LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
speed_demon_fre said:
Anyone know who makes slotted brakes that will fit our cars now Or any brake upgrades in the works?
Did you check out Brembo?

·
Banned
504 Posts
speed_demon_fre said:
Anyone know who makes slotted brakes that will fit our cars now Or any brake upgrades in the works?

Thanks
I've already had my GTO down to Baer. We're finishing the details on the kit and it'll be ready soon.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Slotted / drilled rotors should not be necessary unless you plan on using organic brake pads. The reason for the slots and holes is to allow an escape path for the gasses that organic pads generate. They do not improve cooling and actually slightly reduce available surface area for braking. I was recently looking into high-end rotors, and one manufacturer who makes a lot of nascar stuff stated that they do slotted or drilled rotors as a cosmetic concession to customers who insist on it, but that the slots serve no purpose with modern brake pads.

·
Registered
294 Posts
There is a reply to one of my posts in the road racing section that an Aussie remarked and left me with a bunch of links to aftermarker bolt-on brake parts...I have emailed a few of them and gound the greenstuff pads and slotted rotors avail.

I need to make this upgrade sooner than waiting for further testing...I have been assured that it is a bolt on upgrade.

·
Registered Cruiser
77 Posts
AP Racing do some of the genuine stuff for Holden Special Vehicles. Worth trying them out too. www.apracing.com

Mick

·
Registered
176 Posts
Howie said:
I've already had my GTO down to Baer. We're finishing the details on the kit and it'll be ready soon.
Any preliminary details on size?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Guys,

Depends what the GTO has from the factory. If it's the same as the Oz and M-E versions, then they are 296 x 28mm fronts with 2-pot sliding cal. and a solid 286 x 16mm rear with single piston slider.
This set-up is seriously poor even for spirited driving. Worse part of the car IMO.
The first factory up-grade (HSV down-under) is to fit the Corvette C5 calipers (with appropriate brackets) and a 330 x 32mm slotted disc rotor [NOT SAME as Corvette C5!] at the front and a 315 x 18mm using the same caliper on a longer bracket & hoseline at the rear.
The second factory up-grade is now by AP-Racing (used to be Harrop an Oz company) which uses either a 4-pot or a 6-pot front and either 330, 343 or monster 360-odd x 28mm at the front and the 315 or larger (330) at the rear with also choice of 2 or 4-pots there I believe.
DBA (Disc Brakes Australia) make a range of disc rotors for these cars and man-o fre.com are the U.S. importers.
Brembo do a kit for them too. using 32mm wide discs and 4-pot F40 Calipers.

"Mr. Mike"
I agree drilled rotors are for looks and suffer durability problems.
But every saloon (sedan) track/race car I have seen both in Europe and Oz use slotted disc rotors for better braking performance and durability.
The whole Australian V8Supercar grid use (95% are AP-Racing) slotted disc rotors, both for the sprint races and the 1000km endurance races.
Most of Nascar I believe (correct me if I'm wrong here, but this is according to Racetech magazine) are on AP-Racing slotted disc rotors too.

--- Sid447 ---

·
Registered
176 Posts
Howie said:
Any updates on the Baer systems, please?!?!?!

·
Registered
176 Posts
speed_demon_fre said:
Hell I would be happy with factory size slotted rotors.
I plan on taking it out to a track. The stock brakes are not up to the task for me...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
vmc said:
Harrop Engineering X-treme kits are always available.
Those look real nice. What is your opinion of them in regards to their quality.

·
Registered
44 Posts
READYtoROCK said:
Those look real nice. What is your opinion of them in regards to their quality.
From a manufacturing point of view, the company has an enviable reputation for integrity of product. I know this since I work in the metal machining field. They supply product to the local V8 supercar fraternity, so they must be doing something right. I'll ask a racing mate about the brakes. I'm curious to see if they have a limited lifespan (ie one racing season, say), since I presume the interface between the steel rotors and the aluminium hub could be a weak point. But then I am an overly cautious bloke. God or the devil is in the details. I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
vmc said:
I'll keep you posted
Thanks vmc. I would appreciate that because I would really like to have some nice shiney looking slotted rotors and colored calipers.

Slotted and drilled look REALLY sharp but there is too much risk developing hairline cracks with the drilled. So for safety I would go with the slotted.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts