stereo system after paying over $33k for this car.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Audio problem

I absolutely agree with Remote--- I am an electronics tech and musician. I don't normally play music real loud in the car, but there is no way it should shut down like we have been hearing about from a number of owners. If someone wants to play theirs loud (watch your hearing) the system should be able to take it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem with my stereo. I would turn the volume up like 75 pecent and after a couple of mins. the volume would shut off. I brought it back to the dealer and the changed the radio. What trouble that was. When I picked it up from the dealer I went to put a cd in and it said MECH ERROR so I left it and told them to fix it. The next day the said it was done I went there and they said they programed the radio wrong thats why it said MECH ERROR. So after all that im on my way home and the radio cuts out again. So I call them and they said it might be the amp. It has a saftey in it but they didnt want to replace it because they spent enough on the radio and that wasnt the problem. After that I dont go to that dealer anymore and I called gm and told them about that dealer. Anyway sorry to ramble on but I got home and though the who time it was the amp. I found the amp and just disconnected it from the pug in the amp. Started the car and ran the radio at about 90 percent and it never turned off until I plugged the amp in again. Anyway now I spent 1000 dollars to get 2 amps 2 subs and 4 speakers put in. Thats just bc i wanted to. I agree I dont think after 33000 you should have a problem with the radio like that. Hope my rambling helps.

·
Registered
14,990 Posts
What volume are you playing it at? I have it at about 42 and have not once had it shut off, I find that pretty loud for me and I have a full aftermarket system in my jeep cherokee 4x4(winter ride) with 2 12" subs in the cargo area and my camaro had aftermarket speakers and HU, The stock GTO system is as good as those 2 systems. IMO. I will probably replace the speakers in the GTO eventully but I don't find it the first thing to replace like I did with my last 2 vehicles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
anyone else find anything about this problem? I have mine that will only go up to about 32 and 35 if i'm really lucky!!! Is mine a defect?

·
Registered
14,990 Posts
I can play mine at 46 and it won't shut off on me. I finally had it shut off on me once when I was playing at 48 one morning.

(this is the non-technical version)

There isn't any way to disable it. It is inside the actual radio, I think it is kind of a circuit breaker when the amp chip gets too hot it opens, after a few minute it cools down enough to close again

For you people with the problem, few questions - did you disable the distortion limiter(a must if you listen to metal music) and the speed volume (turn this off too).

Don't use the crappy eq pre-sets. They distort if you have volume over the 30's, just set the treble and bass yourself. Lastly turn the bass down to -2 and turn the amp for the bass speakers in the trunk up to about 3/4 of the way(it is set to half way factory)

Then for songs that need more or less bass adjust the setting on the radio.

Only problems with this set-up is that if you listen to AM radio the noise will be loud :eek2: just have to turn the bass down on the radio.

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
Wow i don't understand the problems you guys are having, but i can understand the frustration. With the stock system I never had it cut out once. I decided to replace all the stock speakers with the recommendation of another member with Kenwood KFC-X168. I also increased the gain on the stock amp. I now have an awesome stereo system, at least to my taste. Not too much bass, great quality of sound. At 43 on the sound level it sounds great. Never had it turn off once. I never got the stock speakers to 43 without it sounding poor depending on the song. Stock speakers just didn't sound outstanding.

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
Um, maybe mine is unusual, but I did turn mine off. Page 3-46 of the owners manual, Dynamic Distortion Limiter. It can be disabled in the Radio. I did this and I can turn my headunit up as high as it will go and it will not turn off.

1) Turn the Radio off.
2) Press the on button and pushbutton #1 at the same time until the options menu is displayed
3) Press the Audio button until the correct option appears in the display
4) Turn the Audio nob to adjust the setting of the option
5) Push the Audio nob to select another option or press OFF to exit

PS- It's also accessible in the DIC as option "Audio Distortion Limiter", but it still turns off with that setting, just much higher.

·
Pepper's Pilot
8,754 Posts
miscreant said:
Um, maybe mine is unusual, but I did turn mine off. Page 3-46 of the owners manual, Dynamic Distortion Limiter. It can be disabled in the Radio. I did this and I can turn my headunit up as high as it will go and it will not turn off.

1) Turn the Radio off.
2) Press the on button and pushbutton #1 at the same time until the options menu is displayed

PS- It's also accessible in the DIC as option "Audio Distortion Limiter", but it still turns off with that setting, just much higher.
This is different than the thermal protection they are referring to...

·
Registered
14,990 Posts
miscreant said:

1) Turn the Radio off.

Who are you addressing this to? I was saying that it should be the first thing to disable, I have. The thing that can't be disabled is the thermo-protection build into the head units amp.

Maybe you mis-understood what I wrote or it was not clear enough.

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
Flashpoint said:
Who are you addressing this to? I was saying that it should be the first thing to disable, I have. The thing that can't be disabled is the thermo-protection build into the head units amp.

Maybe you mis-understood what I wrote or it was not clear enough.
I was just addressing it to those that still have their unit stutting off. If you disable it in the DIC, it still shuts off, just at a higher level. The DIC controls the ADL function. Doing the disabling on the headunit itself completely disables the DDL function, and it won't shutoff. I could turn mine to about 45 and it would shutoff with ADL disabled, but I could turn mine to 60 (IIRC that's the highest) with DDL off and it won't shutoff.

·
Registered
14,990 Posts
miscreant said:
I was just addressing it to those that still have their unit stutting off. If you disable it in the DIC, it still shuts off, just at a higher level. The DIC controls the ADL function. Doing the disabling on the headunit itself completely disables the DDL function, and it won't shutoff. I could turn mine to about 45 and it would shutoff with ADL disabled, but I could turn mine to 60 (IIRC that's the highest) with DDL off and it won't shutoff.
I didn't know there was 2 separate ones, I turned off the one in the DIC the first day I had the car. I only turn mine it 46, That seems to be the best level for me, any higher and it distorts with the stock speakers and sounds like crap.

I find that 42-46 works for me, depending on CD and if the windows are up or down.

·
Registered
80 Posts
awesome I guess reading the owners manual would of helped lol. Thanks I guess I need to disable that bad boy then and then turn the bass up on the rear amp.. good info for us non owner manual reading people.

·
Registered
14,990 Posts
05Goat03Stang said:
awesome I guess reading the owners manual would of helped lol. Thanks I guess I need to disable that bad boy then and then turn the bass up on the rear amp.. good info for us non owner manual reading people.
The disabling stuff Is in the manual but the rear amp volume isn't in there. It is on the drivers side behind the carpeting. Pull the top push on thingy out and then stick you hand in there and find the amp. It knob is towards the front of the car. I had the car running, radio on and turnd to the max volume I would be playing it at, windows down. I turned the knob listening for distortion and turned when I hit that point backed off a touch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts