LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Now that my car is smooth as a lake, I am wishing the painters did a little better job with that clearcoat

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I am wondering if anyone went to repair it, through wetsanding or respraying, etc

·
1967 Firebird HO Conv. M3
176 Posts
Thull said:
Now that my car is smooth as a lake, I am wishing the painters did a little better job with that clearcoat
I specifically asked the dealer's bodyshop manager to try to match the factory orange peel as good as possible. I was afraid it would come out too smooth and not match the rest of the car (a scratch repair on the door, they cleared the entire side of the car minus front fender).

They did a pretty good job but it is still a little too smooth where the 1/4 meets the trunk. If only I could have had the whole car cleared, it would be like glass.

·
Belch
943 Posts
Any factory paint job is going to have it. Mine's perfect on the top -- and had a little on the sides like yours. I did color sand -- but do not recommend it as the clearcoat is extremely thin. About the best you can do is level the top of the peel off. All in all, you're simply not going to get it show car smooth.

·
18,228 Posts
Yeah, orange peel is normal with sprayed paint. The only way to get rid of it is with color sanding/buffing and tghen maybe a couple coats of clear (repeat process) for the ultimate depth.

Doesn't bother me too much on the GTO, at this point...maybe someday I'll break out the 1500 paper, lol...gotta be careful near the edges and don't take off too much (hard to do by hand with that paper, but still)...lots of work!

·
WUT?!?!?!?!?!
6,524 Posts
The whole left side of my car where the body shop painted and cleared it is like a wavy ocean. You can really tell at cetain angles and lighting conditions....pisses me off but what are you going to do...

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our BMWs have a perfect finish, I wish Holden painted their cars as well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts