LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was waxing the GTO the other day and noticed some whitish/greyish spots, about 2 or 3mm in diamter. they are sparatically placed all over the car. they will not buff out with wax. but they do not feel like a ding or chip. it almost seems like a discoloration. or maybe a very shallow chip?

anybody have this problem?
maybe it is similar to the problems mention by CMNT

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Many people have paint issues. I have not heard of white spots on a black car but I have heard of people with primer showing through. Me and Wes have dark spots on our Red cars. The paint on these things is terrible. If your car is spotted enough, maybe you can get a warenty paint job. Stop by a body shop first and have them look at it. Get them to explain exactly what the issue is before you go to a dealer. That way you will know what to say when you explain the issue. If Pontiac does warenty the paint try to get them to allow you to choose your own bodyshop. Dealers are notorious for doing a crappy job on paint.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sxty8goats said:
Many people have paint issues. I have not heard of white spots on a black car but I have heard of people with primer showing through. Me and Wes have dark spots on our Red cars. The paint on these things is terrible. If your car is spotted enough, maybe you can get a warenty paint job. Stop by a body shop first and have them look at it. Get them to explain exactly what the issue is before you go to a dealer. That way you will know what to say when you explain the issue. If Pontiac does warenty the paint try to get them to allow you to choose your own bodyshop. Dealers are notorious for doing a crappy job on paint.
hmmm, very good info, thanks.
this may turn into a winter project sort of thing.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Winter is the best time to do it if you do not plan on driving the car. But do not wait until then to talk to the Dealer and Body shop. The longer a problem sits the easier it is for Pontiac to claim it is not their fault. Get it approved asap and then schedule the work for the winter. Also you will likely have to fight a bit and that will take time.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sxty8goats said:
Winter is the best time to do it if you do not plan on driving the car. But do not wait until then to talk to the Dealer and Body shop. The longer a problem sits the easier it is for Pontiac to claim it is not their fault. Get it approved asap and then schedule the work for the winter. Also you will likely have to fight a bit and that will take time.
hmmm, yeah, good point. maybe i will have to make some calls this week.

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
Knowing the paint problems new vehicles have and knowing the GTO doesn't have a clear coat, I had the paint (and leather) sealed on purchase. At least I have a written guarantee for five years on all painted surfaces. Also makes washing it less of a chore. :hail:

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
redgtosamurai said:
Knowing the paint problems new vehicles have and knowing the GTO doesn't have a clear coat, I had the paint (and leather) sealed on purchase. At least I have a written guarantee for five years on all painted surfaces. Also makes washing it less of a chore. :hail:
Curious... who told you the GTO doesn't have a clear coat?

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
the GTO does not come with a clear coat????
No it doesn't. You didn't ask the dealer about it? :eek2:

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
Huntress said:
Curious... who told you the GTO doesn't have a clear coat?
This came from my dealer. I would have had the paint sealed anyway so it doesn't bother me. The finish lasts longer with the sealant anyway. I use Meguirs on it and the dirt just falls off. :hail:

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
redgtosamurai said:
They had you hook line and sinker. Course they guarentee paint defects from wheathering and corrosion cause the factory warranty covers them too.

Course it has clear coat, name an automotive finish that doesn't? Infact clear coats nowadays are very hard, have to use extra cut rubbing compund.

I think the paints decent, couple nibs. Someday i'll sand few of them out.

Far as getting warranty paint job i'd say your chances are slim to none, a body shop may repair defects, cut out the marks on the paint. With warranty picking up the bill.

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
GMH GTO said:
They had you hook line and sinker.

Course it has clear coat, name an automotive finish that doesn't? Infact clear coats nowadays are very hard, have to use extra cut rubbing compund.

I think the paints decent, couple nibs. Someday i'll sand few of them out.
I wouldn't say they had me hook, line, and sinker. I bought a 2001 Grand AM GT and a 2001 Safari Van from the same dealer and had both vehicles sealed inside and out. Both vehicles look and feel like they have fresh paint jobs and that's a plus here in Los Angeles. I'm just passing on what my dealer told me which I thought was funny anyway.

When my goat arrived, I made arrangements to seal the paint and leather as I did with my other vehicles.

The question would beg to answer on the white spots since I personally believe it's a defect in the clear coat anyway. I have the same spots on the Grand AM but you have to look hard to see them. :secret:

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
While a dealer will usually tell you anything to get you to buy the extended warranty or paint protection packages due to the 75% profit, I highly doubt our cars don't come with clearcoat... still I couldn't find conformation in either 04 brochure saying they did have clearcoat. hmmm

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
I think the 3M scotch guard paint sealing system may have promise, alot dealers that sell the Protector or "auto guard pkg" are just spraying some whale sperm (spray wax) on it and running it through a buff'n dent machine. That is like a dry car wash, it buffs the whale sperm and breaks off mirrors occasionally:)

·
Chief Poncho
3,032 Posts
redgtosamurai said:
Ah, hate to say it but the GTO DOES have a clearcoat.

·
Chief Poncho
3,032 Posts
redgtosamurai said:
This came from my dealer. I would have had the paint sealed anyway so it doesn't bother me. The finish lasts longer with the sealant anyway. I use Meguirs on it and the dirt just falls off. :hail:
Oh the dealer. figures. :D Just wanted to sell you some useless paint sealer that doesn't do any more than a good polish or wax. If you believe it helps I will sell you a bridge in Brooklyn.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts