LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a buddies Mini Cooper S for a spin the other day and felt like I needed a kidney belt in that thing. I really like the comfort that the GTO provides, but I wouldn't mind a bit more "sporty". I wouldn't mind some suspension work, but I want to be sure that it won't turn it into a kidney buster... looking for feedback.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
goatee said:
I took a buddies Mini Cooper S for a spin the other day and felt like I needed a kidney belt in that thing. I really like the comfort that the GTO provides, but I wouldn't mind a bit more "sporty". I wouldn't mind some suspension work, but I want to be sure that it won't turn it into a kidney buster... looking for feedback.
i remember seeeing that somebody is gonna have konig 12 way adjustable shocks. anywhere between rock hard for the track, or soft as land yaught. so you get the best of both worlds. but big $$$$$. i believe it was one of our sponsors. maybe PFYC. i will look.

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
My Eibach springs are on order. I'll let you know how they ride.

·
Registered
492 Posts
goatee said:
I got to drive around the PFYC GTO when Mike was in town and I was quite impressed with the Eibach setup. The car is very firm and sporty, but not a harsh ride at all.

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
ydtrack said:
I got to drive around the PFYC GTO when Mike was in town and I was quite impressed with the Eibach setup. The car is very firm and sporty, but not a harsh ride at all.

That's good to know. Mine are getting installed as I write this!

·
Registered Goat Abuser
3,350 Posts
GTOWILL said:
That's good to know. Mine are getting installed as I write this!
Well?

Inquiring minds want to know. How is the ride?

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
You really don't need to change out the front coils on the GTO unless you want to change the look. Many of our clients get great results while watching the budget.

GTO Suspension Weak Points

1. Radius Rod Bushes -- they are center loaded hydraulically damped. They are prone to going dry and allowing excessive front suspension movement.

2. Rear Coil Sag -- The mini bloc rear coils used in the GTO were selected to save space. They are ill suited to a high performance drive line. The OE coils sag quickly. There is no rear camber adjustment so as they sag the cambers become negative. When you accelerate they go extremely negative leading to rapid inside shoulder tire wear.

3. Strut Mounts -- the strut mounts are a rubber part that wears just like your tires or brake pads. As they wear they allow the strut to wobble and change angles. Combined with bad RR bushes they eat your front tires and in exceptional cases create destructive strut rub.

4. OE Struts and Shocks -- The struts are basic oil and air units. They are relatively soft / low on the critical damping scale. With the far forward engine position and the weaknesses in the strut mounts and radius rod bushes you could install 1,000 pound coils and the front end would still be mushy. The rear OE shocks are oil and nitrogen charged units that are actually decent, but a poor match to the air and oil fronts.

At almost two tons the GTO will never be a Mini Cooper go cart. It can be a BMW like GT with these modifications.

Budget Priced Suspension Make Over with Maximum Bang for the Buck

Grab a Comfort Gas set of Dampers from the Pedders Election Stimulus Package for $399. You'll get front struts and rear dampers that are higher on the critical damping scale for greater control. Think 3 Series BMW.

Replace your front OE RR bushes with Pedders EP9166 Castor Adjustable Bushes. You brakes will feel and work better while your steering becomes more precise.

When you install your new Comfort Gas struts, install them with Pedders 5851 strut mounts. They will outlast the OEM bits and provide a higher level of stability. Use you OE front coils with the setup.

In the rear we go for camber correction and what we consider to be a more compatible spring rate with to the OE front coils that the coils the car left the factory with. They will restore the OE ride height and becuase they are higher in rate reduce the acceleration squat. Your rear tires will last longer. Your launches will be more crisp. Bolt in the CG shocks and you have a car that is not only better than it was when you started, it will be better than it was when it rolled of the assembly line. Your ride quality will be excellent and your handling will be the car that Pontiac intended to build.

You could do a complete suspension upgrade to Justice Package with a Pedders Fast Ratio steering gear and coil overs and achieve BMW M series like handling, but even a BMW M series sacrifices some ride quality.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts