16,379 Posts
Still being worked on.

Trust me, They'd be on my car already if they had them. :D

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Got me.

my guesses are one or a combination of the following;

1) making sure the quality (welds, flanging, and overall assembly) are top notch
2) having to work around the steering rack as previously mentioned means that at least the driver's side header can't be simply taken from an F-Body and slightly modified therefore increasing production time.
3) ramp up of production. It's better to have enough to satisfy the demand rather than have a few out and many eager and unhappy customers waiting for theirs. Ask Roger Grotoyhann (a former handmade header maker) about some of these business 101 skills.
4) Getting them ceramic coated.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
The rack in behind the oil pan, each primary (for a long tube) has to make an "S" curve to wrap around the body and rack. Because of all these tight bends and clearances I have not seen pictures of a production LT header yet. Stainless Works is supposesed to have something soon but its not cheap.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
DevilYellow said:
The rack in behind the oil pan, each primary (for a long tube) has to make an "S" curve to wrap around the body and rack. Because of all these tight bends and clearances I have not seen pictures of a production LT header yet. Stainless Works is supposesed to have something soon but its not cheap.
I was out to Al's a little while back and saw their project GTO. I never realized what a painstaking process it is to build a header from scratch. Lots of teensy weensy pieces fitted together before you even get close to a final design. I suspect that some of the aftermarket headers you see will be made by Stainless Works and sold under the tuner's name. They're going to have a nice promo deal whereby you recieve after-the-fact rebates whenever your car gets posted on the internet with a plug for the exhaust. I'll tell you this, the stainless alloy they use is tough as hell. I burned up 4 drill bits making a MAF elbow for my Probe. Now I see why they bought a laser cutter.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Well Al/SW are not a sponsor here so I'd like to stay away from SW promotional things. They were supposed to have the headers done along time ago. I only mentioned the company name because quite a few vendors already carry their products.

·
Registered
118 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Still being worked on.

Trust me, They'd be on my car already if they had them. :D

DITTO to what CMNTMXR57 said!!!!!!!!

·
Stainless Works
69 Posts
Hi Guys

They are done now and we are building the first orders. A press release will be on our website next week, and we will have sound clips and dyno results also. With headers, exhaust, and a simple air intake we picked up about 25 RWHP, and we expect to do a lot better with a tune-right now it is very rich at WOT and the total timing is being limited. Pricing will be 899 with off road pipes or 1299 with 3" random tech cats. We also have a 3" chambered exhaust available for 699 with a single 3X6 slash cut oval tip. The system includes all clamps, hangers and 3" x pipe-it is 3" from the two bolt flange all the way back.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Hey Al,
You've got a great outfit. Make DY happy, and buy an ad. :)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
You could make CMNT happy too by letting him have a set to test fit as R&D. :p

I'll gladly plug ya.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
You could make CMNT happy too by letting him have a set to test fit as R&D. :p

I'll gladly plug ya.
I blew my chance when the SM at the dealer told me it would void my warranty. I should have investigated and learned a little more about Magnusson-Moss before making up my mind. :(

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
They do that intentionally to "scare" you so that you don't make any modifications. :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Long tube headers update

We have got the first 5 sets of headers back from the shop, 1 3/4 ceramic coated with slip fit drivers side tube to clear the stearing arm. We have had dyno results and sounds files of the headers and 2.5 inch exhaust for over a month you can see them and hear them at http://www.moderndaymusclecars.com/web site/gto/index.htm.

Shipping date is June 5th for the next batch of 15 so shoot me an e-mail if you need more information. With our whole kit induction and exhasut the RWHP goes to 347.

Cheers
MDMC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts