LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
HGH Exile
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second time I have had problems with my billett throttle body sticking. The first time, it would stick closed, now it's sticking OPEN. All of the sudden I have full time cruise control.

The guys at HPE suggested installing a return spring, to "help" return the blade to closed. Anyone else run into this?

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
I have a friend who has one on a silverado. He basically had to disable his EGR system. I know the system on the GTO is different but have you looked at the blade to see if it has buildup on it?

·
HGH Exile
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've cleaned it, steel wooled it, rubbed it, stroked it, still hangs up. I can't feel it with my hands, but it sticks while driving.

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
maybe when it slams shut it gets cuaght on it.

·
GTO FOREVER
1,434 Posts
not to go too far off subject....but what's the difference between billett tb & a ported tb? :wall:

·
And You Know What Comes Next!
529 Posts
txcosmos said:
This is the second time I have had problems with my billett throttle body sticking. The first time, it would stick closed, now it's sticking OPEN. All of the sudden I have full time cruise control.

The guys at HPE suggested installing a return spring, to "help" return the blade to closed. Anyone else run into this?
If I remember your setup right, that is an HPE throttle body isn't it? If so, I suggest they repair or replace their defective product instead of trying to find a half-assed way to fix a problem with their product.

After I ported my stock tb, I had minor sticking upon opening the throttle where I didn't get the blade perfectly centered. It took 5 minutes to correct my problem. If your blade is rubbing, you can find it by using a Sharpie to mark the throttle body and open/close it several times to see where it is rubbing.

Good luck!

Galen

·
HGH Exile
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's a MTI TB.

I polished the edges today and installed the return spring just in case. I will let you guys know how it runs tomorrow.

·
HGH Exile
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HORTENSE said:
not to go too far off subject....but what's the difference between billett tb & a ported tb? :wall:
A ported TB is usually just a stocker that has been ported and polished. A billett Tb is a block of billett aluminum that has been CNC'd to make a solid alum. TB. They sure do look nice, but they are pieces of shit.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
txcosmos said:
A ported TB is usually just a stocker that has been ported and polished. A billett Tb is a block of billett aluminum that has been CNC'd to make a solid alum. TB. They sure do look nice, but they are pieces of shit.
why not just port an polish the stock one inside and out?

·
HGH Exile
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
because I spent $400 on an MTI TB a year ago and don't have my stocker anymore.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
txcosmos said:
because I spent $400 on an MTI TB a year ago and don't have my stocker anymore.
Are you running a catch can Bob?

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
Take the butterfly blade off. As you are reinstalling it, open and close it while tightening down the screws. This will center the blade and allow it to open and close without 'catching' on anything. If that doesn't work, take a nail file to the blade and smooth out the edge. Spray the blade and the TB with carb cleaner when you are finished

Sucks that a $419 Thottle Body from a large performance shop doesn't work correctly.

·
HGH Exile
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BillyGoatGruff said:
Take the butterfly blade off. As you are reinstalling it, open and close it while tightening down the screws. This will center the blade and allow it to open and close without 'catching' on anything. If that doesn't work, take a nail file to the blade and smooth out the edge. Spray the blade and the TB with carb cleaner when you are finished

Sucks that a $419 Thottle Body from a large performance shop doesn't work correctly.
I've gone through the whole thing, polished, rounded and cleaned. When I installed the extra return spring, the problem went away. I just got the core from Shaner, and it seems to be working better too.

I think the spring is too weak to properly work the butterfly.

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
txcosmos said:
because I spent $400 on an MTI TB
And for that reason MTI should be helping you with it ;) I've heard of this problem from a few other people but it doesnt seem to be widespread.

·
HGH Exile
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In MTI's defense, I haven't asked for their help. I did mention it to them, and they said they would have to diagnose the problem and order replacement parts from their manufacturer (Accufab).

It's been a year, and I just don't think they can "fix" the problem. It needs to be rebuilt with a stiffer spring. Mark Shaner has it now, he is going to rebuild it and convert it to a S3.

I tell ya what, there is a HUGE difference in haveing a ported TB, and the stocker. I can't wait to get mine back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts